Why am I sad that my labs are all normal????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't want to be unhealthy but I was hoping there would be some clear reason for why I feel so badly. Once again, everything looks great! I did have a high sed rate and slightly elevated albumin but doc isn't worried.

I guess I truely have fibromyalgia and that's the only explanation for all of this.

Doc was really nice. He said there IS a reason for my pain they just haven't figured fm out yet. I need to give science a little more time.

So I guess I'll just keep up with the naturopathic plan.

Doc did prescribe Tramadol. Have any of you had positive experiences with that med? I don't want to use a lot of meds but I have a family to care for and I can't keep up.

Anyone ever feel disappointed to be so healthy???

Sofi
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

BIG HUGS Sofi. Many of us have been through what you're feeling.

I still want them to find something when I have blood work.

And even when they have, (like thyroid, anemia etc) it helps but never Cures me when I take the stuff I need for that problem.

My heart is with you. I remember when I was in severe pain and I had to go through all the neurological stuff. Nothing was found and I was so sad.

The doctor said the same thing as yours. He said he knew I was in pain, but the tests were negative.

Hugs,
    Kendra
  3. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Sofi,

I've gone through this so many times. Just wishing the labs would show something so we could treat it. What I have learned is that as you've said "give science a little more time". We do have something, very bad. Like you, in the meantime, I am working on my own "treatment". I did want to mention that I am taking Tramadol. I started taking it a little over a year ago and like you was very hesitant because I didn't want to take a bunch of stuff but was desparate for some quality of life. It has helped somewhat with the pain. I still need vicodin when things get real bad.

Your post really touched me. I can really relate. Take care. Janice
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

It's good to be understood. I guess part of this is just the process of accepting Fibro as my diagnosis. I keep hoping to find a solvable problem.

No, they didn't test vit D. There are probably a lot of other tests I can do. We primarily tested for autoimmune and thyroid issues.

I'm thinking about looking into the Torrance FFC. I couldn't find any info on it. Does anyone have website info on it.

Thanks for comforting me.

Sofi

5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I am curious about your lab results. I don't want you to have to copy them all down, but there is alot of interpretation that goes into reading labs. For example, I've had many labs done over the years and not until this year (same labs over and over by different docs) did I find a doc that interprets them very differently from most others. In fact, he teaches other docs now how to read them (labs).

The IgA Serum is important. It should be between 100-150 not 81-463 as Quest Labs show. If elevated (above 150)than this means gut inflammation.

The thyroid is very open to interpretation and is often missed because doctors aren't trained to know better. Your T3 should be around 350 (scale is 230-420) or higher. T4 should be 1.3 (.8-1.8) or higher. TSH should hopefully be low...1.5-2.0 the scale says (.4 - 5.5) Were there thyroid antibodies present (the test is Anti TPO and s/b below 20)???

A very important one that shows mercury poisoning (usually from silver dental fillings) is Beta-2-Micr. Should be less than 1.85 otherwise you have mercury poisoning which causes fatigue, memmory problems, destroys and imbalances the immune system, disrupts hormones, etc..shows up as CFS & FM.

Pesticide poisoning (shows up as Parkinson's) is marked by the cholesterol Panel. My total cholesteral was 168, but my doc said that I showed pesticide poisoning by the ratio of LDL & HDL vs. the total cholesterol and mine was not what is should be. I need to find out what he meant by this when I see him on Monday. My amino acids were low which he thinks is related to a "toxic body".

Some doctors think that CFS & FM come from the body being too toxic. Anyway, I was just curious as to what labs were done and what the results were.

Hugs to you,

skierchik
  6. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Boy do I know how you feel!! You just wish they could find some bug or critter under the microscope that would show why you feel so bad! Anything to validate and explain why you hurt all over, all the time! Plus it would aleviate the feeling that "it's all in my head"!

As to your ELEVATED SED RATE.... follow through on that!! An elevated SED rate could mean POLYMYALGIA RHEUMATICA.

I first had an elevated SED rate and it was discovered that I had PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica). PMR makes you feel like there is gel in your joints, making it very painful to move, especially after sitting and then rising up to walk!! And you get fevers and feel like you have the flu 24/7!! You just feel sick! If you do have PMR, you definately need to go on steroids (prednisone) to bring your SED rate back to normal.

