Who works, who is too sick? How many hours?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Britt2, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

I am currently on a sick leave, have been unable to return to my high stress/long hours position for over 6 months.....

I am wondering how many of us are able to work/how many are unable?
    How many hours/day can you work? or
    How long have you been unable to work at all?

Would love to hear some other stories...
    Thanks!!
    Erika

2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

When I first got CFS it was brought on by some sort of virus (been told mono/epstein barr) and then developed into CFS. SOOO when I first got ill and had the virus I was on sick leave for 8 months. Then I started working part time from home at my same job. I thought I would gradually work up to going back in to the office but that didn't happen.

They have allowed me to work from home for the past 4 years. I have worked my way up to 35 hours a week although they usually dont send me enough work for that many hours. I think I would be capable of doing those hours from home but can't be sure since they don't send me nearly that much work.

There have been times where I thought maybe I could handle going in to the office at least part time but I believe that was wishful thinking on my part...as soon as I would have a long day of doing something and crash or just a bad day in general with being sick it would snap me back into reality. Those days reminded me that there was no way I could handle going back to work in the office at all.

I think a lot of that too is that my commute to the office is an hour and I KNOW I couldn't handle that drive. Since I have gotten CFS I don't travel well. An hour car ride most of the time flares up my symptoms and that is when I am just a passenger. So I know I couldn't handle driving myself into the office.

It is possible that MAYBE I could have handled working part time (20 hours per week) in an office if it were down the street from my house but I am not sure of that either.

At the moment I am in a flare up and have been much worse these last two months than I have been in years so I definitely couldn't work even part time in an office now no matter where it was. Right now I can barely handle getting my work done from home.

Sooo that is my work situation.
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

working since 2000-
    really miss it alot-
    got on diability but its not a huge check..:) but i am grateful.
    have yard sales most every sat to help with getting more income..
    . which is hard also
    and i wind up paying in pain for that for a few days... sigh..
  4. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

I'm a student.. which kinda counts as a job.

I used to (physically) go to school but then I got too sick and spent nearly 2 years in bed. I'm 18 and in the 10th grade because of it. I now do my schooling online and although much easier than having to go to school and lug a backpack around, it's kicking my butt. I'm thinking about trying for my GED and focusing on my health for a while..

Best of luck to you!
  5. monamea

monamea New Member

Dear Britt2,

I don't work outside of the home since getting all this stuff (fibro, sleep apnea, narcolypse, and cfs etc.) I can't stay awake that long. I live on a dairy farm and have quit milking cows, etc. I have so much stress in my life and no help in anything that I do what I can each day. I consider it a good day if I can get the house clean and get supper on. I've tried to get ssdi but they won't let me have it because I don't have enough quarters paid and they say I have to many assests (alot they know!!!). The Dr's I have advised me to just do what I can, I'm not suppose to lift anything over 20lbs, because I get hernia's to easily. I find that from 3:30a.m. to 10:30a.m. are my times to get stuff done. My husband doesn't understand why I don't do all the stuff around the farm like I use to, some day I hope he does!
  6. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I actually go to school. Currently taking 13 credit hours which is basically 9-2 most days with the occasional 9-5. I'm also caring for my 16 month old daughter from 6 till bedtime while her daddy works. After bedtime it's homework and chores. Make dinner for daddy if I didn't make a family dinner. Maybe go to sleep maybe just stay awake until have to get the baby up at 8. That's going to be my life for the next couple years. :) Hopefully I'll tough it out.
  7. maedaze

maedaze New Member

I havn't been able to work for the last 5 yrs. Every year I think I will be able to manage to go back to work part time.. But that hasn't happened yet.

Maybe next year????????
  8. ultimategirl63

ultimategirl63 New Member

Hi Erika,

I am lucky enough to say that I own my own business, just a little Hair salon/spa attached to my house, I have had to cut done on my hours thou (5 hours a day) down from 8-12 hours when I was healthy, and on bad days I just put up the closed sign, which I hate doing..Thank-God all my clients are understanding of my condition..

