Why are we so med sensitive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

One of the reasons I don't frequent the doctors anymore is because I am so medication sensitive. Before my FM diagnosis, when doctors "couldn't figure out" what was wrong with me, I was thrown so many drugs. ALL of them had to be stopped eventually because of the nasty side effects and with some of them, the immediate bad responses that almost would take me to the ER.

I did finally go to a new rheumatologist and as I posted before, he seemed so disinterested in my FM. He did give me Anaprox DS in high doses, and I figured I would be able to tolerate them because I could take Liquid gel Aleve and it wasn't that bad. Wrong, I had to stop the Anaprox within 4 days because of just not feeling well on them, then the nasty stomach and abdominal pains along with it. I called his office back and spoke with the nurse. She called me back and left a message that the doctor prescribed some kind of muscle relaxer, I can't even pronounce the name. I am so hesitant to take it, it just makes me anxious.

However, I do take CoQ10 (love that one), Vitamin D in low doses, probiotics, magnesium, Omega 3's and MSM for pain. I stopped the MSM, not because of side effects, but it just wasn't working as well as it used to. So, I can take natural supplements, but prescription drugs just do me in. CoQ10 200 milligrams has helped me with fatigue, but not pain.

I didn't even discuss my medication sensitivity with this new doctor just because I am so sick of explaining it, just tired of it, and I don't like the "looks" I get when I try to explain it.

I have been on Zoloft, Elavil, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Voltaren, Zanaflex (muscle relaxer), Vioxx, Bextra (just for one day, hated it), some other drug, can't remember now, had to stop, and now the Anaprox DS. I don't even want to pick up the new med, too scared to try it.

Maybe this is why some doctors find us to be so challenging. In the first 5 minutes you see a doctor, they are already thinking about what kind of drug to put you on, that may not be that difficult or challenging for someone who doesn't have FM, but for us it can be a nightmare.
    Has any doctor ever said WHY this is? I do realize that some of us with FM are on many different pharm drugs, but then why are other FM'ers so sensitive? Just puzzeling to me.

Meanwhile, I need my job, and I can't keep taking new meds just to figure out which one won't make me so sick. I got in trouble with my last job years ago because of leaving work early, or not making it to work because of side effects. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

I think a lot of us have mcs from cytochrome p450 enzyme deficiencies --probly came about from combo of genetic and viral intereaction and also perhaps porphyria