whole house and shower filters???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mollystwin, May 6, 2006.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have been reading that chlorinated water can be harmful to those with candida because the chlorine can kill the probiotics used to kell the candida. I use filtered water for drinking, but not for my icecubes. This website, which does not sell any of these products, suggested even using chlorine free water for ice cubes. The filters I use are brita filters which I know "reduce" chlorine, but since I have a huge candida problem, I am concerned this is not enough. I am considering a whole house water filtration system and was wondering if anyone else has one and if they are happy with it. Or am I being too paranoid about this? Another website said chloronated water was not good to shower in or wash clothes in because chlorine can cause cancer. Also bad for those with respiratory problems and my son has asthma. My granddaughter bathes at our house often and is very sensitive to everything, soaps, detergents etc. Should I get one of these filters?? Does anyone else have one???
    comments please
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have 2 showers/baths, and I have the in-line filters for the spray and one of the hanging-ball type for each of the spouts. Sometimes I like to take really long baths, and before using the filter, the smell of chlorine was pretty overpowering. Now I don't even notice.

The filters I've got were through the Gaiam website, and I've been pleased with them. I had to go mail-order because I live in a small town. I'm not sure what resources there might be for someone living in a good-sized city.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am debating about the whole house thing vs just getting the shower and spout filters. I was online and saw the ones you were referring to. Would be much cheaper.
    Anyone else use any type of water filters?
    Thanks!!!
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Would really like to hear more about this.
    Thanks!!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For a whole house filter-we usually have a well but now we are on city water-yuk.

The whole house filters work well because you don't have to worry too much about them. I beleive there is even some electronic one now with no filters, though I don't know much about it.

I definately want one.

Love Anne C
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

In the 80's by having an under the counter water filter for our kitchen water; added the shower filter; then the bath filter.

A few years back, we went to the whole house filter. Called Life Source. We love it.

LIGHT************carole
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

How much is that whole house filter and where did you get it?

Love Anne C
  8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I really want to go the whole house route after looking into this more on the web. It seems like you can get one for around $850 to $1,000 and they last anywhere from 3 to 7 years.
    Now I just need to convince hubby that we really need one!
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I also use a Brita (or Pur) filter on my kitchen sink. I can't drink my water otherwise and even the cats try to cover it up if they get un-filtered water.

I've been thinking about one for the shower because I have so much trouble with my skin. The other thing is I color my hair and the chlorine can take it out pretty fast. My dermatologist even told me not to take as many baths and showers (but of course wash!) because I get little red sores sometimes and he believes a lot of it is the chlorine in the water.

Trust me, not taking a shower every day took some getting use to on my part, but it has helped my skin and hair.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  10. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

I have a whole house system which also purifies my drinking water and the water that makes ice cubes.

My system is made by Kinetico and consists of a water softner and a Reverse Osmosis (RO) Unit.

Most of the majot brands of water softmner companies have these now.

I ended up with the one we have when we compared warranties, cost to run, etc.

We have had ours for almost 14 years and I am sure it has paid for itself just in drinking water.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise

11. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Just moved & can't find the paperwork, but it's very expensive, and someone recommended it. If you google, you can find a rep in your area.

LIGHT***********carole
  12. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My husband agrees that the whole house filter is the way to go. He is going to research this , which he is very good at doing and take of getting one for us.
    It sure will be nice to be able to drink right out of the faucet again!
    Dar