Why aren't people more excited

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by christina38, Jan 15, 2009.

1. christina38

christina38 New Member

Isn't Savella more exciting to people? I'm so surprised I haven't seen more posts about it.
    Is there something I haven't read about it that makes it bad? I keep looking for more information but can't find much. But when I heard it was approved, I was thrilled.
    So why aren't there more people talking about it?
  2. christina38

christina38 New Member

Thanks for that. I didn't realize the side effects. I just got so excited that there might actually
    be something new that could help. Desperate to believe the "miracle" had arrived.
    I'm in such awful shape I need to believe something is coming that will help.
    I was hoping Savella would be that help.
  3. HanginginNYC

HanginginNYC New Member

I am excited!!! It is supposed to have the not as bad side effects of Lyrica. I would not like to take the chance of gaining 40 to 60 pounds or possibly going bald on Lyrica. These side effects do not sound as bad to me. I will let my doctor know at my next appointment (told her that it was in the final phase the last appointment) and will wait for its release in pharmacies in March, if nothing else that I find can help me in the meantime. Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2009]
  4. cordy250

cordy250 Member

35 years of waiting for that "miracle" have left me pretty sceptical and very reluctant to jump in and try any new medication. I've had too many serious reactions to medications to want to just forge ahead and try every new thing that comes down the pike.

5. dannybex

dannybex Member

...has explained in many posts why most CFS/Fibro patients can't tolerate many drugs. He can explain his theory better than I can, but it has something to do with glutathione depletion.

Glutathione is the main antioxidant that helps our livers detoxify all these chemicals, toxins and drugs.

I know about six people who have recovered anywhere from 70-100%. Two of them did take some antibiotics for a period of time, but they also used mainly alternative docs and focused mainly on rebuilding their immune systems, and worked really hard on NOT PUSHING THEMSELVES. Nothing will work if one keeps overdoing it. And I speak from experience that is embarrassing to admit. If only I could turn the clock back 5-10 years...

Remember, taking a break and resting is FREE! :)

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2009]
  6. dannybex

dannybex Member

from the net:

Savella is contraindicated in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) concomitantly or within 14 days of discontinuing treatment of an MAOI or in patients with uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma.

Development of a potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome may occur with agents that inhibit serotonin reuptake, including Savella, particularly with concomitant use of serotonergic drugs (including triptans and tramadol) and with drugs which impair metabolism of serotonin (including MAOIs). The concomitant use of Savella with serotonin precursors is not recommended.

Blood pressure and heart rate should be monitored prior to initiating treatment with Savella and periodically throughout treatment. SNRIs, including Savella, have been associated with reports of increases in blood pressure and heart rate. Pre-existing hypertension, tachyarrhythmias and other cardiac diseases should be treated before starting therapy with Savella. Savella should be used with caution in patients with significant hypertension or cardiac disease. For patients who experience a sustained increase in blood pressure or heart rate while receiving Savella, either dose reduction or discontinuation should be considered.
    Savella should be prescribed with caution in patients with a history of a seizure disorder, mania or controlled narrow-angle glaucoma.

Savella has been associated with mild elevations of ALT and AST. Rarely, fulminant hepatitis has been reported in patients treated with milnacipran. Savella should be discontinued in patients who develop jaundice or other evidence of liver dysfunction and should not be resumed unless another cause can be established.

Savella should ordinarily not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use or evidence of chronic liver disease.

As with other SNRIs and SSRIs withdrawal symptoms have been observed following discontinuation of milnacipran. A gradual dose reduction is recommended.
    Hyponatremia may occur as a result of treatment with SSRIs and SNRIs, including Savella. Discontinuation should be considered for patients with symptomatic hyponatremia.
    SSRIs and SNRIs, including Savella, may increase the risk of bleeding events.

Patients should be cautioned regarding the risk of bleeding associated with concomitant use of Savella and NSAIDs, aspirin, warfarin or other drugs that affect coagulation.
    Male patients with a history of obstructive uropathies may experience higher rates of genitourinary adverse events.

