Why can't I get my breath?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

This happens all of the time. I feel like I am just wanting to take a deep breath so bad, but cannot. It is rare that I can get a deep one in.

What is this? Is this common for FM? It is driving me crazy. Stressed or not, it is almost constant. I want air! Don't get me wrong, it is not like I am hyperventalating or have asthma or anything. Just this constant need for air!!

Anyone know anything about this?

2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks Prickles... probably a dumb question but how do learn how to do that technique?

I pulled up the website and see stuff about classes, but I am sure you learned it from home or here...

Hugs
    Kim
  3. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Kimba, do you have CFS? What illnesses do you have besides FMS? Have you had any studies done?

Kimba, I've been through sleep studies and am on a CPAP machine. My oxygen levels test low when I'm sleeping but not when I'm awake. I just had an oxygen blood gases test (not sure what they call it...they take blood from an artery in your wrist)and my gases were a tiny bit low at 92. I do have sleep apnea, but the CPAP machine is not helping one bit. I still need to BREATHE.

My lung capacity is normal. But I qualify for oxygen at night with levels dropping to 82, even though the tests have not found the cause for it. I don't sleep, I'm fatiqued constantly. I have FMS/CFIDS. My PCP doesn't treat CFIDS. I have to travel 350 miles to my Rheumatologist, and all he can do is try to relieve my symptoms.

I wish I had an answer for you and for myself. Test after test and nothing has helped. I have an appt to have an Echocardiogram, but I'm had them before. I have some slight regurgitation from two valves. Not enough to cause this problem. My PCP couldn't even hear them.

PLEASE, someone help Kimba and me.

Thank you.
    ~~lew
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I used to have this problem. I would be sitting and breathing normallly, but I'd feel like I was drowning just a little bit. It drove me nuts! I've since attributed it too low blood volume and poor oxygen transfer after reading an article by Cheney. Dr. Cheney recommended the following:

a good electrolyte solution 2-4 times a day

magnesium - extra 200-400 mg per day

breathing exercise: inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, exhale through pursed lips creating backpressure for 8 seconds. Repeat 8 times, twice a day. If you get dizzy, stop. It will get easier after awhile. This tricks your body into thinking it's at a higher altitude and you produce more of a chemical that is used to transfer oxygen. It really works!

happy xmas!

karen
  5. grace54

grace54 New Member

I had similar symptoms that were difficult to explain to a Dr. mainly at rest I would notice it. I knew with years of smoking and years of fibro that it might be part of the cause so they checked me out, lung tests, stress heart tests etc. Nothing substantial showed up. I suspected maybe a systemic fungal infection and they blew that off.

So I decided to treat my candida overgrowth as I had tried everything from the FCc's with no improvement. I started threelac and within a few days I would wake up coughing up sputum and I almost never cough up anything.
    On the third week I am slowly clearing my lungs out and I don't have that resting breathing problem.

I know after years of little exercise I am out of shape so I am on the treadmill again and I can see it will take some time to get my breathing better under stress. I just couldn't figure why I would feel oxygen starved sitting in a chair. I also have allergies that produce flem and I notice when I sing it takes a while to clear things out.

I am also receiving allergy shots to help with that. I have read of severe allergies with yeast overgrowth so maybe I am on the right track, will keep updating. Peace