Why are our glutathione levels so low?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jolie, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear all,

Has anyone figured out just why peole with CFIDS have low glutathione levels?

I cannot take Immunopro to raise my glutathione levels due to milk allergy. I've had Meyers' cocktails I.V.s with glutathione added, which have helped enormously. Unfortunately, I am a four hour round trip drive to the nearest doctor who will do I.V. drips. I thought I might work at it from another angle: why it is so low in the first place.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Love,

Jolie
  2. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear htmv,

Thank you for the interesting information. I"m still wondering why our glutathione levels are so low in the first place. Does anyone know?

Thank you,

Love,

Jolie
  3. dimarc

dimarc New Member

From what I have read on Glutathione when there is poor diet, pollution, drugs, radiation, stress, injury, trauma, aging along with many other health disorders including those that weaken the immune system (fibro, etc) three things naturallu happen (a) buildup of free radicals (further weakening the immune system), (b) oxidative stress and (c) build up of toxins which deplete glutathione levels causing celllular aging, and disease
    Free radicals play an important role in the development and progression of many of these disorders. The brain is particularly susceptible to free radical attack. The brains' main antioxidant is glutathione. Because fibro tends to deplete the immune cells of glutathione, it's important to try to put Glutathione in your body to help strenghten the immune system.
    Have you tried Immunocal. I believe it is lactose free? I've also heard some good stuff about Colostrum, but I've never used it.
    Hope this helps a little
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

This is something I haven't looked into yet. How do you go about getting your level tested? Is this something I should ask my dr. to arrange (or do) when I see him tomorrow?

JoAnn
  5. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear Dimarc,

Thanks for the info on glutathione. It will be very helpful. Immunocal won't help my milk problem because it is not a lactose intolerance, but allergy to milk, which is different than lactose intolerance.

Do you happen to know why fibromyalgia uses up glutathione?

Thanks so much,

Love,

Jolie
  6. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear Jadibeler,

I don't think it's worth testing for your glutathione levels since, as I understand it, just about everyone with CFIDS has low glutathione levels.

What IS important to discuss with your doctor is how to raise glutathione levels. Immunopro works very well for many people, if you are not allergic to milk.

I have found I.V. infusions with glutathione to be wonderful. I always feel like a normal person as I leave the doctor's office after I've had one. Usually you get it wtih a Meyer's cocktail, an I.V. that has 20 grams of vitamin C, B complex and several other minerals that are low in CFIDS.

If I didn't live out in the boonies, I would be in having Meyer's Cocktails with glutathione twice a week for a while and then reduce to once per week. I have felt the best when I was having a lot of them

Hope this is helpful.

Love,

Jolie
  7. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Good. I don't need another test! This Meyer's Cocktail - is it covered by insurance? You say it makes you feel better - in what ways?

I've been researching glutathione on Google - boy, some confusing stuff there, but I got the general idea. It seems as if much of the recommendations are to take amino acids. No I understand why so many here mention taking them. Also seems that depletion could be the reason for the neurological symptoms we all struggle with.

I'm going to search the past-posts now. Everytime I think I'm done spending hours at this computer, I find something else I'd better know about! My back is killing me.

Thanks for your answer.

JoAnn
  8. annepat

annepat New Member

Several compounding pharmacies can compound injectable glutathione/ATP, per the protocol of Dr. Patricia Salvato, MD. Dr. Salvato is located in Texas-you might be able to call her office to get the study info.

College pharmacy in colorado is where I get my injectable glutathione.

NOTE: Vitamin C NEGATES glutathione in Meyers cocktails-they need to be given seperately!!!

anne
  9. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear Annapat,

I tried that ATP/Glutathione I.M. injection from College Pharmacy and it did not help me at all. In addtion, Dr. Cheney says that the injections of glutathione don't work very well.

Please let me know if you are having a postive experience with injectabel glutathione. I would be very interested!

