"Who Switched off My Brain?" by Dr. Caroline Leaf

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DesertRain, Jun 20, 2008.

1. DesertRain

DesertRain New Member

I know I read some older threads which mentioned "Who Switched off My Brain?" by Dr. Caroline Leaf. I am having a hard time finding them again through the search.

Would you please contact me if you have read or are reading this book? I just ordered it and would LOVE to find others who would like to share with me. It sounds fascinating and hopeful.

Also, I thought about reincorporating EFT (emotional freedom technique) into my healing "repertoire". Along with medications/supplementation and treating my sleep apnea, I am HOPING and PRAYING the added emotional component may bring some results. As of yet NOTHING has helped (approx. 2 frustrating years of trying.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!!
    Hugs, DesertRain
  2. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Although I have never heard of this.

I will look for replies to your post! Hope you get answers!

Good Luck,
  3. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi DesertRain,

I see you're new here; welcome to this message board. I did a quick search on the words of the title and came up with the following search results:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/search.cfm?b=FM&search=who+switched+off+my+brain&searchBy=content">Who Switched Off My Brain -- Search Results</a>.

It looks like Grace54 has mentioned this book several times. I think I'll take a look at it myself.

Again, Welcome :)

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  4. grace54

grace54 New Member

I don't come here often as I have recovered to a large degree and I am living again after years of Fibro/fatigue.

If you do a search for Dr. Sarno and Selfridge and Leaf you will find some posts on these authors that have helped many recover, though the subject is often controversial these people have helped thousands recover from these syndromes.

Dr. Leafs book is amazing in what she and others have discovered about the brain and the mind body connection.I think this is a good book to convince one of how our bodies react to all types of stimuli Dr. Nancy Selfridge has a book out that will actually show you how she recovered from Fibromyalgia with some very in depth emotional/cognitive work.She trained with Dr. Sarno and developed a program tailored to her patients needs. It is not easy work but many who do it often find relief in body and mind. I like to think the years I was on my back were not wasted as I read and tried just about everything I could get my hands on. I needed this type of work and along with nutrition and Spiritual work, I have been able to return to a better life than I had before.

I also enjoy a measure of peace and secutity today that I never new existed. I contribute a large part of my recovery to these Dr's and I am forever grateful for their help. EFT goes along with this type of work and I think another good exercise to help us in our recovery.I hope you heal- Blessings:)
  5. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I also believe that there is a strong connection from our minds to our body. The brain is a very powerful thing and it is what runs our body.

Me and my friends have this saying, "What you think about, you bring about" I have found it to be true.

I watched a wonderful movie that talks about this called, "What the bleep do we know?"

It is very enlightening and very interesting. At the very least it points out a different perspective on things.

Maybe we should start a thread regarding good resources for hope.

6. cct

cct Member

I started reading Dr. Leaf's book, but then I found Dr. Amen's book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life".

Dr. Amen's book was more interesting so I put down Dr. leaf's book. Perhaps after I finish Change Your Brain, I will continue reading Who Swithced Off My Brain.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The body/mind/spirit connection. Many of us here have done a lot of work on our lives to try to bring about more peace and healing. What we heal spiritually will eventually help to heal our minds and bodies.

In the past, we have had strong reactions to these ideas as some mistakenly believe that those who work on their spirits believe we bring our illnesses on ourselves. In other words, "blame the victim." This is not the case but many of us do believe that we have it within our power to help ourselves heal with our minds and spirits.

Being able to achieve peace in one's life is a healthy thing. I also didn't waste my down time either. I read, meditated, and learned a lot. If there is a silver lining to my illnesses, it's that I have grown in spirit through my challenges and have come to a greater faith than I had before.

Love, Mikie
  8. grace54

grace54 New Member

Long time no see:) I was just wondering how you were getting along.It is an odd notion nowadays that we must befriend our adversity and try to understand what it can teach us. But all kinds of pain, be it spiritual, physical, or emotional are the beginnings of growth.

Chronic pain has scientists baffled, they know that acute pain is a warning sign that something needs attention but these syndromes have baffled them. In my case the chronic pain and exhaustion was my body closing down and not being able to heal.I needed to discover why and the truth of the matter was that I was not taking care of myself. My thoughts were out of harmony with right living and my body was not being nourished properly.

Though blame implies intent, and few intend to be sick; I would call it neglect in my case. And with that neglect I brought it on myself I believe. I also believe that until we move past feeling victimised and that the world somehow has caused us to be ill that we wont heal.I had to discover why my body allowed this illness to enter in the first place as it doesn't really matter what symptom or infection we may find as there are thousands of diseases just waiting to enter a host if our immune system and other systems are down.

I didn't mean to make this so long but we have a rainy day here and I had some time to check in.

I wanted to tell of a recent illness in my family as an example. My daughter is 37 and has always been very healthy. She is a type A with a very successful business that takes her across the country and keeps her very stressed. She came down with Viral Meningitis and was in the hospital for a few days and very ill. For weeks she caught numerous bugs and basically had chronic fatigue. Her mom had to help her shower weeks later.She now is a little better but has a bout of bronchitis to deal with.

The Dr's found it odd that at her age she would pick this up, actually many of us carry this and many other diseases. The Dr's finally and wisely asked about her lifestyle and she admitted she was very stressed and lacked sleep and probably good nutrition. He concluded that this stress was probably what allowed her immune system to fail.

I had always warned that she was a good candidate for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue as I see so many young gals on here acquire these syndromes. She said she had learned a lot while being so sick and would change her lifestyle, I hope she does as I said this was truly a warning for her to acknowledge. It is so easy to get involved with life that we don't heed the warning signs that our body constantly gives us. Many times we are just too busy to notice until it's too late.

In the end we can come to a better place if we don't allow ourselves to be bitter. We can build a strong body and avoid the many traps that can make us ill. Blessings
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. She's in my prayers as are you and all our member here. Your post is very touching. You hit the nail on the head when you talk about feeling victimized. It paralyzes us when we need to feel empowered.

I had viral meningitis in my 20's. The doc said it is fairly rare. I recovered eventually as I had recovered from many infections until the mycoplasma infection triggered my illnesses full blown and I've never been the same since. I've been blessed with a lot of healing and am grateful for that.

I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle in sales. Sales is a lucrative career but it is filled with stress. We worked hard and played hard and it made me sick. For that, I take responsibility. I also take responsibility for my healing. I do not believe we can just turn ourselves over to docs in order to heal. I am fortunate in that I've had docs who are willing to help me and to learn but I have done all the research myself.

It's good to see you posting again. Keep us updated on you and your daughter.

Love, Mikie
  10. DesertRain

DesertRain New Member

so good to hear that Dr. Leaf's book was helpful to you and, Wayne, thanks for helping me with the "search" for the book on this site. I'm really looking forward to digging in and hope to find some kind of healing from it.

I think of it as going back to the root of my illness b/c I think childhood abuse and traumas along w/ a sensitive nervous system set me up for all of this. I'm trying, with God's help, to patch up those injuries and get well!!

I hope and pray that for all who have survived abuse!