Who was raised around agriculture?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

My mom was raised on a farm in Cornville Arizona where they sprayed everything down with DDT every Friday. She raised me in Ventura County Ca which has been found to have a significantly higher rate of Cancer (suspectedly due to the strong agricultural element).

I went to Northern Cal boarding school which was in the middle of mass agriculture. How weird is it that 5 of my friends from that school have had twin pregnancies!! (myself included.) And on top of that several have had syndromatic children, and cancer in themselves and their children.

I'm only 32!

What are your experiences?

Sofia
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Lived, LITERALLY, 4 feet from a pesticide company. Please read my BIO.
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I love your username. Very upbeat! (( ))

Personally, it was my arsenic-saturated water supply that poisoned me... But my mother grew up in california about the time that you were there. Scary thought: contaminates and poisons that accumulate in a mother's body are detoxed via her breastmilk, to be fed to her delicate developing child. There have been studies finding - serriously - rocket fuel in the breastmilk of mothers who were exposed.

Please though, anyone reading this, don't freak out. Breast milk is still FAR superior to infant formula in its safety and nutritional value. You may wish to do a detox program though if this is of concern to you personally.

I look forward to reading more replies to this post. I remember reading in past posts that many of our members are affected by this. Also, if any of you lived near golf courses or worked in plant nurseries, you have been exposed to a lot of chemical fertilizers and herbicides, pesticides.

On a sad note, I watched a documentary on the industrialization of China recently. They do not have the safety regulations on agricultural chemicals and industrial polutants that we have here (and we all know how inadequate our own are). In their fields, which are largely worked by hand, the pollution level is many many times higher than what is allowed here. My heart goes out to them and their families.

It deeply saddens me that our agriculture is conducted in the way that it is. The crops in China are even watered with contaminated industrial waste water because clean water is often just not available. Heck, in our own fields, it is legal to fertilize with human waste and propmt speedy growth by spraying with MSG, a known toxin.

(((our ailing Earth and it's members)) :( Shannon
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

If you've also had Arsenic exposure, I'm sure you've read MSDS sheets? I believe all/most CFIDS/FIBRO have had SIGNIFICANT chemical exposure, they're just not all aware of it. Here is a link to emedicine link for arsenic:
    http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic42.htm
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

bumping for more response
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I also grew up on a farm. I remember they were all pretty careless in those days about the spraying and all.

Sue in Ontario
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

These are also linked to FMS.

There are also studies to indicate a gene involved in FMS.

Could the genetic predisposition cause us to react to the chems around us differently or the chems alter the genetics handed to us causing us to have FMS????

Still hoping for more response.

thank you,

sofia
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm only recently diagnosed and want to understand this better. Please bear with me.

Sofi