Thank you,

Love,

Jolie
  10. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Excellent idea to do a search on glutathione on this website.

Thank you,

Love,

Jolie
  11. dimarc

dimarc New Member

My guess, from stuff that I have read on why our Glutathione levels are so low would be that Glutathione is produced within the cells. If we don't have enough of the amino acids that help make glutathione (glycine, glutamate, and cysteine) which Fibro and CFS patients usually don't, not enough Glutathione will be produced in the cells. Free radicals kill off good cells. Without the Glutathione our livers cannot get rid of toxins which tend to build up in our systems. Don't quote me on any of this. This is just my interpretation of it all. Maybe you could do some research on the amino acids I mentioned and see if that would be a way to go as far as helping the cells produce Glutathione. Let me know what you find out. I'm always looking for ways to supplement..
    I do agree with checking the library here at this site. Dr. Chaney has some of the best articles on Glutathione.
    Hope this helps a little.
  12. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Thank you dimarc. All interesting and good ideas to explore

Love,

Jolie
  13. annepat

annepat New Member

I've been on them for almost 4 years. I take them every other day to every day.

It's not an immediate response-we built the dose up slowly. I also get Iv's w/glutathione or Vit C IV's.

The injections have helped me. The ATP seems to work well w/the glutathione.

the effect is subtle-better body temp regulation, fever when I herx-some cognitive clarity. Glutathione injections work are not fun...and they are not a cure, but they work well as part of my protocol. anne
  14. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear annapat,

Thank you for your reply. Interesting that you built up the injections and do them daily or every other day.

I just visited our tiny medical center and the doc there is willing to give me I.V.s with glutathione, vitamin C etc. as long as I can get some one to mix them up for him first, since he doesn't even know what a meyer's cocktail is. (I'm certain that my doc in the city will be willing to do this)

I am very excited about the prospect of getting glutathione I.V.s perhaps twice a week at first and then once a week. It sounds to me that you have been doing I.V.s, but continue to do the glutathione/ATP injections.

Would you kindly fill me in on your experience?

Thank you very much,

Love,

Jolie
  15. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I've been considering Dr. Salvato. It's only about 1 1/2 hr. drive to Houston. I thought my local doctor was going to go along with me with everything I've been learning, but he pulled up short on me today. So I didn't even bring this up.

I would go for IV treatment but never, never give myself an injection, no matter what. My husband wouldn't do it either. I can barely give my puppies their first shots and my husband can't do it at all.

I've decided to just take the milk thistle for now. I'll be starting several treatments next week and the costs are adding up.

Thanks for all the information.

JoAnn
  16. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Dear annapat,

I was just printing out all the answers to my questions re: glutathione, when I happened to notice your very important note: Do not give Vitamin C when you are doing a glutathione I.V.!

What an important piece of information! All this time my doc has been giving me Meyers with C plus glutathione. The one time that I happened to have the glutathione without the vitamin C was much more successful

I can't thank you enough!

Love,

Jolie
  17. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

from Dr. Salvato in Houston. I did twenty of them, once a week for 20 weeks. My NK cells went up slightly, but I didn't feel all that much better at all. Perhaps an easier less PAINFUL way: free amino acids. When I saw my NK cells go up from the injections I decided there must be another way and tried Nutricology's free amino acids. In a shorter time, my NK cells went up significantly, and more importantly, I felt BETTER. Less weakness and fatigue. I eased up to a total dose of 6 capsules a day. I got big herxing from each increase, so be careful if you try this. Good luck. Diane
  18. Jolie

Jolie New Member

Thank you dlebbole!

I will definitely try the free amino acids!

Love,

Jolie
  19. annepat

annepat New Member

Dr. David Perlmutter has doen lot of work w/glutathione. He is based in FLA.
    anne
  20. annepat

annepat New Member

Dr. David Perlmutter has doen lot of work w/glutathione. He is based in FLA.
    anne

[ advertisement ]