Why Anxiety / Depression with this DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jun 14, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hi All,

I know many of us not only suffer with the pain, fatigue and a thousand other symptoms but also with the anxeity and depression that seems to be part of this dd..

In fact if it wasn't for the anxiety/depression I feel the other complaints would be much easier to deal with..

So my question is why is anxiety /depression a part of this disease? My doc says its two different things but I have to disagree..I never felt so anxious and depressed until the CFS...

Also, has anyone found anything that helps with the anxiety/depression..Seems I have tried almost everything but to many side effects and just didn't stick with it long enough...

Venting,
    greatgran
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I think that anxiety and depression go along with any chronic illness, not just CFIDS and FM. When you feel so sick every day like most of us do, it's hard to imagine one wouldn't feel depressed and anxious. I mean, we're forced to face the reality that there's a lot of things we can not longer do like we did before. I used to be able to work a 40-hour/week job easily. Now, it's difficult just to work the 16 hours that I'm working now. And, I'm only 24 years old. I should have so much energy and strength and I should be at the prime of my life. But instead, I'm often very sick with fevers, chills, aches, fatigue, etc, etc, etc. I watch the days pass thinking my son is being cheated out of his mother. But, I still force myself to make sure he has a good life.

I hope this all makes sense, it seemed to make sense in my head. But, you know how that goes, lol. Just remember you are living with what can be a devastating disease, so what you are feeling is normal.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i sympathize with you. i had occassional bouts of low-level anxiety b4 i get sick, but nothing unmanageable. around the time i got sick, i started having epic panic attacks like something was attacking my nervous system. since then, i have wrestled with both anxiety and depression and yes, they are the hardest symptoms to deal with. i often think to myself, "ok, i'm a little achey, a little tired, but there are lots of people in the world with health problems. get back in touch with people, get back to work, back to life," but it's the anxiety and depression that keep me fearful and hesitant.

hugs,
    eddie
  4. ardnave

ardnave New Member

Hi GreatGran,

I definately believe from my own experiences that the anxiety particularly is an integral part of the illness.

Mine comes and goes with the severity of my general symptoms.

One theory I've heard is that it can be connected to the low magnesium levels common in this illness. I find i can get some relief with magnesium supplementation but actualy getting the mag inside ones cells is a whole other story.

Another theory is that it can be as a result of the brainfog and poor concentration, ie. anxiety triggered by low awareness.

Personaly it works well for me that it's a combination of both of the above ( plus any other unknown physical cause) combined with the general stresses of dealing with life while being severly debilitated and feeling diabolical.

I think the social factors can very naturaly give rise to anxiety also as the social isolation and loss of general respect of those around us are things ones character doesn't take lightly.

With regards to depression I read that the levels of occurence are the same as with any other chronicaly disableing illness.

In my own case I prefer to think of it as misery rather than depression as my mood lifts with my symtoms.

I haven't found any real solutions but good nutrition seems to help a bit and as much avoidance of stress inducing situations as possible. I've also cut out any contact with unsupportive people as I find them very sapping to my inner srength.

I also use breathing exercises to keep myself calm, even just staying aware of ones breathing, ie. breating conciously, can be quite effective.

Though it can sound a bit glib in the face of deep depression I put allot of effort into keeping my sense of humour as it realy helps to keep me buoyant.

Sorry this was so long and I hope you can find some relief.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for sharing your experiences..It does help to feel you are not completely crazy..and there of those like you that understand..My heart goes out to each of you..

Lamotta77, How are you doing and have you found any help with your anxiety? I am thinking about trying a very low dose of zoloft..any in advise...I am to see a rheumy Tues..if I can get there its about 2 hrs away and with my agoraphobia who knows.. but I will wait till after his visit to start..I hate to be negative but feel this may be a wasted trip..

Thanks and God Bless each of you,
    greatgran
  6. knitfan

knitfan New Member

I also have an anxiety/depression issue. I am working on cognitive behavior right now from self-help books as I don't have insurance to go see anyone. I tried several meds for anxiety also, which I have reacted to all. I cannot take any narctoics for pain. Makes the panic worse than if I just try to work through it myself. I also have been shoring up my faith in God by reading the Bible and using specific verses regarding fear and peace. It's definitely a mixed bag for some us to get all these things balanced out to help ourselves.
  7. knitfan

knitfan New Member

Also wanted to mention the title of a book that I am currently working through that has been extremely helpful.
    "Anxiety, Phobias, & Panic" by Reneau Z. Peurifoy, MA
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Seems we have a lot of the same problems with our anxiety etc..Do you stay home or get out and try to work and go? I go only when I have to, have become a hermit..One reason is I feel so darn bad from the CFS another is fear..

AD's cause my anxiety to be much worse and it feels as though there are bees in my head or something..I have this head thing anyway..

The NAC that you mentioned I have heard is good for detox and CFS in fact that is what the homopathic told me and wanted be to take it..After becoming so sick from the other meds he had me on I didn't try it..

Thanks to each of you for your replies I appreciated you all so much..

God BLess
  9. ardnave

ardnave New Member

Hi Greatgran,

Another thought has floated up. A while ago I asked a homeopath friend for some help with the emotional side of the illness in a similar vein to what you've expressed above, ie. 'Ok I'm horribly ill and debilitated and I accept that, I just want to stop worrying and being miserable about it.'

She gave me a remedy called 'psorinum 200' 200 is the 'strength' of the remedy). The action she was prescibing it for was 'despair of recovery' and it did indeed seem to help me a great deal.

If you google it there's lots of info on it, most of which won't be relevant so i'd suggest you add 'despair' to your search to get the most relevant results.

Also in connection to acetyl L-carnitine, my anxiety symtoms largely resolved themselves after I added large amounts of red meat to my diet (which is the dietry source of L-carnitine) and I now also top this up with a supplement.

I also found my anxiety dropped considerably after takeing candida anti fungals. I don't think candida is the root cause of the anxiety by any means but in my case it was definately making it much worse.

regards

10. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Many people who have bipolar disorder are misdiagnosed as having anxiety disorder.

Then you are treated for the anxiety with a medication that makes you more anxious. This reaction is often promoted by antidepressants alone.

Antidepressants alone can make a bipolar person manic. The symptoms are very similar - racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, irritability, excessive spending, insomnia...

Bipolar disorder is not just the hyper-manic "I can fly so I'll jump off the building" grandiose thinking stuff - that is Bipolar Disorder Type 1.

Bipolar disorder Type 2 is characterized with more depression than mania and hypomania - anxiety type symptoms.

Just thought I would toss it out there - that was the case with me. I am on a combination of two drugs right now - Seroquel (mood stabilizer) and Cymbalta (antidepressant).

I have not had a panic attack since I was treated for bipolar disorder vs. depression alone.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

our "feel good" hormones like seritonon and (Epinefran?)are low.I think that if our antidepressants are too low than we feel depressed.Linda