Hope This Helps

(((HUGS)))

Carolyn
  9. wiprwill

wiprwill New Member

I work 36 hours a week 3 12 hour days, Tuesday Wednesday, and Thursday. I Love my job, but I have a hard time most days getting out of bed, and driving 90 mins. to work
    Oh well have to kept the pay check coming
  10. Kazah

Kazah New Member

I do go to work. avarage of 37 hours per week but it's often very tough. I have a very understanding team and I'm lucky that they understand and let me have breaks to lie down or have time off when I need it.

When i first told them i explained hiw it works in terms of a battery that wears down and i need recharging. Alot of my co workers also have health problems so sometimes it feels like we have to take it in turns to be off sick!

I'm off this week due to bone ache as i like to call it but hope to go back next week. I often go in even when i'm not well and delegate tasks i can't do, swap them for maybe a sit down job instead. I'm lucky that my job is very varied and there's times when it's mental busy and others when it's really quite so i can recharge in between.

I think if you can find the right job and have an understanding team you can keep working but i do recognise that i am exremely lucky to be able to take time when i need it.

When I'm ill i worry that this is the time it isn't gonna get manageable again and what if i can't go back? i would hate to have to give up work and i'm gonna fight really hard to keep going.

hope you feel better soon xxx
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

part time my hours vary. It can be a five hour day or a 12 hour day.

I do medical transcription at a clinic and I am trying to find another part time job for a couple of days but can't seem to find one...sigh

My weekly hours vary as well anywhere from 15 hours to 32 hours that is why I need another part time job...LOL

I can not afford to give up this one at the moment because I get prescriptions at one dollar above cost which really helps me out because I haven't any insurance.

Most days I literally drag myself to work but I usually feel a little better as the day goes on...with a little luck.

Try to rest when not working or when not on here or doing house work or running errands or doing the laundry or grocery shopping or visiting my mother or studying or... ;)

Thanks,

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  12. suz45

suz45 New Member

I left my position as a therapist in a school distrcit due to our family relocating to western NY. I decided and luckily can afford to not return to work, at least not for now. I worked until the end of May of this year 37.5 hours a week.

This is the first time in several years I am at home with the girls.

I will be returning to school part time beginning in January to begin my doctorate in health psychology. I am mostly nervous about the demands of school lots of reading and research, but also want to make sure that the girls continue to do well in their new home and school. So far so good, they seem to have made friends, we have a really good and nice school system and they are thriving.

I really don't want to work, need a break from counseling adolescents at this point.

Suz45
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

For two years I was working as a professor, tenure track. I usually drove in four days a week (which is standard), but often I had classes bunched up (like one until 9 at evening and one in the morning). That was very stressful.

Having to "perform" in class was stressful. Writing (I got very little done) was stressful. My teaching evaluations varied, in large part because I was often so tired.

The part I had no problem doing was being the director of a new program.....that required just coming up with marketing ideas, talking to applicants, managing staff members, etc. Obviously that wasn't what I had envisioned when i got my Ph.D.

The commute (sometimes as little as 1/2 an hour but sometimes substantially more than an hour each way) really did me in. If it hadn't been for that, I think I would have survived for a longer time.

My weight went down to 100 pounds (I'm 5'3"), which is a lot lower than it should be. For whatever reason,, I just couldn't eat. I tried to give myself rest time, but it was hard.

At the time I knew I had CFS, but other people underestimated it and I did too. Strange how I managed to do that for so long. After I propped my health up to about 60%, I felt like that should be enough to let me take any job (as long as it wasn't a high-stress consulting-firm one).

Finally I got worn out and frustrated. I felt like I didn't want to be there forever, and if that was the case then I shouldn't be there at all.

