Why can't I sleep..............?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KristyW, May 6, 2003.

1. KristyW

KristyW New Member

Ugh! I am so tired. Usually i can sleep a couple hours a night, without waking up. Lately i can not sleep more that 45 minutes before waking up, then i can't fall back asleep. I am sooooooooo tired, i feel like i could go insane. I do not like to take alot of pills. Does anyone know of any natural remedy for my problem?

Does anyone else feel worse in the summer too? Usually around this time of the year until late September i am the worse. The humidity kills me. Everything hurts so bad. I don't understand if it's just the humidity or something else. Anyone have any info. on this?

Please Help!

Kristy
  2. bejo

bejo New Member

I wouldn't sleep without meds.I don't know any natural remedies,but someone here might.My sleep problem was that I couldn't go to sleep.Once I got to sleep I stayed asleep.Lack of sleep makes all the other symptems worse too,but I don't notice any difference in my pain between winter or summer.Sorry I couldn't help you.(((()))) bejo
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Have you tried delta wave sleep inducing tapes?? I have ordered some for Mother's Day for myself. Hope they work. Has anyone tried these (at least there are no side effects) I have stopped taking prescription medicine and now I only take vitamins.
    I hope the tapes will work and I won't have to go back to taking medication.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You sound like I did a year ago! Heres what I take to sleep, and it does work.

ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6).

I also take Melatonin to help me fall asleep.

I do take a low dose Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm to calm my racing brain problem.

But untill I started the ZMA last year, the other two did not really keep me sleeping for long periods. I now sleep at least 7=8 hours a night as opposed to waking up 10 or more times a night and not being able to go back to sleep.

You can read about the ZMA and Melatonin on the 'Store' link, and see what you think. Pro Health also sells both supplements.

Last night was the first time in a year that I did not sleep well. But I do have some heavy stuff on my mind right now, so I can't blame anything but my own problems for this.

Hope you find what helps you, its awful when you can't sleep.

Shalom, Shirl

5. coyote

coyote New Member

You can't sleep because you have a sleep disorder.
    I would not be able to sleep without meds. It is important to your overall health and safety to get some restful sleep. Talk with your doctor about it. Try the previous advice here that people suggested.
  6. mariedazz

mariedazz New Member

Kristy,
    I'd recommend you talk to your doctor also. I take 25 milligrams of Doxepin every night and it helps. Also Flexeril, a muscle relaxant is also useful. Melatonin too. There are lots of options and you should be able to get relief. Good luck, mariedazz
  7. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I have had trouble sleeping forever and have had to reduce my hours at work due to this. You might be one of the lucky ones who respond to the natural stuff such as shirl recommended- she and many others swear by the ZMA! I had to resort to a drug Jellybelly told me about called Elavil. I take 50mgs per night. In higher doses it is an antideppresand and can cause weight gain in some. I have not noticed this yet as I am really watching it. It took about 2 months for me to play around with the dose to get it to work but now I sleep!!!! I really feel for you sweetie I can so relate. Keep trying and asking questions.
    Judy
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

I tried this two years ago but it had almost the opposite effect on me.

Just couldn't get to sleep at all but body felt refreshed, I do relax in bed even when unable to sleep.

Has anybody else had this completely opposite response to using melatonin?

Cheers

Tansy
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That is strange that Melatonin has the opposite effect on you all.

Melatonin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pineal gland. When people are young, the body produces this hormone in abundance. But as we get older the production of this hormone begins to drop, and continues to decline steadily as we age.

Thats why I don't understand how it could have an opposite effect on anyone. But, we are strange creatures with these illnesses!

