Whole Body Swelling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 18, 2003.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Has anyone had any problems with the entire body swelling?

My face, hands, stomach, and especially my legs and feet have been swelling (retaining water) like crazy.

This has been going on for about 4-6 weeks.

The only thing different that I have done or taken is I started on Neurotin about that many weeks ago. I saw my doctor yesterday and she said she did not think it was the Neurotin. She gave me a script for Lasix and Potassium for a week to help rid me of the extra water.

2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Are you by any chance allergic to corn?
    I posted the inactive ingredients to Neurotonin
    awhile ago. I will try to get it now and post it
    for you. What I remember on my own is that it
    contains corn, maize and lactose. Have you tried stopping the Neurontin? Here is the information:

The following information is the translation of the manufacturer's insert. It is provided under the supplying company's terms and conditions and should not replace the advice of your personal physician.

NEURONTIN

What is in the pack?

The name of the medicine is Neurontin. Neurontin is available as either capsules or tablets as follows:

Capsules:
    Neurontin capsules also contain inactive ingredients: lactose, maize, corn, talc, gelatin, water and sodium lauryl sulphate.
    The 100 mg capsules contains the colouring E171 (titanium dioxide), the 300mg and 400mg capsules contain the colourings E171 (titanium dioxide), and E172 (Iron Oxide). The printing ink contains Shellac, E171 and E132 (Indigo Carmine).

Tablets:
    Neurontin tablets also contain the inactive ingredients: ethylene and propylene oxide, copolyvidone, corn starch, magnesium stearate, talc, hydroxyprpyl cellulose and candelilla wax. The printing ink of the 600mg tablets contains n-butyl alcohol, black iron oxide (E172), glaze, and shellac in n-butyl alcohol, propylene glycol, ammonium hydroxide and isopropyl alcohol. The printing ink of the 800mg tablets contains yellow and red iron oxide (E172), propylene glycol, methanol, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, isopropyl alcohol and water.

What is Neurontin?

Neurontin belongs to a group of medicines used to treat epilepsy. It may also be used to treat neuropathic pain, (pain caused by damage to the nerves).

What is Neurontin used for?

Epilepsy: Neurontin is used to treat various forms of epilepsy. Your doctor will prescribe Neurontin for you to help treat your epilepsy when your current treatment is not fully controlling your condition or where your current treatment is causing problems such as side effects. You should take Neurontin in addition to your current treatment unless told otherwise.
    Neuropathic pain: Neurontin is used to treat chronic (long lasting) pain caused by damage to the nerves. A variety of different diseases can cause neuropathic pain, such as diabetes, shingles, trauma (injury or wound to the body) and diseases of the nervous system. Pain sensations may be described as hot, burning, throbbing, shooting, stabbing, sharp, cramping, aching, tingling, pins and needles etc.

Before taking Neurontin?
    If you answer yes to any of the following questions do not take the medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist at once.

* Are you pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast-feeding?
    * Have you ever had a reaction to neurontin or any of its ingredients?
    * Do you have a history of psychosis (hallucinations/abnormal thinking)?
    * Are you taking any other medicines apart from your current epilepsy or Neurontin pain treatment?
    * Do you suffer from kidney problems?

Can you take Neurontin with other medicines?

Neurontin is not expected to interact with other ant epileptic drugs or the oral contraceptive pill. However, you should tell your pharmacist that you are taking Neurontin when you buy medicines at the chemist. If you require an operation or visit your dentist or doctor let them know that you are taking Neurontin. If Neurontin and antacids containing aluminium and magnesium are taken at the same time, absorption of Neurontin from the stomach may be reduced. It is recommended that Neurontin be taken about two hours following any such antacid administration.

While you are taking Neurontin?

Neurontin may produce dizziness, drowsiness and tiredness. If affected you should not drive or operate machinery because this could be dangerous to you and others.

How to take Neurontin?

