Why did Candidase eliminate my fruit cravings in < a week ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by xchocoholic, Jul 3, 2008.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I started taking Candidase a few days ago to kill any candida that I might have left.

I don't have any "definitive" symptoms, but a freind of mine talked me into making sure I had this under control.

Can't hurt to make sure, right ?

I bought a 42 capsule bottle and the plan is to take 6 a day until they run out. I took 1 a day for a few days to make sure it didn't upset my stomach.

And then started with 2 every 6 - 8 hours on Sunday making sure I gave myself 2 hours before and 2 hours after eating.

I have slow digestion sometimes so I wanted to be extra careful. If you take these too close to a meal it will work on the food and not the yeast.

I haven't noticed any symptoms except for some body odor. Which could just be from the supplements themselves.

On the upside, I stopped craving fruit within the first couple of days of taking 6 a day. And started craving veggies. : )

(Added 7/5 ... I haven't had any fruit since Monday. It doesn't even sound good.)

I had been eating 1/4 - 1/2 lb of grapes and 2 oranges day. Plus some honey ... No sugar or grains though. I had some strong cravings for fruit though.

I've been on the Paleo diet (no grains) since November 2007 so I'm assuming this helped with my yeast too. But, I really don't know.

I chose Candidase because I'd already eaten enough coconut to kill anything caprylic acid (derived from coconut) was going to kill. And I've been taking raw garlic and Pau D'arco since 2005.

And I like this company. They make GlutenEase and Digest Gold, both of which I can handle.

This method of killing yeast is interesting. They use digestive enzymes to attack the cell walls of the yeast.

Here's what they say ...

http://www.enzymedica.com/products/Candidase

Quote:

Three Reasons Why Enzymes May Help With Candida Yeast Overgrowth

In individuals with yeast overgrowth there is often a large amount of undigested fiber in the large intestine.

It is believed that the mucous that the body naturally produces due to the difficulty of digesting this fiber (cellulose) may protect the yeast overgrowth from our body's natural overgrowth prevention mechanisms.

Cellulase is the enzyme that breaks down fiber. It is also the only digestive enzyme our body does not make. By adding cellulase to the diet this fiber can be removed along with the mucous and our body is able to achieve balance.

Fungi is a group of organisms formerly regarded as plants lacking chlorophyll.

They can either exist as single cells or make up a multi-cellular body called a mycelium, which consists of filaments known as hyphae.

The cell contains some fungal cellulose or a compound called chitin. Chitin is a polysaccharide, or carbohydrate, which is structurally very similar to cellulose.

For the same reasons cellulase may help remove undigested fiber in the colon, it has been used in breaking down this cellulose-like chitin.*

The inside of the cell of yeast is mostly protein. The enzyme protease has the ability to hydrolyze (digest) protein.

Protease has been used in clinics all over the world to break down this fungus and prevent its overgrowth. The addition of protease to this formula helps prevent "die-off".

End of quote ...

I was wondering if anyone here had tried this. I only have 2 days left of this treatment and I was thinking I should be noticing some sort of die-off reaction by now ...

Thanks ... Marcia

Ps. I'm thinking that maybe if we take these it could help us get over our other sugar cravings too.

Possibly this and some GlutenEase (digestive enzyme for gluten and dairy) could help those trying to go GFCF, but having trouble with the withdrawals ...

PPS. Sorry this is sooo long. I can be quite chatty ... : )

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Marcia!

I'm so happy for you! That is great!

I've been taking Candidase for 21 months now. I love it.

Now I take a smaller, maintenance dose that keeps Candida from being a problem for me. At first I did get a Herx from the enzymes. It lasted a week or two.

I also take Virastop. I find that if something bad is going on in my digestive system, like possible food poisoning or detoxing too quickly, taking a Candidase and a Virastop together will always give me relief.

Just so you know, any kind of detoxing seems to cause body odor at times.

Love,
    Forebearance
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks. How long did you take the Candidase at full strength ? I'm thinking since I'm not reacting very strongly, that this short term treatment may be enough. I don't mind doing it for awhile longer if it might help something else though.

Most supplements may me smelly. Good to know it's just a detox.

Thanks for the tip on Virastop. I'm learning so much about how enzymes affect our health. I googled Virastop and found this .. not that I understand it all, but here is the scoop on Virastop (Protease).

Quote:

Enzymedica Virastop™
    Virastop™ - 60 Caps & 120 Caps
    This product helps digest protein and supports immune function.

Protease is able to dissolve almost all proteins as long as they are not components of living cells. Viruses are cell parasites consisting of nucleic acids covered by a protein film. Parasites, fungal forms and bacteria are made up of protein.

Virastop contains eight different proteases which can break down undigested protein, cellular debris, and toxins in the blood, sparing the immune system this task. The immune system can then concentrate its full action on the invasion.

Virastop™ Protease Enzymes Supplement

Protease Enzyme Supplement Virastop™ recommended usage provides you with 150,000 units of activity. This formulation is used to optimize the amount of protease absorbed into the bloodstream to break down the protein invaders which are not part of the natural body. The results of Virastop™ have been seen in the blood within ten minutes after ingestion whether there was food in the stomach or not.

