Why Copyright Rules Are Important

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are not allowed to reproduce material here found on other websites or from other sources unless we cite the source and get permission from the entity or person which owns the rights to that material, or holds the copyright. Some members have questioned why this rule is so important and why it isn't enforced on other websites. ProHealth cannot control what is allowed on other websites but attempts to comply with copyright laws here for the protection of members and ProHealth.

Many may not know that we all came very close recently to losing free access to the internet due to rampant breaking of copyright laws. Congress drafted two bills restricting free access to the internet. Wikipedia, and several other sites, closed down for a day in protest. Those who believe in free access wrote to their representatives in protest as well. Congress did not act on the bills--for the time being.

The major infringement of copyrights comes in the illegal downloading, and sharing, of music files but holders of written copyrights are being infringed upon as well. Any sharing of copyrighted sporting events, art, music or intellectual material, without the written consent of the copyright holder, is illegal and subject to fines. You may have heard this at the end of any sporting event on TV.

We are all affected if Congress decides to go ahead with bills to protect copyright laws by restricting free access to the internet. ProHealth provides this website to help us share information but is responsible for upholding copyright laws in order to be able to continue providing us this wonderful asset. We are all being asked to do our part to keep what we post here legal. If there are any questions, please reread the rules to which we all agreed when we registered here. Or, if there is still a question, e-mail us to ask.

We can post any articles we find on the ProHealth website, including in the Library. We can also post anything in the public domain (meaning from any website ending in .gov). We cannot post anything found on other websites, including posts in other forums, without citing the source of the information, getting permission to reproduce it, and stating in our posts that we obtained permission to reproduce.

It is OK to post, in our own words, the gist of something we read. What is not OK is to reproduce material verbatim without going through the above steps. I hope this helps clarify things and explains why following copyright laws is so very important, especially at this time. None of us wants to lose our free access to the internet.

Thank you all so very much for your cooperation in keeping things legal here.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You may always post the name of a book you are referencing. It is only when one quotes authors' words verbatim that it violates copyrights. I often refer members to Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA." It is a complete book on the Guai treatment. I often post, in my own words, many of Dr. A's ideas and suggestions from the book.

I think if we are ever tempted to cut and paste something, we need to stop and ask if we are able to do so legally. It's at that first step when we can decide whether we should post. Most of the time, we cannot do it legally without permission unless, as I mentioned, it's something from this website or from a .gov website.

Again, hope this helps to clarify things. I know it's not easy to understand just what is OK and what isn't. That's why I decided to post this. Most significantly, I wanted our members to understand the importance of protecting our rights to free access. That's what it's all about and it's really vital to future free access.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad if this helps clarify things. For years, we thought nothing of copying and pasting to share info. For several years, it has become a really hot issue for artists and authors. I don't blame them for being upset over others' use of their property without compensation or credit. The larger problem is piracy of their material for profit and this is what has led to attempts to enact laws to restrict this practice. Unfortunately, they tried to cast too wide a net and we are all getting caught up in it. I hope congress can find a way to go after the pirates while leaving us alone to continue free access to the net for nonprofit purposes.

In the meantime, the best way we can help is not to break copyright laws. I wish to thank everyone who is helping in this effort.

Love, Mikie
  4. misskoji

misskoji Member

Thank you! :)
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In case anyone missed it. Thanks to everyone who is helping us stay legal.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator