Why big girls SHOULD CRY!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Nov 4, 2002.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Think you're too emotional, maybe even weak, because you tear up easily? Not so, says Jack Katz, PH.D. author of the new book, 'How Emotions Work', who contends that crying is a sign of emotional awareness. "Crying is the body's first step in acknowledging a problem and working to move beyond it," he says. What if you often cry out of joy--say, while listening to music or watching your child take her first steps? Katz chalks that up to an adult worldview: "These types of tears indicate that you've developed a sense of humility, that you realize how grand and awesome life it."

Marilyn :)
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Think you're too emotional, maybe even weak, because you tear up easily? Not so, says Jack Katz, PH.D. author of the new book, 'How Emotions Work', who contends that crying is a sign of emotional awareness. "Crying is the body's first step in acknowledging a problem and working to move beyond it," he says. What if you often cry out of joy--say, while listening to music or watching your child take her first steps? Katz chalks that up to an adult worldview: "These types of tears indicate that you've developed a sense of humility, that you realize how grand and awesome life it."

3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I'm a big time crier. Glad you posted that - I thought I was weird crying at my son's school concerts and football games. Did you read this book or just get that info? Sounds like an interesting book.......I always love to read (except while I'm crying:)
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

in a Women's World magazine. It was just one of those little tidbit things. What you see above is all that there was. I haven't read the book, but it looks interesting! It makes alot of sense. I cry alot too, but also realize how in awe I am of this planet, life, God and many other things. It didn't hit me until about 2 years ago, because before that I was too busy working and raising kids to notice things going on around me. Now I'm like a kid in a candy store! I posted this because there were a couple of other posts on crying easily, etc.... Many times we may cry due to perimenopausal symptoms, or PMS, or depression, or maybe it's just a normal thing to do. In any case, I found it's nothing to be ashamed of.

5. Sorka

Sorka New Member

I have never been a person who thinks crying does any good. Instead of crying over spilled milk. Get a cloth and clean it up. The job is done quicker and you can move on to other things whether they are good or bad.
    take care
    sorka
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I read some study results many months ago, done on tears. Tears from emotions, such as sadness, anger...had stress hormones in them. Tears from peeling onions had no hormones in them. Crying DOES relieve stress and then we feel better. That's why I always feel so darned good after a good cry when I'm feeling so bad!

7. Sorka

Sorka New Member

My grandmother had a lot of them.
    I don't cry often because when I do I end up with a migraine from he double hockey sticks.
    Last forever so I am usually worse off.
    Nothing against it just can't handle it.
    take care
    Sorka