Who was the gal talking about moms surgery????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I just read the other day a bout a gal whos mom was in the nursing home and her mom stays bedridden all the time. I can't find the post. Her mom needs surgery.

My mom was taken last night too by ambulance and broke her hip and cut her head open. She is bedridden and only in her 60s. I need to find that post.
    Thanks,
    Rene
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

It was me. Click on my bio and look for the post. My mom has been in the bed for nealy a year. At first she was made to do PT but she just refused and threw hissy fits so they didn't make her do it. I know she will never even try to get out of bed, she knows whats she is doing.

I am sorry to hear about your mom. How long has your mom been in bed and why? Are you her caretaker? Broken hips are the hardest thing for the weaker ones.

My best friends mother in law was 80 when she broke her hip, she was a diabetic and basically bedridden. They did the surgery and she never cam home, she passed 4-6 months later.

I will check for your post later, my dogs know it is walk time and nearly knocked my laptop off of my lap lol. Hang in there, you need to take care of yourself first or you won't be able to be there for your mom. Carla
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi Carla, we are almost alike unfortunaltly, with our moms. I have CFS and I am mostly home confined at least 23 hours a day and live alone. I wish I could take care of her but I can't take care of me but I do all I can for her.

She is all I have and she has a 24 hr caregiver. She has been bedridded for about 2 yrs. She won't leave the bed except for the potty chiar and dr appts.

I am going to go to the hospital pretty soon but I'm doing really bad.

I don't know, either, what to do as she is bedridden anyway. But last friday the dr said she would send PT but my mom isn't alway compliant either nor was she the best mom. That was before the fall.

WHAT IS weird was I read YOUR message and thought about how to repond but I couldn't help as I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. NOW I'M in YOUR Situation!!!!!!!!!!

At midnight the dr said its considered a hip fracture even though she broke the femer?? that goes into the hip that is considered a hip fracture.

Anyways let me know too what goes on. I'm gonna see if I can get a volunteer to wheel me to her as I am so weak.
    Thanks
    Rene

PS My mom has ostioprosis bad and when from 140 down to 95 pds and depression.
    Thanks
    Rene[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

Since you don't have anything in your bio, I went and read some of your posts.

I am so sorry you are going thru this. Having the volunter giving a chair ride is a good idea. When my mom had open heart surgery 3 years ago, I had a freind take me in a wheel chair because my back was out. They will find a way to get you there.

What happend to your mom with the caregiver was horrible. I have heard of such things happening and will never understand it. There are some real sick puppies in this world. I hope he gets what he deserves so no one else will be his victim.

Is your social phobia the reason you stay in? Do you have FM, CFS? Your mom is young, like mine, to be bedridden. My mother had lived alone since 1992. In the fall of 2001 she got a virus or something and my half sister found her near death laying in the bathroom floor.

She came home after about aweek or so, then got pnemonia and went back for another week. Came home again and fell a few days later then the pnemonia got worse. That is when her Dr said that she can't live alone anymore.

I had lived in Richmond, VA for 17 years and just walked away from all of it to take care of her. It was the worst time of my life, I almost would have went thru cancer again as to do what I did.

She didn't make make it easy on me and she knew I was sick and didn't care. I thought I had dealt with all of my emotions and had forgivven her for her abuse towards me until I was 18. But having to live with her and see the way she treated me brought it all right back.

The stress of all her Dr appts, hospital stays and me trying to work finally took it's toll. I did not have anyone to help me. She didn't qualify for a nursing home or any home care assistance. She had just enough money to hurt her, plus the NH would have taken her house. That is way I came back.

After I got my disabilty the law states that they cannot take the home of ANY disabled child. Since I had sold my home in VA, her house was mine and the state could not take it when she went to the nursing home 2 years later.

Sorry to ramble on, I wish you all the best with your mom and the Dr's do what is ever right for her situation. You will be in my thoughts.

Mine is a waiting game until the 31st, that is her appt with the surgeon. The one good thing about Dr appts and nursing homes is she is always taken by ambulance and I just go along for the ride,hehe.

Keep me updated-Carla

5. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi Carla, that is good you have til the end of the month. Sorry you had to go through cancer and I know what you mean as I had a fast growning 18 cm mass on my ovary last Jan and ovarian cancer was suspected. That was a piece of cake!

The trial for what that creap did is Aug 2. I had to call the DA and argue that we need to cancel if you can believe that.

The only social phopia I have is public speaking. I loved to go to parties but to have to talk in an audiance where everyone is looking at me is petrifing. I'm actually looking forward to going to the hospital (just the part where the nurses will be nice to me and maybe my mom may have a roommate). But my mom is in pain and that hurts ME.

I have CFS so that is why I am mostly couch ridden. I'm getting ready to go see my mom- I'm in Northern Ca and so its early.
    Yes Keep in touch!
    RENE
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm glad you enjoy the nurses but I totally understand about seeing your mom. Make the best of your outing, enjoy other people and don't let her get to you.

Listen to the Drs and get second opinions if you don't like what they are telling you. Does she understand what is going on? It is so hard to make these decisions without any support from family or friends.

Does she have a good caregiver now that you can talk to, sometimes a social worker can help you work things out.

Don't stress, just remember to breath once in awhile,lol
    Carla