Why are mornings the worst

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by celina, Apr 27, 2003.

1. celina

celina New Member

As the title says, why are mornings the hardest part, I can't even move sometimes and if I can the dizziness usually knocks me back on my ass.
    Celina
  2. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

other than the fact that our bodies have been relatively immobile for several hours and that usually causes alot of stiffness and inflammation, can be made worse depending on what you are sleeping on and how much restorative sleep you have actually been able to get. When my kids ask why i am so bad in the a.m. I answer with "so i truly appreciate the rest of the day!"LOL love Rebel
  3. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I have to go to work at 7am. I get up with my husband at 3:30am so I can get all the aches and pains worked out before I go to work.
    I believe it is the immobility and poor sleep that we all have that leads to all the morning pain. It makes getting up hard to do. Hugs, Valley.
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I am so stiff & achy. I'm sure it's from immobility. If I've had a good night I'm very stiff next morning. If I've had a bad night w/lots of tossing & turning I'm not as stiff.

That said I am working only half days right now & I chose the mornings!! I'd rather get up earlier & work out the kinks than go to work in the P.M. when pain is worse.

Take care........Kathi
  5. tannat

tannat New Member

Mornings are my worst. I am at work right now, but I almost didn't make it in this morning. I'm down to 3 days a week officially, but for the last 6 weeks I have only made it in 2 days a week. Here's hoping I can make 3 days this week!!

Tanna
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

I have CFS and all the symptoms of FM as well.

My brain is slow to awaken, I find it takes an hour or so before it seems to register than it's supposed to be more alert. On bad days it takes longer or just stays in its switched off state. Therefore I take this time slowly; if the weather's ok I wrap up and sit outside for a while in my wheelchair, eat, take my meds and supps.

I'm often very stiff but once this starts to wear off and I've done some gentle stretching this is the time of day when my muscles are at their strongest.

I too have real problems with dizziness and balance. Often worst in the morning. I find it's best to rise then move slowly and gently until things are more settled.

Cheers

Tansy
  7. RedB

RedB New Member

When I first got sick, I did not have morning stiffness and achiness. I had no idea what the doctors were talking about when they said "are mornings worse?".

Well, good things don't last forever. LOL After awhile it hit! I literally was run over by a truck over every inch of my body. Just standing without falling was a challenge, and then I would do what my dad calls "the Old Man Shuffle" around the house to let the dog out and get all the animals fed. By the time I had bent over to clean out 2 litter boxes, I would be pretty much stretched out again.

This achiness is a totally different thing from the rest of my pain, and I agree with the above post that it comes from inactivity for so many hours.

A few weeks ago I started taking Neurontin. This is the first drug that has made any kind of dent in my pain. With it, the morning stuff is gone. Of course, I would love to stay in bed forever, but it is so nice to have your mind come alert and not immediately have the pain set in. Getting out of bed is once again pretty much what it used to be before my FM. It's nice. And I'm only taking 100 mgs twice a day. I still have some pain, but not the morning stiffness.

Kathy
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Celina:

I think morning stiffness is a common problem for us. My doctor suggested sleeping with a pillow between my legs, which has helped. They also showed me how to get out of bed-rolling over on my side and then pushing myself up. I also was shown some stretching exercises, which I do morning and night. I still have the stiffness problem, but it's not as bad as it was.

Ellen
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...is that they are the only class of illnesses that are worst in the morning. This is one reason why Fibro ended up being classified as a rheumatic illness. Of course, we now know it is a neuro-hormonal disorder with Rheumatic affects.
    I find keeping myself unseasonably warm in bed helps some with this. If I let myself get cold, it's all over....I can't even step down on my feet in the morning without massaging them, or I'll fall over!
    Klutzo
  10. AC77

AC77 New Member

I feel the same too! I think mornings are bad for many people in general. One reason I believe is many of us aren't getting the quality sleep that is essential to all people healthy and sick alike. Also, waste products from the body tend to accumulate and detoxify in the AM from the previous night. I think it's good practice to have a nice LARGE cup of fresh water with Lemon--I prefer steam distilled, before you do anything especially before coffee. A dry massage of the body may help lymph to flow. Massage the neck and underarm area and the groin (on the sides), in the femoral region. I once read early dawn sunlight was helpful in setting our rythyms. I think learning to mediate for 10mins only, at this time while we drink this water would really help. Not trying to sound like a hippie, hahaha.

I don't do this myself, so I can't comment on its efficacy, but I think I may start. Mornings are great time for fresh pressed veggie and fruit juices too, which may have detoxifying effects. I think MSM supplements would also help us along. I guesss giving it a try for a few weeks couldn't hurt!

11. celina

celina New Member

Thanx for all your wonderful ideas, I will definetly take the time to find out which one works best.
    Celina