******WHO USES PROGESTONE CREAM, Need tips******

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeanne-in-Canada, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I jsut got some progesterone cream in my last Prohealth order. This brand is Source Naturals. It's my first time trying it.

A quarter tsp. contains 500 mgs progesterone. They say to take a quarter tsp. up to half a tsp., twice daily.

How do you take it, how often?

What have been your benefits?

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

You can use it anytime you can remember to take it. But, I would say it is BEST, to use before bed at it can make you sleepy. It should be rubbed into thin skin. Either rub between your wrists, or over your neck. If you're dealing with Fibrocystic breasts, you can even rub it directly onto your breasts.

My benefits have been PERFECTLY regulated periods, with NO pain, NO PMS, NO spotting, comes like clockwork. Same for my daughter, AND improved her SEVERE Fibrocystic breasts about 95% the very first month. She had a history of EXTREMELY Painful, HEAVY periods, requiring muscle relaxers, pain meds, missing school/work. Perfectly regulated and painfree now. Progesterone makes new bone growth possible by stimulating the osteoclasts. Hope you LOVE IT as much as we do.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

I've only been using it for half a week. The first dose did make me sleepy and mellow, that was at supper. So I tried a second dose before bed, and for some reason it wired me and I didn't sleep half the night.

It definitely contains powerful hormones, because every time I use it I feel kind of spacey. I probably need to take less. I'm down to a pea size amount, which is what another poster once said they used.

How much do you take, and how many times a day?

Jeanne
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

5. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Jeanne,
    There are two books by John R. Lee, MD:
    What your Doctor may not tell you about Premenopause/Menopause. I read the Premenopause
    book and it is excellent. He was one of the first
    doctors that started perscribing progesterone cream.
    The book discusses hormone imbalances, adrenal problems,
    different menstrual cycle problems,etc. There is a
    chapter dedicated to how to use the progesteron cream.
    I highly recommend it. Hope you find it useful.

I use the cream morning and night and have also found
    that it has helped my fibrocystic breasts and relaxes
    me more. I was feeling extremely anxious. In fact,
    in the first two months my muscle pain and fatigue were
    so much better, I thought I had found the magic cure!
    Unfortunately, a few months after that, the effects weren't
    as great. I am still taking it though.
    Take care, Theresa
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

it was a good choice for me , but I was MUCH more emotional , had heavier periods and was a real crybaby .
    I do have clinical depression, and have read that it can be a problem for some females with depression.

I heard an interview on tape w/ Dr Lee, and some other women were describing having the same experience as me
    with it . Most likely it will be good for you , and if not you will quickly sense it . Good luck !
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, all!

I am SO glad to read this thread!

I just started using progesterone cream a month ago.

Right away I knew it was good for me, because I felt all my muscles relax and felt pleasantly sleepy.

I made a BIG mistake. I took phytoestrogen pills for years without taking any progesterone to balance it out.

Then I got a thermogram and found out my breasts were too warm, because of too much estrogen compared to progesterone. I was headed down the road to getting breast cancer.

So now I put the progesterone cream on my breasts.

I know that I am very sensitive to hormones, so I use much less than a pea sized blob. I use a very tiny bit. I use it twice a day.

Jeanne, do you know how you react to hormones in general? It is always safest to start out with a very small amount and work your way up. It's also less of a shock to your body.

Here is my big question, that I hope you dear women can help me with:

The instructions in the progesterone cream package say that menstruating women should use it on days 12-26 of our cycles. But I feel horrible when I stop taking it. I can't sleep. I seem to really need it. What would happen if I used it every day????

A woman with CFS may be in a different situation than a healthy woman. So I'm just wondering.

The cream has also had the effect of making my periods more regular, shorter and lighter, and lessening my PMS. My breast pain and tenderness were greatly reduced. I had fewer cramps during my period, also. woo hoo!

You know, before I got CFIDS, I didn't get PMS. Just period cramps.

I take every other hormone I can get my hands on. Adding this one was like the missing puzzle piece.

Love,
    Forebearance
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

If you count the first day of flow as day 1, then you can start the cream on day 7 or on day 14, whichever school of thought you or your doc are from. I take mine days 7=28, roughly. You want to give you body a break from it, as you would naturally have lower levels, which trigger menstruation, each month. You want to try and follow your natural rhythm.

