Why am I so tired in the morning and then get energy at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by shadygap, Apr 12, 2004.

1. shadygap

shadygap New Member

I feel like a baby that has their days and nights reversed. I can barely crawl out of bed in the morning. I am a teacher and I can hardly keep from yawning through all my morning classes. In the afternoon I am also tired and I sometimes can barely stay awake to drive home. Then about 9 at night when I should be going to sleep I start to wake a little bit. This is so different from my typical self. I have always been an early to bed, early to rise person. I was always at my best in the mornings and did start to wear down in the afternoon and ready to sleep at night but now it so different. All day I am exhausted..then for about 2 hours at night.beginning at 8 or 9..I have some energy and then of course I don't sleep well either anymore. Why the change in my pattern?
  2. LottieWilkins

LottieWilkins New Member

I have similar shifts. Used to be able to do my best work/thinking in the morning. Now it's hours before my brain kicks in, sometimes in some regular pattern, sometimes at random. I've learned to just take it easy during the "down" times, and gently use the "up" ones. This has enabled me to continue full-time work (including research, and academic and technical writing).

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in the pattern change. There may be a specific reason for it; or it may be one of those lovely, nebulous "features" of this bizarre illness.

Best,
    - Lottie
  3. neen85

neen85 New Member

I went through a period where I DID have my days and nights completely reversed! I have a hadr time in the mornings now! One theory is that our body temp lowers during the night(and for those who already have a low body temp)which makes it impossible for our bodies to function. Our enzymes don't work,we don't produce hormones correctly,nothing works right at the cellular level. I think our circadian rythm is messed up also! Daneen
  4. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

has to do with the meds you take before bed? I know when I take elavil or flexeril I have to take it early in the evening or I wake up feeling like a zombie.

I work full time too so I've got to be able to get up too. It's still difficult anyway.. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2004]
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

You've hit one of my problems dead center, Shadygap. I really miss being able to get up and get going. Now it's get up and slop around the house, read the paper, go back to bed and snooze, try it again, and eventually get dressed and out the door in time to teach my 1:00 PM class.
  6. shadygap

shadygap New Member

Yes.....I would love nothing more than to be able to crawl back into bed around 9 or 10 and sleep till noon and then take an afternoon nap too. Now I always was an afternoon napper if I could..but this morning exhaustion is just terrible. I even have started taking NADH but so far it's not doing anything. I want to have energy in the morning as I used to. I will try adjusting the time of nighttime meds but wonder if that will help or not.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2004]
  7. Sharon1226

Sharon1226 New Member

it was my meds. It used to drive me crazy, but I just adjusted them and now things are okay.
    Sharon
  8. legalscooby

legalscooby New Member

This sounds exactly like me. I have the most horrible time getting out of bed in the morning. When I finally do, I just feel completely and totally exhausted all day. It's so bad at times, I've honestly thought that I would fall asleep in my chair at work! Then in the evenings, somewhere around 8 or 9 o'clock, BOOM, my eyes pop open and I'm wide awake.

I don't take any meds on a regular basis, so I'm not sure what my reason is.
  9. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I think it may be because of our adrenal glands. I read that we are so tired all day because the adrenals won't respond to "being whipped" by the hypothalamus, but by the end of the day after being whipped all day they finally start to respond and that is when we get the most energy of the day. Don't know if that is right, but something I have read a few times. I am the same way...Exhausted all day ..they say adrenal fatigue is at it's worst in the morning and between 3-4pm..that is me.
  10. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

If you search adrenal and cortisol issues on this site you'll find this is a very common cause for this pattern. I know it is the case with me and we are working hard trying to find the right combo of adrenal enhancers and thyroid supplements.

Read up on "adrenal fatigue" and it'll al make sense......there's evena book with this title that I browsed for a long time at Barnes and Noble.and it sure makes sense and gives plenty of ideas of how to get back on the right path.
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

As a matter of fact, this morning I went back to bed twice before I absolutely had no time left and had to go to work. Of course, I was late. I'm just glad the people I work for understand this sometimes. And like you, I get a burst in the evening.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Hi,

I have the same problem except I have the "luxury" of being able to stay in bed if I want. Most times I get up anyway and sit in my posture correct (can't remember the name) chair and just wait.

At night I take my meds AT LEAST 1 hour before bedtime and sometimes it works. Most of the time though I still wake up about every 2 or 3 hours. Fortunately the meds I am taking now allow me to go back to sleep almost all of the time.

