Who Sang That?

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Nov 15, 2017.

1. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

66 John Denver - a tribute to Jacques-Yves Cousteau
    67 Edie Cantor (funny - Cantor comes from the latin for sing)
    I see I've been beaten to the punch on that one.
    68 Neil Diamond
    69 Joni Mitchel

71 Kingston Trio did this one, but so did a whole bunch of other folks

72 Hit the Road, Jack
    73 Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald
    74 Year of the Cat
    75 Horse with no name
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Right you are, GB.

I saw John Denver in a concert when he was singing with the Chad Mitchell trio. It was a
    small, informal concert. Outdoors; the audience sat on bleachers. Had a brief chat with the singers afterwords. A few years ago I discovered that one of the trio lived near me. Was
    now an Episcopalian Priest. Had a chapel in the mountains; around Big Bear, I think.
    Talked to him on phone for a while. His name was Joe Frazier; died a couple years ago.

Saw Dylan twice. Once at the Hollywood Bowl along with a buncha other singers: Pete
    Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Will Geer. The concert was recorded. If you listen
    carefully you can hear me and my wife clapping. Also had pizza with Dylan one night
    in St. Paul before he became famous.

Roy Rogers was my favorite movie star in the days of my yute. Followed by Gene
    Autry. Saw Gene at a rodeo show; it was my 10th birthday. Gordon and I went to
    the Roy Rogers Museum in Apple Valley a decade or two ago. I think the museum was
    moved to Branson. Last I read it had closed down. The Autry museum here in LA's Griffith
    Park is still extant. I'd like to go see it again, but too much walking and standing for me nowadays.

3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I used to watch a soap opera called Ryan's Hope and there was an actor who left the show to become a singer. Later, he became a priest. I wonder if it could be the same person? GB
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

None of the sites I read about Joe Frazier say anything about acting. To add to the confusion
    there was a heavyweight boxer named Joe Frazier.

Duckie, 66-69 are all correct. Both Sides Now was written by Joni Mitchell. The hit
    recording was made by Judy Collins. Two talented artists. W/ re: 2 72 - 75 I don't know.
    But I've heard The Wreck of the E. F. on Youtube. Well, it happened on Minnesota's biggest
    lake. I know Susan Boyle recorded Horse With No name. Year of the Cat I never heard of.

Happy listening, Kids.
  5. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Hit the Road, Jack - Ray Charles
    Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot. Happened on Lake Superior. They did finally find the ship, just out of Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin.
    Year of the Cat - Al Stewart. Probably his most famous song.
    Horse With No Name I was actually thinking of the group America, which recorded this in the early 70's.

[ advertisement ]