I love the stuff and think it is my favorite hormone, and I take a LOT. I take Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA, Pregnenalone, T3/T4, Cortisol.

Oh, also, the first month daughter and I used the cream, she lost 10 lbs, I lost 14. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. Sadly, I have found them again. Progesterone acts as a mild diuretic and probably explains the weight loss.
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

That's a really good point about being sensitive to hormones or not, and that dictating a smaller dose of cream. I do know I'm sensitive to hormones, most anything really. Most supps and meds I need a much smaller than recommended dose. I use glandulars too, in lieu of actual hormones, which I know I'd be too sensitive to, and they work great. But I'm best off on the hormone free kind. I've tried glandualrs that are lypholized, which means processed to leave the natural hormones intact, and I just fly on them. I can take just one lypholized adrenal cap per day, but had to work way up to that.

So that explains why I get so spacey on the progesterone, and had insomnia the night I took it before bed. I took too much, it was a quarter to half a tsp. and I was wired half the night and didn't sleep, had weird dreams when I finally did. I was still feeling funny w/ just he pea sized dose, so I'll go less now.

thanks for that those great tips.

Jeanne
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

on my left breast. that's the one w/ the big cystic lump that I've had for years. Will be interesting to see if it take the lump down. Nothing really has, but being careful to avoid estrogen promoting foods and supps has helped it to stop growing and being so painful.

What I'm really hoping I'll get out of th eprogesterone is to reduce the yeast infection problem. My number one worst time that I'm going to get a yeast infection every damn mth, is right at ovulation. Really kills the fertility aspect too. So I know the yeast problem must be totatlly hormone driven.

Jeanne
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Good luck, Jeanne! I hope your cyst gets smaller.

I take regular hormones, but very small amounts of them. I love my Xacto knife for chopping up pills!

Thank you, Elliespad, for writing back about my question. I understand the natural cycles thing. But I need a better reason to stop taking progesterone part of the month. Like my arm is going to fall off or something.

I guess I will have to read your book recommendations, Theresa, and see if I can find out more detail about it.

It's weird the way all the offical information about progesterone is so vague. Do doctors really even understand what it does???

Forebearance
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'd say listen to your body. If its giving you really strong cues that the progesterone is helping, why tamper w/ that. You are using natural progesterone products from plant sources right? Using cream allows your body to absorb what it needs.

If you are needing "every hormone you can get your hands on" as you so inclusively put it, I'd say you have pretty ailing adrenals though. The adrenals are chiefly responsible for your sex hormones, and if you need to supplememnt w/ all those hormones, then your adrenals aren't cutting it.

I'd suggest you use adrenal supplements to heal your adrenals so they can eventually do the work, aka hormonal production on their own. Since tolerate small amounts of hormone, then lypholized glands will be best for you, as they are carefully processed to leave the natural hormones intact.

A few rules of thumb for getting glandulars w/ hormones is they will be encapsulated, or in liquid form, possibly freeze dried or frozen (but outrageously expensive that way, and i doubt there is extra benefit). If you find them as a tablet, chances are it is a non-hormone kind, and will support gland function and help heal, but may not be strong enough. I think its important people realize the differences in glandulars, and that they come in hormone an d hormone-free types, because some have tried them and claim they don't work at all, but the various kinds will be needed by different people.

I personally do best w/ hormone free. And people w/ extremeley weak glands probably will too, as the glands can be jsut too weak to even process the hormone if its suddenly delivered, esp. in too high an amount too soon. Dr. Wilson's, Adrenal Rebuilder, seems to be the best one for me . It contains 5 synergistic glands, adrenal, hypothalamus, pituitary, thyroid and gonad. I storngly believe that no gland malfunctions alone, and multiglandulars are best. I've tried just taking adrenal gland before, and wrongly assumed it didn't work or I didn't need it. It's made a huge difference in various combo products since, and treated depression, helped sexdrive, brought my body temp up to normal, increased energy, and kept my mood more stable than its been in decades.

Jeanne
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you for your moral support about trusting my body, Jeanne! Yes, I'm using natural plant source progesterone cream from the health food store.

And thanks for your concern about my adrenal gland.

I already take Cortef and DHEA, which are adrenal hormones. I'm following Dr. Teitelbaum's philosophy of treating every deficiency at once for a synergystic effect. It has been good for me. It sounds like you are doing a similar thing with the multiglandulars.

