Who's heard of a Saliva Stone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi groupies!
    I was reading old posts and researching my butt off trying to figure out my excessivly dry mouth.
    I came across talk of some members having a saliva stone?
    I never heard of such a thing!!!
    and I think it might be my problem!

Oddly,... all my one sided pain and mouth dryness started after ALOT of dental work!
    This past spring I had a abcess so bad that I had a huge bubble on the roof of my mouth that had to be lanced/drained! uuuggghh!
    then after that healed,... I had 4 fillings done and a root canal. (which abcessed on me too!)

I've had dental horrors all yr!! and this is when I noticed my mouth was severly dry~

My Rhuemy checked me for sjogrens(negative).
    My dentist told me to stop smoking when I told her I had dry mouth. She never evn investigated the cause.

How would I know if its a stone??
    I don't see anything.

my jawline is tender almost always but sometimes gets real bad.
    My mouth is so dry its sore inside!
    Please help if you can~
    I just need your input if your familiar with any of this

Hugs/Thanks
    Tandy
    (drs. have been NO help)
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

My mom has had saliva stones a few different times. She has dry mouth from a long list of meds, but her PCP was able to diagnose it. She pressed on something under her tongue and apparently it shows if there is a stone. For the life of me, I cannot remember what she prescribed, but whatever it was, it went away. The next time she had the same thing happen (one side of her face was puffy, and warm) she just called the doctor and went on the medicine. It might have been an antibiotic. Sorry that I cannot remember.

I think that before she got the medicine, she would gargle with warm salt water, and I believe that helped a bit.

Ingrid
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

them in my cheeks. if i make an "O" with my mouth, i can feel them at about the middle of my cheeks, feels like a tube under the skin and can be very tender. my dentist did an x-ray and we could see the tiny stones on both ends of the gland. he said they could do lipsotrispy (sp)to try to break them up, but i didn't want to do that. I don't have anything under my tongue, just my cheeks.

I have dry mouth too, I tried a new mouth spray to help keep your mouth moist, but it felt slimey in my mouth and I didn't like it. My tongue is always sore, but I am also iron deficient and that can make your tongue hurt too. I will be getting IV iron sometime this month.

I'm sorry you've had so many dental issues! at the end of '04 and beginning of 05, I had 4 crowns! I only have a few teeth that don't have crowns now.

Hope this helps some,
    maggie
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll hafta go take a thorough (sp?) look with a mirror inside my yak.
    LOL
    I don't know what it is going on but I'm not taking another symptom without a cause.
    I'm so sick of things going wrong and drs. shrugging their shoulders!

and yes,... my mouth kinda feels like it would if you burnt your tongue on something real hot.(the after-effects)
    make sense? but that feeling comes and goes.
    The dryness is just about constant,..night and day.
    when I swallow it feels like the back of my throat is super dry!
    ok,...I'm done whining for now.
    back to my water :)
    thanks alot guys!
    I apreciate your help~

will hafta try that salt water.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Was yours under your tongue(on the underside of your tongue itself?)??

or on the floor of your mouth under tongue?
    (like towards the roots of your front teeth??

am I making any sense? LOL
    I'm tryin to find out where to look.
    cause I don't know where our darn saliva holes are!!!
    LMBO
    I never gave it a thought before! I guess I took my saliva for granted! (still giggling) :)

and looking thru old posts on this subject,...
    yes,...you can come over and tweezer mine out if I find one! I give ya a few bucks for your time~
    :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I can feel holes on the inside of my cheeks on either side. Kinda freaked me out the first time I felt them. Use your tongue and you can put it on the inside of your cheeks, about in the middle towards the back and feel them. I thought this is where saliva came out. they are below where my stones are.

Weird huh!

maggie
  7. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

Yes, I had one many years ago. It hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. My jaw and neck swelled so big. I thought I had the mumps. Went to the ear nose and throut doc. He cut a real little slit under and to the side of my tong and used a tiny wire to stick in the tiny saliva duct and took out a little tiny rock. And I took codiene for the pain after words and it still hurt really bad. But finaly the next day it started feeling better. If you have a stone you will know it because of the swelling and pain.Jeanie
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Congrats on being so proactive!
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

My ex boss had one and it hurt him a lot. I don't remember much else about it, other than it was odd.

Tigger
  10. rinaldo

rinaldo New Member

Hi, Im being treated for the nerves in my tongue. I am taking a nystatin mouth rinse. It is really helping after 5 months of suffering.
  11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have many stones in my left and right perotid gland. My ENT said the stones are a putty like substance not a true stone.

I also experience dry mouth, eyes, etc. probably Sjoren's Syndrome.

I buy packages of clear small buttons, sterilize with alcohol and suck on one as much as I can. My doctor advised it to keep my saliva flowing so there's less chance of a stone getting stopped in a duct.

I keep mine in a contacts case. Put clean ones in left and when stop put it into the right "needs cleaning" side. It helps alot since I don't want to suck on candy all the time and can't chew gum because of dentures.

All of my doctors want me to quit smoking and I tell them I need at least 1 vice and if I don't smoke how I am going to die? LOL - of course they are not amused! ROFLMBO

Take care,
    Susan07

P.S. I was planning on going to the dentist but after your tales of horror maybe I'll wait...{{giggles}}
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Under my tongue looks ok. (surprizing!) I think thats the only place I don't see anything wrong! LOL

Mine (if at all) must be more towards the ear cause thats where its tender. Right under my ear seems to be a swelling,and its very sore there. ?? I'm only guessing that a stone could be my problem.

I suppose the next step is getting a referrel to a ENT dr.
    yet another dr. to poke and prod and give me his 'looks'
    when and if Fibromyalgia is brought up in my med. history.

huge hugs for all your input!
    Tandy
  13. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Tandy the ENT is your best bet. When I got a contrasting MRI I was glad to finally be able to SEE something wrong with me!

He did give me a medication to try and create saliva but I couldn't take it so I was back to my button's.

My jawline and left ear are almost always tender and I sometimes wake up feeling as if an ice pick is stuck in my ear. I have to roll over and then fluids drain back so I can get up after a few minutes.

I'm so glad that your tongue looks well {{giggles}}!

Take care,
    Susan07
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

Ok,..
    I'm thinking about sucking on buttons now :)
    Are they satisfying?? lol
    I'm kidding~ I won't knock it till I try it.
    (can I roll em in sugar??) lol again

Does it help? does it get the saliva going?
    so far I've been using gum or hard candy but I was also thinking,.." yea,..like I need more teeth problems/
    cavities'.
    I also popped into my drs. office as a walk in today,..
    cause my left ear was hurting a little bit and I guess I was just feeling nervous wondering whats going on with me?
    my throat even hurts when I swallow.

The doc. on call took 3 seconds to look in my ears and throat and write me a script for antibiotis.
    He said BOTH ears look inflammed.
    ???????
    maybe I'll be cured? !!! LOL :)
    Hope your evenings going well....
    Thanks again
    Tandy
  15. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

The buttons work great, inexpensive, long lasting, no sweet taste in mouth all the time and NO cavities!

In 2 years I've only swallowed 3, LOL!

The last 2 times I was on antibiotics was from infection in the perotid gland.

You should be feeling much better by tomorrow.

Take care,
    Susan07