Why can't I get pain meds. that work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I currently take a generic anti. inflamatory medication to help with my pain.My orthopedic dr. gave it to me to treat my bursitis. It helps with joint pain but does not get rid of my total body pain. My rehuemy. will not give out strong drugs to control pain. I have seen on the board that some use hydocodine or vicodin.I wonder why my reheumy. won't give me these drugs. I saw her last week and she check my pressure points again. The pain was unreal. She offered drugs like neurotin and ultram but I have had them before and they did nothing for my pain. I am starting to wonder if she is the right dr. for me due to the fact she will not treat my pain. How do others get stronger pain meds. and my dr. won't even give them out? She rarely does I was told by her nurse. Pain is pain and it should be treated.

Tired of pain.

2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

barely ever give out strong pain meds I think most here get them from their primary doc I have gotten opiods from my back doc and now I am on methadone (tried everything else) from my primary

I think the rhuem is the wrong place to look-Kim
  3. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

I would seek out a different doctor. My rheumy understands the pain of Fibro and other autoimmune diseases and she offers anything that might help control the pain/discomfort. We tried several different pain meds like Vicodin, Darvocet, etc and nothing worked until I tried
    "Vicoprofen"..BAMMO!!! I took a tiny piece everyday and it helped me regain my life back, it even helped with my fatigue. I didnt abuse it either though.
  4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i understand your frustration.

i went for almost a year not getting any kind of pain relief.

finally i just asked why i couldn't try something stronger, and was given 2 5mg vicodan/day. not alot, but i was thrilled to get the bit of pain relief i did.

i was recently raised to 3 7.5 lortabs/day, which still doesn't take it away, but is better than nothing.

have you tried your PCP? maybe they can give you a referral to pain management doctor?

i'm going to one tomorrow, and am hoping for this does the trick.

it really stinks to be in pain all the time, i feel for you.

unfortunately, it often takes us (people with FM), a long time to find the relief we need.

if this docttr isn't doing it, then you need to keep on searching, don't give up!

i just happened to get lucky. the doctor i was seeing just happened to be running late one day, and i was asked if i wanted to see the nurse practioner instead. it turned out she was much more knowledgeable and sympethetic to my condition.

best wishes to you, i hope your search ends soon.<3