Fortunately, I can make some money on my own from consulting, and my husband does well. I work on his business with him and manage general affairs (including a number of real estate properties we own). I end up doing a lot of stuff for my family....they understand that I'm sick, but eventually I take care of them anyway. (Too much responsibility.) I try to do writing when my head is clear.

Mostly, my husband and I try to enjoy life. We're lucky not to have to work terribly hard in general, and to have control over our lives. If I were well, I'd be working my butt off in some meaningless job (either writing paperss no one would read in academia or flying around the country trying to make CEO's happy as a partner at a consulting company). Both sound horrid, now. Life quality has become more important.

Not having kids was the right decision for us, by the way.

Anyway......I am certain that if I had a "regular"-type office job that was 40 hours a week and didn't require a commute, I would do fine. There aren't a lot of jobs like that around now, though. At least, not ones where you can make very much money.

I've worked my way up to being more well than a lot of CFS patients, or than I would be if I hadn't tried so hard to get better, though. If I had never chipped away at the things that were wrong with me and addressed them, I never would have gotten beyond 30% and thus couldn't have held even that sort of job. Right now I'm at about 60%, I think.

Oh, btw, I have classic CFS, not fibro.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I am working, but only part-time. So far this job has worked out well for me. I am a secretary at a small private college. I work in one of the academic buildings and most of the professors I work for are really nice. It's a pretty layed-back job. Most of the time it's not a lot of stress or pressure. It is busy at the beginning of the semester (the first two weeks). If my job was like that all the time, I couldn't do it.

I work half-days (mornings), which works out well for me. I was able to choose my own hours. I knew they wanted me here some every day. I am off for three months during the summer, which is good for me physically but not financially. Thankfully, my husband works longer hours during the summer so that makes up for me not working. Because I work for a school, I am unable to get unemployment.

I do have days when it is hard to get out of bed and get to work, but most times I can do it. I have good benefits, salary, vacation and sick time. I consider myself very fortunate.

Ellen
  15. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Oops-I forgot to tell you how many hours I work-it's 23. Five hours on Mondays and 4 1/2 hours the rest of the week.

Ellen
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

About 2 years ago when I started getting sick, I was going to resign from my job and they offered to set me up remotely from home. (I am their finance manager). Did take a pay cut, however.

I feel so blessed for this opportunity because I don't think I could go out to an office. The insomnia, pain, etc,it usually takes me until noon just to feel close to normal.

They send me a courier once a week and I am remotely connected to the office through the internet and still have an extension there, I just pick up my messages. I then send the completed stuff back for filing.

I probably work about 20 hours per week.

Sue in Ontario
  17. charlenef

charlenef New Member

that i havent worked. the year before i cut my hour and had my hubby helping me. i ran a day care in my home i loved it i went from seeing tons of people everyday to my family only .it is very lonely durring the day when everyone is at school and work. that is where my online family steps in. charlene
  18. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I take off when I just cannot drag myself into work.

I sometimes even work a few overtime hours per week.

I wish I could work a more flexible schedule, according to the hours that my body likes to sleep and get up, etc. But I work from 7:30am to 3:30pm. I need the paycheck and benefits.

I also have a long commute (30 minutes if no freeway backups or inclement weather, etc. but more in the winter weather).

Before I had to go work full-time, I was really active on internet support groups/boards also, and had my own webpage. I wish I had the time and money to get myself together, where my time could be my own, as the members who are receiving social security (or who have spouses who make enough to carry the family while they wait).
  19. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My FMLA is up next month and I have to return. I'm functioning about 35% now, so it will be a real challenge. I'm hoping to work half days and ease into full time.

This is my third relapse of CFS in six years. I've been able to work up to full time between relapses and functioning about 90% or better. These relapses really stink. I wish I knew how to avoid them.

CherylSue
  20. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

Thank you everyone who responded to this....its so great to hear everyone's stories....I am so inspired by them.
    Well wishes for all.

Please add to this post, I'll try and keep it going :)