Be sure to ask your doctor to do a repeat SED rate test and ask him/her if you have PMR. If untreated PMR can lead to other health issues.

I did not have Fibromyalgia until after I was off the steroids and my SED rate came back to normal. But there is a distinct difference between the two diseases... PMR is in the Rheumatoid family of diseases.

I hope this does not scare you... that is not my intention. But I am surprised that your doctor didn't mention PMR to you. By the way... what was your SED Rate number?? Just curious. If you want more info on PMR, do a google search on it.

Hope this helps... and hang in there... there is always hope! Oh and as to the Tramadol... it really helps me.. eapecially since I cannot get any doctor to give me any thing stonger. Sometimes I take two Excedrine and one Tramadol.... or two of each if I am feeling really bad. Tramadol is a pretty "light weight" pain med so don't worry about it.

Blessings to you Sofi... CarolK
  7. Rene

Rene New Member

Yes, everyone wants to be validated and an abnormal test would do that plus give you hope that it can be fixed.

I did not want CFS and my doc was ruling it out amoung cancer ect and I couldn't even hold my head up. I saw a TV show Inside edition with a boy with CFS and I'm like no way I'd rather have cancer or anything but my doc couldn't find anything for the severe fatigue.

Well just hang in there. Remember we have Drs all over the world working on a cure for out disease.
    TC
    Rene
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't think we did those labs. There is a tsh - 1.47 but I can't find t3, t4, or any of the others.

I do have a slightly elevated albumin 5.0. And my sed rate is 35.

Low normal:
    WBC - 4.0 (reference range 4.0-11.0)

High normals:
    Total protein - 8.0 (6.0-8.2)
    Calcium - 10.1 (8.4-10.3)

I don't really know what to think.

Thanks for your input.

Sofi
  9. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

You want to be able to see what is going on cause there is SOMETHING going on and you know it!

Where did you get your lab work done?
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I believe that people who get the label of FMS or CFS believe there is an underlying reason for the symptoms and want to know the truth.

I also believe that, to some extent, we realize that the labels are just that and not believed to be real by a number of people ... perhaps even ourselves.

I fought the fact that I had FMS for a long time. Then came the diagnosis of CFS, and I still was firm on the fact that I had something that could be found that caused the problem. Tests and more tests!

One of my doctors stated, "You want to have lupus so that you will have something that is understood." I got mad at the time, but you know what, she was right.

After over 3 years being diagnosed with FMS and then CFS, my rheumatologist did find through the tests that I had Lupus. When I found that out, I had a mixture of feelings. First I felt, "see I did have something!" Then I felt, "oh my God, this can kill people!" What a mixture! I could only sit there (usually I am talkative).

I don't think that it is so foreign to feel disapointed when tests come back negative.

Hugs, Jeannette
  11. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I can't tell you how many times I cried because there was nothing wrong with me! At least if I could get a "normal" diagnosis, maybe I could be treated. So, YES, YES, YES, I understand how you feel. And sometimes it is so much harder when your loved when rejoice that "there is nothing seriously wrong with you". Never heard of Tramadol, but would love to know if it helps you. I have had quite a bit of success with FLexeril and melatonin. There is also some new research supporting Neurontin use in fibro patients (I can't use it because I am nursing). Sending hugs your way!
    Dawn
  12. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I just went to my first apt at the FFC in Cleveland on Monday. If you decide to go, they will do the labs to test your thyroid extensively as well as lots of others (The dr there ordered 44 blood tests for me). You can find out all about the centers at www.fibroandfatigue.com
    Good luck,
    Dawn
  13. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

We need validation,proof.

So many people and dr.'s don't believe that fm can be so awful.If we had heart disease they would believe us.But with fm/cfs it can be a hidden disease cause so many of us just keep trucking along with a smile on our face and people think "Oh, she's not sick.".I think we have all been where you are.{{{{{Sofi}}}}}}

I have tramadol.It helps a little.Most of the time not at all.

