Why am I swelling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Caralissa, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Caralissa

Caralissa New Member

This started a few weeks ago and it's not from heat or lack of water. My fingers have been swelling, worse and worse. I can't get my wedding rings off. It's always worse when I wake up. Shortly after this started I would notice my face was swelling up also. Major puffiness around my eyes, cheeks and mouth. It wouldn't go away for hours. Now I wake up today and my throat just under my chin is swollen, I look like i have no chin. I would think this was wieght gain, but I have been losing wieght. This is very uncomfortable and my fingers hurt really bad sometimes. I take vioxx every day but I still have the swelling. Can anyone help? Thank you, Caralissa
  2. Goodday

Goodday New Member

I think you should see your medical doctor. Have your heart and kidney's checked soon. Also your thyroid and maybe check for some strange allery symptoms, and blood pressure. You are retaining water in your tissues. Right now you might want to eat less table salt or other salty foods, stay away from nitrates, such as ham, weiners, luncheon meats and yellow cheese. My mother retains water on the cellular level when she eats these types of foods. She is currently on a diuretic and blood pressure combination pill. Hope you find out soon what is causing this! Goodday
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I ususally don't swell. Over a period of 4-6 weeks, I started swelling, a little, then a little more, and then more. When I was at the point that I could not wear my rings any longer and my feet and ankles were so swollen that I could not wear my shoes, I decided to get it checked out.

Turns out that I was in congestive heart failure!!!!!!!!! I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. They got 12 lbs. of water off me.

It could also mean some problems with your kidneys.

It's better to be safe than sorry .... I would get it checked out. I know that I'm glad that I did!
  4. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Taking any new meds? There are many that cause fluid retention. If not, get things checked out - take care :)
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have had the swelling in my neck and under chin, usually when I am in a flare, or just very tired. My doctor's say they don't think, it is a part of Fibro. However, books I have read say it is. I retain fluids very easily also. Thought I had heard it was part of fibro. Please check with your doctor, just to be safe!

Kim PS! You can also go to message search, at top of the page and type in fluid retention, swelling, etc. and will probably find other posts which might help you! Also, do you eat many foods with salt?