Why bother focusing on 12 trigger points?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I dont' understand why there are 12 trigger points? Doesn't fibro hurt absolutely everywhere?
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Lisette wrote me this on the board last year.

I thought it was such a good summary that I saved it and am pasting it here.

So, Tender points are unique to FMS, and show up in a pattern.

Trigger points can be found in almost anyone. They are the hard lumpy knots that can be caused by stress, overuse or illness. The nerve or muscle or both go into a spasm, and the muscle tightens up around the bothered nerve in a splinting ot guarding effect. The area inside, in the middle then traps cellular debris, toxins, nutrients, and not much can get in or out. The fascia or connective tissue is pulled and stretched as well, and sometimes starts to pull on the attached bones and other muscle groups. OW.

Trigger point therapy is when a massage therapist attempts to release the tightened fascia and the muscle by finding the center of the knot and then pressing down as hard as possible to deprive the muscle of oxygen.

(This hurts all the way from "Ow" with a slight whimper to yell and levitate off the table, depending upon the size and severity of the inflamed nerve.)

The deprivation of oxygen causes the muscle to release and by stretching it immediately afterward, hopefully the nerve will no longer be trapped, and the collected junk can begin to move again. Only a few trigger points should be released at one time, since there is a detoxifying aspect to it. Also, it can flare up pain, so too many at a time would be torturous. The body needs to recover its stasis before more are cleared, or the guarding/protective cycle will start up again.

This is also called Myofascial Release, and many chiros and PTs and osteopaths do this, too. I think by lisence, they can go a little farther into forcing things to happen than a MT, but i don't know that for sure.

Another way to treat them is with Trigger Point injections with something like cortisone. Some have speculated that the needle alone is as effective as the solution. The needling seems to cause the muscle to release in the same way as the pressure from the thumb or instrument. It is very painful, but quicker and longer lasting, and may be more effective. But, did I mention painful?

If the origin of the Trigger points are muscular in nature, such as cramps after sports then those can be released and cleared out fairly easily.

If the trigger points are neurological in origin, with an inflamed nerve starting up the whole thing, and if it keeps coming back, then we're moving into the area of a disease which may have origins in injury, nutritional deficiencies, viruses, or the whole host of things that cause neurological problems.

It's possible that deconditioning of muscles could cause Trps, but remember this is not mean a harbinger of FM, or Myofacial Disease. You probably just have a bunch of knots.

In your case, I don't know that I would recommend doing anything to get rid of the trigger points aggressively at all. I would say, keep your neurological system as calm as possible during this AV time. It's something that you could possibly treat further down the road while you do more detox.

Massage won't get rid of the Trps, but it might help everything feel better, and perhaps releasing one or two of the worst offenders might be okay.
  3. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Thanks for explaining. I thought trigger point therapy was a type of massage
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

A good masseuse could do them. It's cheaper to have a family member or friend do it though. Regular massage takes some work, whereas this just involves finding the knots and pushing hard.
  5. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

sorry if I don't make sense I am in a full fog today! i watched a youtube video last night that gave a ton of great info about this subject. i don't remember the name but it was 5 Dr. talking about FM from all diffrent view points and all Dr from diffrent Universities. it was long but worth it! i fond it by searching Fibro onthe site
  6. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by the neurologist - when I ask him about it he just pushes on two spots on my upper back and I say Ow.

But after researching fibro I found out about trigger points. The only ones that hurt me are the hip trigger points and that is more like being speared by something hot.

So my point is, do we have to have problems with 12 or 18 trigger points in order to be firmly diagnosed? And do they have to be present at the same time? And do they have to be real big huge muscle knots?

I am going for SSDI and don't want the lack of my trigger points to hold me up!

Thanks, Lillie
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Trigger points and tender points are two different things. I think you're talking about tender points.
    They used to say you have to have 11 of the 18 tender points to confirm a diagnosis. I am not sure if that is
    the case anymore.

Think 'tender points' as the "tender" spots on your body.