whole body vibration training

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

I've been looking into buying one of the new whole body vibration trainers eg Power plate etc.

There are cheaper ones on the market now, but I've been doing my research and it seems that they are quite controversial.

Ie - do they actually work at all, or do they cause damage.

Some people swear by them.

Just curious if anyone here has had experience with them - I cant do any otheer form of exercise and I thought this might be a good start.

Thanks
    Michelle
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

interesting subject;

I've read it can help even with osteoporosis...

3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I've been doing more research, it seems that was is important is the freqency Hz, or revolutions per second.

Research shows that it needs to be somewhere between 20 - 50 Hz.

Alot of the cheaper machines are 0 - 18 Hz and therefore do not offer the same benefits.

Still keen to hear from anyone who has experience with these, I currently have a bid on one and the auction closes tonight. It will probably cost me about $450 all up to buy it and get it shipped to me from Australia to NZ.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I was thinking of getting one but I read that the

vibrations can knock your back out of whack and cause

brain damage. I guess the vibration can be so strong it

can cause these things. I decided against it
  5. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

but I do know with FMS (at least me) motion, any motion causes me problems. I can ride in a car and when I get out I feel like someone has shaken me violently. My muscles ache and bumpy roads and more than a few minutes is simply intolerable. I find elevators, escalators, airplanes, boats, cars all cause me additional pain. Anything that vibrates my body or shakes me, like going up or down stairs (when I am able to do so) will give me pain. Any misstep will jar me and I have a reaction to it. Am I the only one who vibration or motion would make worse?
  6. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

yes the cheaper ones can do you damage - thats if they vibrate from side to side, like a see saw motion as well as up and down, the better ones dont go side to side.

I've bought mine and its arriving this week. I'll let you know how I get on.

Still keen to hear from anyone else who has tried them.

Cheers
    Michelle
  7. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I just read an article about these on Dr. Mercola's site, and am curious how people with CFS or Fibro are affected. Here's the link to the article. You may have to "join" the website to read it. I'm not sure.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/01/whole-body-vibration-does-your-bones-and-muscles-good.aspx?source=nl