Savella is unlikely to be involved in clinically significant pharmacokinetic drug interactions. Pharmacodynamic interactions of Savella with other drugs can occur.
    Savella contains FD&C Yellow No. 5, which may cause allergic-type reactions in susceptible persons.

In clinical trials, the most frequently occurring adverse reaction was nausea. The most commonly occurring adverse reactions (greater than or equal to 5% and twice that of placebo) were constipation, hot flush, hyperhidrosis, vomiting, palpitations, heart rate increased, dry mouth, and hypertension.

So, it can cause glaucoma, liver problems, heart problems, bleeding problems, withdrawal problems, blood pressure problems, and even "potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome".

How the anyone working for the drug company or the FDA can put these potentially dangerous drugs on the market and sleep at night is beyond me.

Just my two cents. :)
  7. cordy250

cordy250 Member

on disastrous side effects, I usually choose to stick with the devil that I know. I have lived with this most of my life and have not had any life threatening reactions, except when I took new drugs. I don't do that anymore.

I'm not going to trade fibro for a possible severe reaction. Drugs seem to get on the market even though they know they might kill you. It's one thing if you have a life threatening disease and are grasping at straws to prolong your life. You have to weigh all the factors and make an informed decision.
  8. dannybex

dannybex Member

Totally agree.

Would also like to point out that some people have had good results with anti-fungal drugs or supps for arthritis -- and definitely for FM.

9. christina38

christina38 New Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. It's good to be as informed as possible when it comes to
    any new "cure", and it seems I get more info from this site than I di with my Doctors.
    This is such a helpful place to be.
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

yea, just cus an snri is an snri is an snri
    nuthin new
  11. sherrillynn

sherrillynn New Member

From Forbes: "Cypress shares jump on FDA approval for Savella"
    "It is part of a class of drug called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, which include antidepressants Effexor, Pristiq and Cymbalta."

This comment from an article in a San Diego paper, "Brainstorming brings about Fibromyalgia drug," kind of says it all for me:

"Also of note, Cymbalta and Effexor (and Pristiq) are the same type of drug as Milnacipran, and they are already available in the US. Not sure why this company decided it needed to bring yet another combined SSRI/SNRI to market. Oh wait... "revenue from Savella will likely reach $781 million annually by 2012." Wow, those altruistic guys from Cypruss really tug at the heart strings!"
  12. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

...I hadn't even heard of it, but now that I see it's another SNRI, well, I'm not the least bit excited. Effexor almost put me in a mental hospital 2 years ago. Don't think I'll be trying another.
  13. Well after suffering with fibro for over 30 some yrs and being a guinea pig , spending hrs at the dr, and $$$$$$ and nothing has helped, how can we get excited.
  14. oldwildcat

oldwildcat New Member

I was one of the ones in the III phase of the clinical trial of Millnacipran (Savella). Believe me I had high hopes. The first 3 weeks went smoothly and I knew by the way I was feeling that I was def getting the drug and not the placebo. About the 4th week the heart papitations started with the increase of nausea. Shortly after that I started with the sweats and my face would flush so bad I was embarrased. All of this time I was going for weekly evaluations by a doctor and a team of nurses who took down so much information that an appointment would last sometimes 2 hours. By the 6th week I also started developing these little blisters on my face, hands, finger tips, eyelids and inside my nose and mouth and would have migraines. My 7th week I was having trouble typing because the blisters on my finger tips were causing my skin to peel. All this time I was feeling better from the fibro pain but not enough to out-weigh the side effects. By the 8th week my heart was racing most of the time and when the doctor took my blood pressure it had gone through the roof. He said I could have had a stoke. I was finally pulled out of the study. If they hadn't pulled me I was going to quit...it just wasn't worth it. It took months to get my skin, blood pressure and migraines under control. If any of you decide to try Savella please be careful, especially with your blood pressure. It can really creep up on you. Good luck to those brave enough.