Who's had an ANSAR test how has your health been?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tracii, Feb 6, 2007.

1. tracii

tracii New Member

Dr. Katz is sending me for an ANSAR test (and sleep study) if I can get the pre-approvals.

How many of you have had ANSAR tests, how did it help and how is your health now due to having the test?

Thanks so much!!!! ~Tracii
  2. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

So, what did you think of Dr Katz???

I just had an ANSAR, actually on Jan 24th, the day before my regular visit with Dr K. My new PCP has the set-up in his office.

I didn't have the tilt table part of the test ~ they aren't set up for that yet, but even if they were I would not have let them put me thru it. I get horribly dizzy just from turning my head, or just getting up too quickly ~ when I get a vertigo attack it can hang on for weeks.

The ANSAR showed I have dysautonomia. My blood pressure and heart rate dropped quite a bit during the testing. My PCP order a new blood pressure med and another med for the dips in the blood pressure. (Good grief, high AND low blood pressure) ~ unfortunately, my usually super-efficient mail order pharmach hasn't gotten them to me yet, so I can't tell you if they work or not.

What I can tell you is that I've known something like this was going on for a long time. It's been years since I've been able to just stand still in one place (that's when my BP dropped a lot) and I've had the light-headedness, dizzyness for years.

These past couple of weeks have been really hard on me, but that's due mostly to stress.

Over the past years I've gotten better at handling stress b/c I know it will drive me into a huge flare ~ but, like I said, I've gotten better at it, I still have a lot to learn in that area.

I finally took to "hibernating" the past 3 or 4 days. It works wonders for me. My kids are all grown, there's really nothing that will impact world peace, whatever, if I stay in bed until I feel better, so why not???? Right? Right!

The ANSAR is simply a diagnostic test to see if you autonomic system is working correctly. After the doc get the results he'll take it from there.

Both he and my primary care wanted me to go for a sleep study, but... Maybe one of these days (nights?) I highly doubt if I'd sleep for a second knowing there was someone watching me and charting every thing. (Yes, I am strange, very strange. Ü )

3. tracii

tracii New Member

Dr. Katz was nice. I'm just glad I've found someone who actually deals with all of these diseases/syndromes, etc.

I have to call Dr. Katz because the sleep study and the ANSAR test require pre-certs & pre-authorization.

Who is your PCP????? Cause mine sucks! Here Dr. Katz is sending me for tests (he ordered 16 blood tests!) due to my low blood pressure and my PCP comes right out & tells me why my blood pressure is low. I can't even remember what she said but of course it was the first possible lame reason. (She hadn't gotten Dr. Katz's report faxed over yet).

There's one issue I really need to bring up to my doctor's though ~and if anyone can tell me what this might mean, please tell! ~ for some reason the doctors keep saying I do not have joint swelling, but I do! Especially in the mornings and hot weather. My feet swell, my knuckles and fingers and my knees swell. You can always see the elastic marks left on my legs from socks.

Dr. Katz is sending me to Dr. Bulgarelli for the ANSAR test.

Geez, when I looked up the ANSAR test & just started to delve into all this new information ~ WOW, just so overwhelming! I was really hoping to get more feedback from this post. :( Thought more ppl would have responded.

So, what do you know about Autoimmune Dysfuntion & your diagnosis?

It's SO aggravating to know something is extremely wrong & there are a gazillion possibilities!

Thanks mar ~ nice to have someone who is going to the same doctor and all. :)

4. tracii

tracii New Member

5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

So far I don't really have any answers to share with you, tracii. The PCP I go to Dr Goldberg, Princeton Pike Internal Medicine, ordered Midodrine for me. There was some sort of mix-up at my mail-order pharmacy and I haven't even gotten it yet ~ like I said, nothing to report.

The midodrine is supposed to constrict the blood vessels and raise blood pressure a bit. However, I also have *high* blood pressure, so I'm wondering how this is going to work out. ??? He also put me on a different BP medication, Coreg. I'm supposed to go back to him on the 14th.

This is only the 2nd time I've seen Dr Goldberg, so I really haven't formed much of an opinion one way or the other. I think he may work out, there's a good possiblity. There are two other docs in the group, my dh and ds see Dr Gomes, the third doctor, none of us cared much for.

DH and I had been with a different medical group for 20+ years. When his employer dropped the insurance company we were using we were forced to pick from two other choices. The one we chose had our old PCP in their directory, but after our first visit last year we found out that it was a mistake. Over the course of last year we found out that about 50% of the docs in their directory no longer accepted this insurance. Ack!

We stayed with them though b/c I had gotten to the point where I knew how they operated. They do have great benefits if you don't get discouraged. I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the country, so I knew a lot of their tricks. It was a bit annoying, but I do get all of my claims paid.

If I remember from some of your other posts, aren't you down near Great Adventure someplace? Does the long drive bother you? It only takes me maybe 10 minutes to get to Katz' office and there are a good number of times I have to wake my dh up (he works shifts) to drive me there.

I'll post after I get my new meds and am on them for a while.

6. tracii

tracii New Member

Well, my insurance company did not approve the ANSAR test - I'm bummed.

My 2nd visit to Dr. Katz was a bit disappointing. Had me in and out of the office very quickly. We did not discuss anything about the ANSAR test, I had no time to ask any questions & yes, it's a HAUL to get to his office + a $40.00 copay!

I just want to feel good enough to work. :(
  7. greenkr1

greenkr1 New Member

My doc ordered an ansar test --- I know that there is a test for 'deep breathing' and such --- but could you describe or give details on what precisely the test involves?<BR>
    Thanks for any info,<BR>
  8. borucki1

borucki1 New Member

I have two ansar tests. Both tests showed I was at serious risk for sudden death.<BR>
    I followed up with a cardiologist. I was put through the testing, spent $1000.00 out of my own pocket just to find out that I was fine.<BR>
    I never had any symptoms that I reported to my PCP.<BR>
    I feel scammed!!!<BR>