I think it was Vilke that said out electrical systems were messed up. I have to agree with that because something really strange happened yesterday.

I was rubbing the back of one of my greyhounds and I had my left hand on her chest and was using the right to go full length down her back.

Every time I did I got a fairly good shock in my left fingers. My mother was sitting there and I told her what was happening and she said it was static electricity. I couldn't tell if my dog was feeling it or not.

I got my mother to try it the exact same way and it didn't happen. I tried it again and there was definate electricity in my fingers and it hurt.

I called my other greyhound and the same thing happened with me and not with my mother. Okay, I still haven't gotten shocked enough so I call my third dog. Same thing.

My mother repeated my action exactly and she didn't get shocked. The dogs didn't appear to be getting shocked because they kept coming back to get their backs rubbed.

I don't know if it has anything to do with FMS but it sure is weird.

Anyone else have something similar happen?

Dee
  13. pastel

pastel New Member

I too was a morning person and now it takes me all morning
    to rest and slowly prepare for the afternoon!

Dee: my partner who has cfs had a similar electric shock
    type of experience when we were in the paking lot of
    a store located adjacent to a large power grid.
    He put his hand on the trunk of the car and felt a sense
    of electricity, almost a surge or pulsing feeling. He repeated this several times with the same effect. I
    didn't feel it but it certainly freaked him out!

14. whoachief

whoachief New Member

I am always tired in the morning and take a nap almost EVERY afternoon - only time I don't is if I or one of the kids has a drs appt. or something. I try to keep afternoons free so we can all nap.
  15. mommysisland

mommysisland New Member

Me too!
    Mornings are awful, time around 4pm. very difficult, and then relief after 8pm and then again if I'm up after 11pm.

I've read and been told that this is a symptom of adrenal fatigue and also mercury toxicity. Sleep/wake cycle like body temp, blood pressure and heart rate are all hypothalmic activities.

I've been a night owl since I was a young girl though. But I could get somewhere if I needed to at 7am. Not anymore, I basically stay up all night to make sure I'll get somewhere if it is before 9:30 am.!

Take care everybody!

Jess

16. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

It depends on when your metabolism peaks during the day time. Most people, especially those who have a work schedule have a peak performance time that rises slowly upward toward the end of the day. This is a bad thing for us because our sleep is already thrown off.

It is determined by your body's setpoint, which is controlled by the hypothalamus, a mini-brain within your brain. This is also a bad thing since ours is caught-up in the "Bermuda triangle" known as the HPA axis.

Normal folks can actually alter this peak time by exercising during the early morning hour between 5:30 and 6:30. This causes the peak performance time to rise closer to mid-day, which allows your body time to wind down naturally closer to bedtime.

Hope this helps,
    Lane
  17. pepper

pepper New Member

I am going to a sleep lab because one of my doctors thinks that my adrenal glands are way out of whack, as a few others here have mentioned.

He asked me how I feel when I am lying in bed trying to sleep and I told him that although I am exhausted, I am not really sleepy. He said that was probably from the adrenal glands continuing to secrete cortisol instead of slowing down because it is night time.

That may be your problem too.
    Pepper
  18. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

...regulates the Adrenals by sympathetic nerve impulses and by mechanisms triggering release of specific hormones.

You can do cortisol testing by blood (taken AM & PM) or by 24-hour urine to determine proper levels. Cortisol is at its highest level between 6-8 A.M. and gradually falls, reaching its lowest point around midnight.

Love & Care
    Lane

[This Message was Edited on 04/13/2004]
  19. enchant5509

enchant5509 New Member

I'm new to the board but have had fatigue for 10 years. I am hypothyroid (surprise) but management has not helped. My absolute worse time is in the a.m. I cannot wake up when I'm in one of these funks. I have not been diagnosed with CFS. I do not take meds in p.m. but do take thyroid meds in a.m. I'm waiting for a call from sleep doc. My feeling is it is definately a biochemical thing! Feel better!
  20. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

including lots of salt in your diet. Low adrenals might respond well to extra salt. The morning fatigue and nightime energy is also a symptom to neurally mediated hypotension. Do you find it hard to stand for a long time? Do you feel weak from standing? In neurally mediated hypotension, your blood pressure drops too low in response to standing, and extra salt throughout the day helps to keep your blood pressure stable and licorice root or Florinef helps your body to hold the salt instead of excreting it to quickly. Neurally mediate hypotension can be diagnosed by a tilt-table test, which I had done with a positive diagnosis.