Who Sang That?

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Nov 15, 2017.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

A bit like the other game only this time let's find the singer/singers who may have made the song famous.

Post either a song title or a line from the song.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

1. "Abba Dabba Homeymoon"

2. "Tennessee Waltz"

3. "Sixteen Tons"

4. "White Christmas"

5. "That's Amore"
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

1 Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter

2 Patti Page

3 Tennessee Ernie Ford (Real name: Kentucky Ernie Fored).

4 Bing Crosby (Real name Harry Lillis Crosby or something like that.)

5 Dean Martin
    6 Tammy

7 Wheel of Fortune

5 Goodnight Irene

6 Born Free

7 I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Good idea, GB. Patti, hope you're OK. Come back when you can.

gb66 likes this.
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

6. Debbie Reynolds

7. Kay Starr

8. ?

9. ?

10. Tony Bennett
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

11. "St. George and the Dranonet"

12. "Wayward Wind"

13. "My Way"

14. "Sixteen Tons"

15. "Ring of Fire"
  6. rockgor

11 Stan Freberg
    12 Gogi Grant

13 Frank Sinatra
    14 T. E. Ford

15 Johnny Cash

Right you are, as usual GB. Maybe Patti will show up and get the the rest. I see I got
    my numbers all verkate. Oy! It isn't easy being green or being Alzy.

I had 12 and 13 on my list. Great minds etc. Probably true of small minds too.

gb66 likes this.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I hope Patti comes back soon. Hope all is well with her.

Nah, only true of great minds! :)

16. "Oh My Papa"

17. "April Love"

18. "Serenade"

19. "Here Comes Santa Claus"

20. "Blue Hawaii"
  8. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Hi All. This game is too hard for me, I don't know any of the answers, haha. Plus, I'm so tired from taking my hubby to appointments two days in a row I can't even see straight - I'm reading this thread and its all a blur.

Be back when I revive.

bct and gb66 like this.
  9. rockgor

Hi Patti, sorry to hear you are all worn out. Hope the appointments are helping hubby.
    Come back when you feel up to it.

8 Goodnight, Irene was made famous by the Weavers back in the 50s.

9 Born Free was written for the movie of the same name by British composer John
    Barry who wrote songs for many movies and won several Academy Awards. In the film
    the singer was Matt Monro. The song is associated with Andy William in the U.S. For
    years I thought Andy was the voice in the movie.

Your latest list has three songs I was intending to post. Yup, great minds from the
    same era.

16 is Eddy Fisher.
    17 is Pat Boone . When Pat was new I had a pair of white bucks.

18 is Mario Lanza if it's the Serenade in the Student Prince. I think I had 4 different
    recordings of that show.

19 Here Comes Santa Clause was sung by Gene Autry who wrote the lyrics. Saw Gene
    and Champion live in 1950.
    20 is Elvis Presley. I never had a pair of blue suede shoes. Never saw any either. The
    Target site has a couple pair for sale. Both about 40 bucks. Look pretty spiffy.

Will come back and post more songs. Going back to bed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, Go rest and feel better! I'm trying to think of more recent songs to post. For some reason my memory of things long ago seems to be better. Can't remember yesterday but remember what happened when I was four years old. Go figure. lol

Rock, these are really oldies but goodies. I had all of Mario Lanza's albums. He was one of my favorite singers. Couldn't act but sure could sing!
    I wasn't really much of an Elvis fan even though I was a teen in the 50's. He just didn't appeal to me. I liked Johnny Mathis and Little Richard, Bill Haley and the Comets, Pat Boone, and Faron Young. Sometimes, Johnny Cash. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  11. rockgor

Hi GB

I had lots of Mario's recordings too. I had both of his Student Prince albums. The biggest
    difference seemed to be that in the duet "When it's summertime in Heidelberg" the soprano
    on one was Elizabeth Doubleday. Can't remember the name of the other one. Met soprano
    Dorothy Kirsten also made two albums of the Student Prince. One with Gordon MacRae who
    was a baritone rather than a tenor.