Have you tried another brand?, could be the brand you are taking. The best I have found is put out by Twinlab, or Pro Health's brand. I use both with no problems.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. dumas

dumas New Member

My daughter is on 6mg of Melatonin a night and without it her energy levels would be so much worse and her condition would be worsening. Since taking this natural rememdy, her sleep is 100% improved and she is more able to cope with everything. We were perscribed a different make of Melatonin by her paedeatrian, which was doing nothing for her and she started to deteriate again, so we went back on the ones we were getting from the states and she is climbing back up again. I don't know why a different kind of Melatonin can work better or not, but it seems to be the case for us. It is our hero.

11. KristyW

KristyW New Member

I have tried Elavil and have been on Flexeril. The problem with me is that pills have the opposite effect on me too. Everything that i take either makes me grogy or i can not sleep for the life of me. I appreciate all of the suggestions and will look into them. Thanks alot

KristyW
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

It's not just melatonin, diazepam prescribed as a muscle relaxant was no good either.

I've always gone through patches where sedating meds have no effect a all, this includes muscle relaxants and sleep meds. Sometimes they feel more like stimulants.

I always tell people it's just my loopy brain that causes so many problems, perhaps this description is more accurate than they realise.

Having read Mikie's and Shirl's comments on ZMA on this board I'm going to give that a try now. Have been taking magnesium, zinc and b6 in their supposedly best absorbed forms but perhaps they were not quite right for the results I've been trying to achieve.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  13. Myth

Myth New Member

I know what you mean, it is drives me nuts too. The problem lies with our inability to maintain stage four sleep. I also wake up numerous times and have difficulty falling back to sleep as well as having a hard time falling alsleep.
    Doctors try to put me on antidepressants such as Elavil to increase my quality of sleep. I find they do not work- and also make me feel drugged all day (fibrofog times ten!).
    If your lucky your doctor will put you on sleeping pills, but usually not for long periods of time.
    Natural remedies you might give a try are: Chamomile, passionflower, Valarian root and Hops. The best ones are Valarian root and Hops combined.
    Hope this helps!
    Myth
  14. bakron

bakron New Member

Some research has found that FMS patients fall asleep, but their deep level (or “stage 4”) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of “awake-like” brain activity. The alterations in the neurotransmitter regulation (particularly serotonin and norepinephrine, and substance P) cause problems with sleep, pain and immune system function. So, your physician may prescribe medicines that boost levels of those neurotransmitters. The types of medicines that help with neurotransmission include some antidepressants, and some anti-seizure drugs. (They are not necessarily given because doctors think that FMS people have “mental health” problems. The drugs act in a very real way to slow down the brain activity and help us get some good sleep.

Some of the drugs that help include: Elavil, Flexeril, Sinequan, Paxil, Serzone, Xanax and Klonopin. Also, anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen may help, as might PT, acupuncture, relaxation techniques, osteopathic manipulation, chiropractic care, therapeutic massage, or mild/gentle exercise. FMS people may also have a sleep disorder called the “alpha-EEG anomaly,” or possibly other sleep disorders, such as “sleep myoclonus” or “PLMS” (nighttime jerking of the arms and legs), “restless leg syndrome” and “bruxism” (teeth grinding).

I think that the more we learn about the possible causes of and treatments for FMS and how the treatments relate to the studies about the causes, etc., the better choices we are able to make about what to try. That is what is so great about the boards. People are posting what helps or doesn’t help them.
  15. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

The three above have been the most successful for me, but we all may have differences that don't make us react the same way to drugs..but you have been given some good alternatives..to see what helps you...

GABA is an amino acid supplement which calms the nervous system, Zanaflex is a muscle relaxant (which has no "hangover effect for me) and Ambien is very effective for short term use only or you may develop tolerance and then is not effective.

Hope you find your best solutions, soon, as it is really irritating to have insomnia that worsens the symptoms to the nth degree..

~~Amelia~~
  16. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Right now I'm on 300 mg. of Neurontin and 25 mg. of Trazadone. I don't know if I could sleep without these meds. Between racing brain and restless leg syndrome, I'd be up all night. I just wanted to let you know what works for me. I hope you find the right combination of meds to help you sleep!

Annette2