Who uses a cane and where did you get yours?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Jul 9, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I am thinking of getting one since I get off balance some days and sometimes just need to lean.

I would like a Lucite one but I didn't realize the prices had gone up so much. Did any of you order online, what about prices?
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

One is a regular cane and one is a seatcane. It's a cane that turns into a stool. I choose one or put both in the car depending on where I'm going. I cannot believe the difference in pain levels when I use a cane. I now always use one when I go out, it was a little awkward at first but now it's like second nature. Plus, people take me more seriously about being ill. :)

I'm now noticing more women with canes too. My canes are both titanium. I got them at medical supply stores but I've seen them on line for good prices too. Everyone loves my seatcane. The receptionist and my doctor both tried mine when they saw it and they both liked it too. My 80 year old dad uses one as well.

I am in so much less pain when I get home from errands and appt.s now that I always use them. I even sit on the seatcane in line at the grocery store. It works. :) They also help a lot with balance which makes me feel more confident.

I'm still in major pain after going out but I have very severe FMS, yet I still notice a huge difference.

You can just Google for "Cane" and for "Seatcane" to see the ones you can buy online.

tee

[This Message was Edited on 07/10/2008]
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I was so broke but I got a couple of dollar store versions.

It took a while to get used to it, it was an acceptance of my illness and I had troubles with it.

I am fine now and I love it. I use it for balance but it is amazing, I dont have to work so hard to stay upright or my nerves are calmer because I know I have the stick.

The next one I got was $14 something at Sams Club. It breaks down into sections and fits in a pouch. It is rather sturdy.

Would love a seat cane but I just use a buggy while shopping.

Marti
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I got mine online at e-bay and I know I save quite a bit of money there.

I have both a regular adjustable height cane and a folding cane that can fit in a large purse.

Hugs,

Nancy
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

which is not much use as a cane (fine with me as my arms are weaker than my legs) but is extremely light and converts very quickly to a compact little stool. You sit astride it with the handle in front.

My "purse" is a little backpack and I hang it from my pack so as not to have to carry it or repeatedly move my arms.

You can get them online from the manufacturer for about $30 which seems like a lot of money to me. I got mine a few years ago, at a store, for less than half that.

It makes some things doable that would be impossible but I really wish they made a Sport Cot :~)

Rafiki

6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

That is too funny - me, too!

I want a sport cot! There have been times I have looked at the floor lovingly, just a little rest.

Marti
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have been busy designing the sport cot! When not in use as a cot, it functions as a handy-dandy pair of aluminium skis!

Re: sitting astride, this allows you to lean forward placing some upper body weight on the handle which I appreciate.

Rafiki

ETA You can't sit on the sport seat in a way other than astride because they tip over if you do. I know this for a fact. :~)

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2008]
  8. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Jam--Like minds.... I got my antique wooden cane at a Goodwill store also. I love it as I often wear vintage clothes and it "goes" with them. My husband put a new rubber tip on it for me and I love it. It doesn't look as hospital-y somehow as a plain metal one. I use mine when I go out front onto the porch or whenever I'm helped out of my wheelchair--like transferring into the car or motor home.

People need to keep in mind, however, that a cane will never break a fall. That fact cannot be over-emphasized enough. Only a walker can do that. A cane is helpful, though, for batting at naughty teenagers, of which I have many!!

Missizzy
  9. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I inherited two wooden canes, one from my Grandmother, and one from my husband's Grandmother. I found a seatcane online for $29.95 sold by Travelon. I am very pleased with it, and use it quite often.

Yesterday, I was waiting for my husband to come pick me up after we had to park quite a ways from the building - I was just too weak to walk all the way back out to the car. There was no way I could have walked all that way, or stood to wait for him. I was So thankful for my seatcane, because I just sat right down and was able to stand the wait!

If I didn't have the seatcane, I feel like I would have collapsed!

God bless all,

Debbie
  10. CarolK

CarolK New Member

I also have two canes. One is the kind that breaks into sections for easy storage... which I leave in my car all the time just in case I need one. Somedays my balance is really bad and other days it's better.

My other cane I got at a medical supply house... you know the ones that carry diabetic shoes, wheelchairs, home health care stuff like walkers, elevated toliet sets etc.

They had some pretty ones to choose from... some where bright colors, some were wood, some were aluminum with flowers painted all over them.

I got one that is a pretty bronze color and is adjustable. It also came in a cranberry red, a purple, a green. The good news is that most of them were under $20! The fancy ones with the flowers were closer to $30.

I got my canes when the arthritus was getting so bad in both knees that I could hardly walk at all. I have since had a full knee replacement surgery done on both knees this past year...done 3 months apart. So for a while I was using a walker... then a cane... and now I use the cane mainly for balance.

One last thing... with the aluminum canes you can get an attachment that fits on the bottom of the cane for walking on ice and snow. I live in the state of Washington...I really needed to have the spike attachment on my cane this past winter... we had sooooooooo much snow! It helped tremendously for my balance!

CarolK
  11. I have thought of using a cane but so far haven't. But yesterday I had a hard time walking . When I go to the store its hard to walk without a cart soo may have to reconsider. I feel off balance without a cart walking?
  12. landra

landra New Member

especially if going somewhere new. But I just bought it at Walgreen's. Don't figure I need a fancy one - it's just a tool to me. I agree people take you more seriously if you have a cane.

Just for grins - I have a friend with vision limitations. When we go somewhere I drive. We want to find some of the old buildings around here and were laughing that no one would think we were going to steal anything if I had my walking cane and she had her white cane!
  13. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I think the acceptance part is what I"m really having trouble dealing with. I would probably do better with a cane, but I would be so embarrassed.
    Do they really help enough to go through all that for it? I've always been so independent...
  14. Auntiecyn2

Auntiecyn2 New Member

I use my cane for trips where I'll be walking quite a bit. I can manage the stores by using a shopping cart but for things like trips to the little zoo near here with my grandchildren I use my cane. I can walk slowly, with frequent rests, for a couple of hours with my cane. Without it I can't do as much and I suffer much more pain later. Get someone to show you how to use it for maximum effectivness. I hate to tell you how long it took me to figure out on which side I should carry it and which leg should I coordinate with the cane. I felt like such a dope when I finally got it. I don't use my cane all the time but I love knowing I have it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]