Follow your doctor’s instructions exactly and never change the dose yourself. Your doctor will have decided what dose of Neurontin is right for you.
    Epilepsy: Adults and children over 12 years: The usual dose is 900 to 2400mg each day in 3 divided doses i.e. in the morning, at midday and in the evening. Elderly: Elderly patients may have to have their Neurontin dosage adjusted by their doctor.
    Children 6-12 years of age: The dose to be given to your child will be decided by your doctor as it is calculated against your child’s weight. It is usually given in 3 divided doses, by taking capsule(s) or tablet(s) each day, usually one in the morning, one at mid-day and one in the evening. Neuropthic Pain: Adults (over 18 years of age): Your doctor will usually build up your dose gradually by starting you on 300mg Neurontin on the first day, followed by 600mg on the second day and 900mg on the third day. Thereafter, the dose may be increased to 1800mg each day given in 3 divided doses, i.e. in morning, at midday and in the evening. Always swallow the capsules or tablets with plenty of water. You may take the capsules or tablets with or without food but not at the same time as any antacid you may be taking for indigestion or heartburn. If you forget to take a dose, take it soon as you remember unless it is time for your next dose. Do not take 2 doses at the same time. If you accidentally take too many capsules or tablets, tell your doctor at once. If you cannot do this go to the nearest hospital casualty department. Take along any capsules or tablets that are left, the container and the label so that the hospital can easily tell what medicine you have taken. Do not stop taking Neurontin unless your doctor tells you to, at which time it should normally be done gradually.

Side effects:

As with all medicines Neurontin can sometimes cause side effects in some people. The most frequent are: drowsiness, weakness and tiredness. Less frequent are: unusual eye movement, double or blurred vision, stammering, tremor, memory loss, pins and needles or numbness, joint pain, bruising, indigestion, anxiety, weight gain, sore throat, urine infections. Serious side effects with Neurontin have been rare. The following rare side effects have also been associated with other anti-epileptic drugs and a definite link to Neurontin has not been established: pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas leading to stomach pain), increase in liver function blood test, severe skin rash with associated general illness, depression, changes in mood and behaviour, hallucinations /abnormal thoughts. Blood sugar changes in people with diabetes, nasal irritation, nervousness, muscle pain, headache, nausea or vomiting have also been noted.

Children:

The following side effects have been the most frequently observed in children: mood or behaviour changes, and agitation or apprehension. The following side effects have also occasionally have been observed in children, some of which are often seen in childhood viral illness: sleeplessness, tiredness, weight gain, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fever, viral infection, chest and/or throat infection. Do not be alarmed by this list – most people take Neurontin without any problems. If you thin Neurontin causes any of these or other problems talk to your doctor or pharmacist straight away and continue to take your medicine.

How to store Neurontin:

* Do not use the medicine after that last day of the month shown on the expiry date. This is printed on the outside of the pack.
    * Remember, as with all medicines, keep Neurontin well away from children.
    * Do not store Neurontin Capsules above 30 degrees C and Neurontin tablets above 25 degrees C and keep them in the packaging they come in.

Remember:

This medicine is only for you. Only your doctor can prescribe Neurontin for you. Never give it to anyone else. It may harm them even if their symptoms are the same as yours.

APPROVED USES * HOME

3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I've popped my sipper on my pants so I never wear tight clothes any more. My rings won't come off some days and it hurts. I've had FMS symtoms since a child.

Going through some more tests to check out gastric things. They say bloating is symtom of something. Guess I'll see if they figure it out.

Gary also swells up.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  5. ~Cel~

~Cel~ New Member

I just ran a search on google about water retention cause I've been swelling up too lately, more so when the weather is hot and damp. A lot of natural remedies websites suggest dandelion leaf tea because it is also a source of potassium and they say it is very similar to Lasix. Regular diuretics usually rid your body of the much-needed potassium, but dandelion doesn't.

I planned on asking my docs for water pills when I see them in September, but was looking for something I could use in the meantime. Has anyone tried the dandelion?

Celine
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

the Lasix is helping some, but not much.

No, I'm not allergic to corn.

I haven't tried dandelion leaf tea, but I will look for it. I live in a small community and hope I can find it. How is the taste?

Any other suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks.
  7. healing

healing New Member

This happened to me when I upped my dosage of Vioxx, which I had been taking without incidence for several years. If you are interested in the truly weird diet my DO put me on (which worked!) to resolve the issue, check back on my posts. Do a search for watermelon