I didn't know that there are different kinds of glandulars.

Probably the only brand of glandulars I trust are the Standard Process ones, because I know they raise their own cows. There is no law to prevent any US company from using English cow parts in their products. That's the one area where mad cow disease could sneak into the US, so I'm a bit cautious about it.

I find that if I take too many adrenal hormones, it changes my personality. I get mean and uninhibited, which is a bad combination! lol Not to mention the acne. As I've gotten better, I've needed less of them. So I have to be really careful about doses.

It's amazing how powerful hormones are, isn't it?

Maybe by next month I will be replenished enough in progesterone that I won't need to take it every day. I will have to see what happens. Maybe my great need for it right now is a reflection of how low in it I was.

Thank you, Annxyz, for your addition to this thread. I was wondering what the sign of too much progesterone was. Just today I noticed that I felt a bit of unusual mental symptoms. I was feeling hopeless in a way that is unusual for me.

So I am guessing that I need to cut back on the progesterone. I didn't take my evening dose and I feel normal again.

It's such trial and error to get the dosage right! Of all hormones! I always like to know what the signs of underdose and overdose are, so I can watch out for them. I can go from too little to too much in a day.

I really should have read up on progestone before starting to take it, as I usually do with everything I take. I was just in such a rush because of my breast issue. I'll go do my homework now.

Happy hormones to everybody in this thread!

Love,
    Forebearance

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

My fiance sure is thinking so. I only started the cream less than a week ago. Dosing has been tricky, I can only take less than a pea size dab, a microdose to what is called for, or I get real spacey. But the results seem pretty remarkable so far.

We've actually gotten, ahem, freaky 3 whole times this week. That's amazing, considering we probably haven't gotten busy even 3 times a mth for some time now.

The other thing, and I hope even more than the sex part that this is a keeper, is that I'm near ovulation and haven't had a yeast infection yet. I haven't not had a yeast infection at ovulation in over 7 yrs. Which is why I tried the progesterone in the first place. Testing showed it was very low compared to estrogen, and the yeast seemed to be very hormonally driven. Ovulation is when progesterone starts to fall, and this seems to be triggering my worst yeast susceptibility time. After all the antifungals I've tried, unsuccessfully this year, they actually seem to make it worse, could the solution really be this easy? Cross your fingers w/ me.

Jean ne
  17. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow, I'm so happy for you!

I think sex drive is one of the indicators of overall health, so it's a good sign to be back to normal in that respect. At least, it can't hurt!

That's great news about your lack of yeast infection, too!

Ugh, I can't imagine going through all the yeast infections you have had in the last 7 years. And right at the time when you're supposed to be in 'heat' and enjoying sex the most.

I've heard of the syringe method of measuring small doses, too, dancin' fingers. I know people do that with testosterone cream, in order to be accurate.

I'm just using the smallest dab I can get out of the tube. It's like 1/100 of a pea-sized amount.

Forebearance
  18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm up to around 1/10th of a pea-sized dab of progesterone cream.

Forebearance
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

anyway. The yeast infection delayed a bit, but I guess i earned it, we had half a layer cake w/ icing, a cherry pie and I've been eating real cheddar cheezies too much too. Now the yeast is super resistant again adn I'm gettng bad back pain from it. I'm not getting cramps anymore though, and I usually get what feels like period cramps w/ the yeast. It's my big tip off that its set in. I'm less than a week from my period too and not feeling any PMS yet, except for mild breast tenderness, I usually get that bad too.

So I'm up to a pea sized drop, but I stopped taking it near bed. it doesn't make me sleepy and I'm getting insomnia lately, but it could be other things too. I'm going to have to do process of elimination to figure out why the insomnia, but I'm very prone to it in the summer. I could just be due.

So, when I get my period I guess I'll know what it does for PMS and cramps, and will let you know. The sex drive flew over the cuckoos nest w/ the raging yeast. But I know, "this too shall pass". Lets hope it comes back.

Jeanne
  20. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm sorry to hear about your yeast infection.

Your insomnia makes me wonder about your estrogen level. Have you had any night sweats?

I tried stopping my phytoestrogens completely at the same time I started taking the progesterone. But I couldn't hack it.

I need some small amount of estrogen supplement in order to be able to sleep.

I hope you can figure out more about what might be causing your persistant yeast infections.

Forebearance