why am I sick?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by willruthie1965, Aug 2, 2006.

1. I am so frustrated I need to know what caused my illness>I am tying to figure out if it is somewhat contagious?Huby has it or maybe when I fell on my neck in may 2005.I started geting sick in oct 2005.Or possibly when we moved to new house with well water?The test shows I have sligh elevated R A test and xrays show neck spasms?Anyone that has any insight too how I can get better I am tired of not being able to pay my bills when I can Only work 4 or 5 hours a day.I have been offered a manger position in restaurant that would pay 31 thousand but just can'twork all the hours. I just want to be healthy again. Ruthie
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Oh, Ruthie if we only knew!

I am having to quit work (a cush desk job) at 54 y/o. I can't believe it I've been there for 15 1/2 yrs. My job is cush because if I don't get in until 10:30 it's okay. The problem is I just can't think straight anymore, it's hard to drive to work and I am so exhausted.

I've known I had FM since 1988 but wasn't diagnosed until mid 90's. I don't know when mine started, I can remember childhood incidents but really felt it after birth of second child (an extremely ill pregnancy).

I don't think it's contagious as much as it is genetic, my younger sister has it too. I think my mom does but she chalks everything up to arthritis.

Take care you are in my prayers for acceptance of this darn disease and a good doctor to work with and insight into what you can do to make things better.

Susan
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

If we knew the whys we might not need this board for we might have a "Cure".

I fought it for a long time, I tried so many meds and tests and Drs. I was stubborn for so long.

Now it is something that I deal with and have learned to live with. I do not ask why. I do not feel bad about myself or think of what I could do, if not for this.

I still try new ideas and meds, etc.

I rejoice that once I did much and that I had experienced so many things in my life ...prior to this. I feel blessed in that.

Blessings to you.......I understand where you are coming from.............Susan
  4. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

So far it appears to be genetic as most people have said. Many other people have also said that it's often caused by head and/or neck trauma. From what you said about the falling on your neck and the neck spasms I would reason it was that. It definitely isn't contagious and is genetic though, that's known for certain by now. I wish you the best!
  5. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

You ask a very difficult questions, and I wish I had an answer for you. I know I ask myself that every day..what the heck caused me to get to this point. I know my CFIDS began after having mono 9 years ago, and things got worse after my son was born 5 years ago. So, I assume it was the virus that kickstarted my disease, but will I ever really know? Probably not.

For some people, it takes years and years of tests to find a true cause. And some people may never know what caused their illness. That's definitely what makes these diseases so mysterious.

I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated by your disease right now. I hope you find peace in knowing that you are not alone.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Hi all,

My doctor told me that he puts his FMS pts into 3 categories and that I fit all 3: viral (the mono), trauma (whiplash from a fall), and genetic (sisters and cousins have FMS).

I started w/ a dx of CFS when I had the mono, so if FMS is the same, I don't know. It seems I have both. Maybe they overlap one another.

I am in home-health today. I tried office jobs and cannot take the stress and also being cooped up. I need to be able to move around and stretch, as I am in chronic pain in my neck.

I went from disability to going back to school and getting my Associate degree and working again, though what I can do is limited. But, in 20 years, I have made progress! Never give up HOPE!.Patti
  7. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I know how you feel. I was 49 when I got hit with CFS. I was already suffering with FM, and had been since mid thirties. I was divorced so I really needed to work.

When I became sick I was diagnosed with my second case of mono. The first case was when I was 19. I also just moved to a new home. I was working 6 and 7 days a week.

I was taking adult tap dance classes. One regular class the other a duet class with my best friend. We'd even do the recitals and other shows. I was taking lessons on the piano and organ. I rode a big goldwing motorcycle. Had even rode it out west and in the Rockies a couple of times.

In short, I was having the time of my life. And to all the people who didn't get that I was really sick, all I could say is why in the world would anyone having a good paying job, her dancing, music lessons, motorcycle riding, bowling, etc. etc. decide to give it all up to lay at home in bed and on the sofa.

The final straw that broke this camels back was probably Mono. But I think stress, running my legs off, mold in the house, divorce, mother's death all in a short period of time may have played a part in it.

Anyway, I've just had to except it. I've learned that wishing, worrying, getting frustrated and upset just makes me sicker. So I except that things are what they are, and I've learned to enjoy what I've got left, because there are those who would love to have the little life I still can enjoy.

I hope things get better for you. They have for me. I'm now getting my SSD and I can make it financially. That was my biggest worry.

Wish you the best.
    Barb
  8. colaloulou

colaloulou New Member

why there is no answer i have had this illness since 1994 ,before that they told me i was nuts.i have tried to research everything i could find to get the answer .this is the hardest illness you can have. i had a sroke and recovered, this thing is still here. i take it day by day .i no longer work i loved to work. i had my own bussiness now its gone. don't ask why there is no answer.try to focus on your good days. its like somone with cancer you make the best of it only we are not going to die. although somtimes i think it would be a blessing.but then i wouldnt hurt my family would so i try to stay tough. cindy
  9. I thank you all for your kind words.As for as the new house it is better than what we had,but we have well water.I am wondering about this also.As for as hubby he was dx about 7 years ago.Some people have actually tried to tell me I got sick because I am hypercondriac and being around him. That upsets me why would I wait 6 years to get sick If I have made this up.I do remember my mom sitting down all the time and not doing much but I thought it was depression from my brother dying. Ruthie
  10. colaloulou

colaloulou New Member

DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU YOUR NOT SICK BECAUCE YOU ARE ITS NOT IN YOUR HEAD!DONT FEEL GUILTY. THIS IS A REAL ILLNESS godbless cindy
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ruthie:

I sometimes wonder myself. I believe I have some kind of weird disease that is some stealth infection which remeains low key in the body.

I do not think about it much anymore. Sometimes it will pop in my head, but I take it out just as fast.

nyrofan