Take care and don't worry about those labs.Somethings are never diagnosed by lab work,scarey but true.Then out of the blue these diseases creep up and rob us of our lives.You don't need positive labs to prove you hurt ...not here.

Take care,
    Sheila
  14. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hearing your experiences makes me feel so much less alone. Thank you for understanding me and validating me. This is just such a discouraging dd.

I will look into the ffc. Do they take a natural approach at all?

Thank you all, again, for being here.

Sofi
  15. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I just had an appt with my rheumy yest. I told him how much I have learned from this message bd everytime I get on. I also told him I think they will find that FMS is a progressive disease and a degenerative disease. He said well, We know it is neurological and that may turn out to be degenerative with the brain. THey just dont know. When I was first diagnosed, My SED rate was 63. Normal is 20-25 Yesterday mine was 20. That was discouriging to me because like all of us, I just keep thinking there must be something else. I have wonderful drs. Couldnt ask for any better. They keep up with all of my blood levels etc. Polymyalgia Rheumaticia I was told by both of them is a age thing and I was told that at 51, Im too young for it. They say you must be atleast 60. I will be interested to see what our friends here have to say about that. As most of you know, Im on 27 different meds. I take tramadol as one of my pain relievers but I also take Darvocet, Loratab, Flexeril, naprosin,and cloroxisone which is a muscle relaxer like the flexeril. Sorry cant type or spell right today. I have upped my pain meds and he said that was fine. Something that helps me sooo much is that my drs believe me and I use one pharmacy for every prescription and they could always check up on me but they never do and that means the world to me. Love to you

Suzette
  16. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

as my ANA is positive 1:640 and my SSA,SSB and RNB were all positive, and they still aren't positive as to what I have, they said I am either in the early stages of Lupus or Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder, so I still don't know. I was also hopeing for a definite diagnoses but the more I read and research these illnesses I realize that they are all hard to diagnose. They mimic so many other things, and until one thing becomes prominent I will not know for sure, and a part of me doesn't want anything to jump out because that would mean something has changed or worsened. And So far it is all mild. I have my days when it is all worse and I have become very sun sensative. So anyways just wanted to let you know that it doesn't always help.
  17. dononagin

dononagin New Member

we do understand.. They tested me for lupus, for aids, for cancer.. you name it!! 10 years of testing after I was diagnosed with CFS only added Fibro to the mix.

I did not want these "syndromes".. Syndromes that people and even doctors don't understand or acknowledge.

You know how you feel.. you know something is wrong.. but nothing shows up on the tests.. or at least nothing extreme.. Doesn't it seem like we should have something extreme to feel this crummy all the time?? We know honey..

Tramadol is a good pain reliever as it is not believed to be as addictive as Vicodan or some of the other opiates. It helps. Sometimes it is not enough though and some people have nausea from it. I know I can't take it on an empty stomuch but I can't take most meds empty or I'm sick as a dog..

Hugs Sofi.. We do understand.. dona
  18. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Why have they not put you on prednisone?? Someone else here stated that it should be below 20 and that is absolutely correct.

So my point is, you do have inflammation in your blood... which is what PMR is... that is why they put you on prednisone, so that they can bring down the elevated SED rate.

Do ask your doctor about this... like I said before... UNTREATED PMR CAN LEAD TO OTHER HEALTH ISSUES.

BLESSINGS.. CAROLK
  19. suave

suave New Member

SOFI DONT FEEL BAD SAME HERE BUT I HAVE SO MANY DIFFERENT SYMPTOMS. EVERY TIME A DOC WOULD SAY EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD AND NORMAL I WOULD BE HAPPY BUT AT THE SAME TIME ITS ALMOST LIKE I WANTED THEM TO SAY SOMETHING WAS WRONG BECAUSE OF ALL THE PAIN AND OTHER PROBLEMS RELATED TO FIBRO. IS THAT MED FOR PAIN?
  20. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Maybe there IS something to find but you just haven't had the right testing. Perhaps there is an underlying problem that your current Dr can't find. If your Dr is only treating your symptoms and actively trying to find answers yopu should consider findind another Dr. don't stop until you get the answers! I felt the same way until I got good and mad and decided to fight this thing! good Luck and take care. Lynn