I read Faron Young's biography earlier this year. The title is "Live Fast, Love Hard"
    taken from his recording of Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young. Like Gordon MacRae he had
    a serious problem with alcohol. You can see Faron on Youtube singing one of Patsy's big
    hits: Sweet Dreams. Does a great job.

I love Pat Boone's voice. But his views on certain subjects are clearly not Christian. Did you
    know he married the daughter of Red Foley, also a singer (High Noon). I was listening to Red
    sing Green Grow the Lilacs only yesterday. I used to have an album of Pat and wife Shirley
    singing duets. Beautiful.

Well, the computer wouldn't work for about 12 hours. Seems to be OK at the moment.

gb66 likes this.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I didn't know Pat B. was married to Red Foley's daughter. I did know her name was Shirley. Do you remember when he, Pat, made a heavy metal album? Yuk. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

21. "I'll Walk Alone"

22. " Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

23 "You're So Vain"

24. "Knock Three Times"

25. "Killing Me Softly"
  14. rockgor

Nope, didn't know Pat made a heavy metal album. I do remember seeing a picture of him
    in a vest, no shirt, a tattoo on his bicep (probably temporary). I guess he was going to
    a Halloween party or some such. Many years ago. Can't remember.

Of the last five songs you posted, I only know one. I'll Walk Alone, because to tell you the
    truth I'd be lonely. I think it's from the 40s; not our teen years. Some gal with a low,
    sultry voice sang it.

Computer has been acting up all day. And I slept much of the day. I hope we're on 26.
    The last stage of Alz is when "Simple tasks become difficult." The next stage is number
    7 which is described in one word: death.

26 How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?
    27 King of the Road. I first heard of that song in an article in Time Magazine about a
    new country-western songwriter.

28 Mockingbird Hill
    29 Both Sides Now

30 Young Love
    31 I Fall To Pieces

15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

26. Patti Page

27. Roger Miller

28. Patti Page

30. Sonny James

31. Patsy Cline

(Had to look a couple of these up) ::(
  16. rockgor

Hi Kids

I think you got 'em all right, GB.* Patti Page was kinda like Frank Sinatra. They both recorded
    almost everything. But Mockingbird Hill is usually associated with Les Paul and Mary Ford.
    Les Paul is also famous as the guy who invented the electric guitar with a solid body. You don't
    need a hollow body to amplify the sound if you've got electric power to do it.

Roger Miller loved puns. (I'm a man of of means by no means). His song Kansas City Star refers to the minor cowboy star and the local newspaper: The Kansas City Star.

Young Love is interesting because it came out in the middle of the 50's and was a hit for
    two singers at about the same time. Sonny James and Tab Hunter. Similar to Dark Moon
    which came out about the same time and was a hit for Bonnie Guitar and for Gale Storm.

Both Sides Now is associated with two gals. The composer was Joni Mitchell. It was a hit
    for Judy Collins. Still remember the first time I heard it.

*Can't find my notes.
    gb66 likes this.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

31. Bali Hai

32. Some Enchanted Evening

33. Hello Dolly

34. Mammy (My Mammy)

35. Gigi
  18. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

31. Juanita Hall (from the musical South Pacific)
    32. Giorgio Tozzi, Mitzi Gaynor (also from South Pacific)
    33. This one was done by just about everyone. However, a most notable was Satchmo, better known as Louis Armstrong. Was also done by the Firehouse Five Plus Two (a group of Walt Disney Studio animators)
    34. Al Jolson (The Jazz Singer)
    35. ?
    gb66 likes this.
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

You are right on all of them! I also think of Barbara Streisand and Carol Channing for Hello Dolly.

35. #35 is Louis Jordan from the movie Gigi. Also by Maurice Chevalier and other artists. Leslie Caron starred in the movie as Gigi.
    dmcduck likes this.
  20. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Probably a little known fact that Satchmo wanted NEVER to record Hello, Dolly. Not sure why. He ended up doing it, though....
    gb66 likes this.

[ advertisement ]