Why are we told it's best to avoid wheat and dairy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Oct 25, 2005.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I was just thinking about this. I keep reading that dairy and wheat should be avoided but I never really get an explanation as to why exactly. Tansy posted abot an interview with a doc (into chemical and environmental sensitivities, I think) called Prof Malcolm Hooper who advocated avoidance of wheat and other gluten-rich grains, and dairy. I do recall this Prof saying thatin his opinion this was one of the best things some one with CFS/ Fibro? environmental sensitivities could do for him or herself. It was a blanket statement: he didn't say that this was only for those with specific intolerances to such foods.

This doc obviously has his reasons for promoting this way of eating but I can't find info anywhere to say why we are supposed to do much better with these foods omitted.

Has any one got any idea as to why these foods are generally bad for us?

If I need to cut these foods I will, but I am on a tight budget. I need only worry about dinners really, cos every night my b/f puts me in the car and takes me to his. he buys and cooks the evening meal but he hates vegetables. he does cook them on my insistence but rarely eats them!

Thanks guys,

Love Shelbo
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

apparently dairy and wheat are prime culprits for food intolerances that cause tiredness etc.

That doesnt mean everyone with CFS has those intolerances. A good way to find out is to cut one out for a few weeks and see if you feel better. When you reintroduce it and you feel bad then you will know you are intolerant of that food.

You can get food intolerance tests but in UK they come in around £250 - too much for my pocket.

I'm considering doing this, again my willpower isnt great especially when I'm in pain.

I read an article, it might have been Prohealth, on a doctor who says that nightshades are bad for us, they intensify the inflammation.

What are nightshades? Potatoes, Peppers of any kind, Blueberries. I live on these foods, onions, peppers are the base of most of my cooking,

I eat blueberries with porridge in the morning and they're supposed to be a super food.????????

It all gets a bit much but I think sugar, dairy and wheat are the biggest culprits.

love
    Rosie
  3. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Shelbo,

Dairy & wheat (gluten) are common food allergens. As are Corn, Soy, Peanuts, & Eggs.

I do better eliminating dairy & wheat from my diet. I have tested positive for milk protein intolerance and soy protein intolerance, but not gluten.

Apparently my body has an immune response (creates antibodies) when I ingest anything with milk or soy protein. I've been avoiding these two items for over 2 years now. Recently I challenged my immune system (thinking that I was doing so much better - I could probably have a little dairy & soy). Over a couple of days I had a little cheese & butter & soy sauce. I ended up with a huge cold sore (caused by herpes virus). I think my immune system was just a little overwhelmed.

Adhereing to an elimination diet is definately a challenge. Almost all processed foods have milk or soy protein. There is an article in the new prohealth online newsletter that explains food intolerances a little more in depth.

My husband who has asthma and arthritis, but not CFS/FM also does better eliminating milk & wheat. His arthritis has improved since I eliminated cooking with nightshades.

Love & Light, Laurie
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi,

I had to look up the comment about blueberries being in the nightshade family..they are one of my favorite foods and I wouldn't ever want to give them up!!!

The foods in the nightshade family includes potato (Solanum tuberosum L.), tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.), eggplant (Solanum melongena L.), tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.), and peppers (Capsicum sp.) of all kinds except the black pepper (family, Piperaceae).

Blueberries are the fruits of a shrub that belong to the heath family, which includes the cranberry and bilberry as well as the azalea, mountain laurel and rhododendron.

So we can eat our favorite super food without worry :)

Vicki

5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I was told to cut them because of IBS.. alot of Fibromites and CFS'ers have IBS problems..
  6. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Shelbo,

To my knowledge, the problem with dairy is that humans digestive systems are just not designed to handle the lactose; hence, why some babies have a lot of colic when given cow's milk. I know I fell into that category, and hence probably started a lot of my problems back when I was an infant.

And to make matters worse is when you start ingesting one percent milk or two percent. Also, to my knowledge, milk is digested better when it's whole milk.

If you haven't looked into the Eat Right for your Blood Type, some people think it's a lot of hooie, but makes a lot of sense to me. Most people with blood type O's are pretty sensitive to a lot of things, dairy and wheat included.

Even though you'll be treated for these things with the NAET, it's my personal opinion, best to avoid them if you can.

I do know one lady though who absolutely could not have any ice cream, would get a severe reaction, and now, after NAET, she can enjoy that occasional treat of ice cream with no problems.

I've given up on dairy. I use almond milk, but do occasionally like to enjoy some chocolate milk, and I do use yogurt, but, again, I use the whole yogurt, not the reduced fat kind. There's something in the cream that makes it more easily digestible.

In regard to the wheat, it's the wheat gluten, which is in a lot of products, most of your breads, pasta, prepared foods. What the wheat gluten does is destroy the villi in your intestines. When they get destroyed, your intestines become very ill and this is why a lot of people have irritable bowel, which is a major symptom of fibro.

I used to have major irritable bowel, which was a lot better after the NAET, but was still having occasional problems. I started using L-Glutamine, which repairs the intestinal wall, and haven't had any problems since, but I still try to avoid wheat gluten, if I can.

Hope this helps.

Sbilek