Virastop™ may also be taken with DIGEST™ or DIGEST GOLD™ at a meal if animal protein is eaten. DIGEST™ contains a large amount of protease however, if protein digestive problems are present and red meat remains in the diet, the following may be a safeguard to do no further harm.

Take 2 Virastop™ capsules with 3 DIGEST™ or 1 DIGEST GOLD™. Virastop™ is also good for chronic constipation.

The Virastop™ formulation is based on the needs of the individual and not on the individual's size or weight.

Children may safely take Virastop™. It can be taken out of the capsule and mixed with liquid for easier ingestion.

Oral proteases taken on an empty stomach have been shown to be absorbed and carried into the blood stream where they are bound to alpha 2-macroglobulin.

Several studies have indicated that oral proteases bound to the macroglobulins hydrolyze immune complexes, proteinaceous debris, damaged proteins, and acute phase plasma proteins in the blood stream.

It is suggested that oral proteases may help hydrolyze and remove extracellular proteins damaged by free radicals.

This is based on the absorbability of the protease into the circulatory system, their hydrolytic activity and ability to remove proteinaceous debris in blood and extracellular fluid, and their susceptibility due to their unfolding and other conformational modifications from their native state.

End of Quote :

Take care .. Marcia

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

This is interesting. I googled this and found that Virastop has this too. Have you tried the Virastop ? And do you prefer serrapeptase ? I still get FM pain at least 50% of the time.

Here's the link for info on serratio peptisade / serrapeptase.
    http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussionserratiopeptidase.htm

This enzyme would've come in handy when I first went Paleo and had those withdrawals. I went on the Paleo diet because of chronic hypoglycemia. The diet definetely helped. My GTT (glucose tolerance test) came back normal in April, but this enzyme appears to be helping me even more. I'm not having to eat every 2 - 3 hours.

It might be a good idea for anyone eating raw foods to take the virastop + candidase just in case they are exposed to food poisoning. I'm sorry to hear you get that a lot. Ow.

I have to look up nattokinase and fibrinogen still. I wouldn't take a chance of having a stroke either.

Speaking of anaerobic problems (this is oxidative stress, right? ) isn't PEM (post exertional malaise) caused by oxidative stress.

And according to John Hopkins, PEM is caused by OI(orthostatic intolerance). I have the link for John Hopkins OI/NMH/POTS in an OI thread here somewhere.

I've been salt loading for OI since May, but I'm still struggling with OI and PEM. I still have to lay down flat for an hour every few hours to feel good again.

Maybe I should stick with the Candidase for awhile longer just in case yeast in playing a role in my PEM.

Just thinkin ... Marcia

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Marcia,

Well, I never take anything at full strength! lol
    I am super sensitive to many drugs and supplements, so I am very cautious with them. I think I was taking 1 Candidase capsule a day for the first several months. I worked up to that amount, though. It was plenty strong for me.

I bet you are right that a short term treatment may be enough for you. The difference between you and me is that I eat sugar and refined carbs. So continually taking Candidase keeps the Candida down to a dull roar for me. (It was never a huge problem.)

Oh, I see Enzymedica has posted new info about Virastop on their website. Cool!

I researched protease enzymes before I began taking Virastop. I learned that there are hundreds of different proteases. Each manufacturer puts their own special blend into their capsules. They don't like to say every single enzyme that's in there, in order to keep their formula secret. So for some of the ingredients they use the broad category "Protease".

Also because of the different formulas, the different brands can be quite different in effectiveness. I really like Enzymedica's stuff.

Although I think that Cellulase is Cellulase, so brands don't matter so much with that.

I do also take the Virastop on an empty stomach, just like the Candidase. Unless I'm using them to treat a stomach problem, in which case I don't care!

Yes, the enzymestuff website is great!

Hey, Kelly!

I'm so happy you're getting back to taking some of the supps that really help you.

I'm glad you're careful about your stomach, since you've had bad reactions in the past to strong proteases. Maybe you could open a Virastop capsule and dump out some of the contents.

I did that when I first began taking it, because I could only handle half a capsule. It gave me a big Herx.

Love,
    Forebearance

6. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I think you really need some betaine hcl with the enzymes. It's almost certain you don't have enough stomach acid which you have to have to break down fats and proteins. If they get to the intestines where the enzymes take effect, I don't know if the enzymes are going to be of much help since they aren't already broken down by the acid. The acid also kills pathogens in the food before it gets to the intestines.

You are going to need the proteins and fats for all kinds of things (blood sugar regulation, hormones, to make repairs, etc.) and if they aren't broken down properly, they end up causing more problems and your body can't use them properly anyway.

If you're doing all of these good things and still having problems with digestion, you really need to try some betaine hcl. You can't absorb certain things without it, like iron, copper and zinc. And you need zinc to make stomach acid. So you've probably fallen in the vicious cycle that prevents you from making stomach acid. It was one of the first things the doc put me on. He said start with two 700 mg betaine hcl pills with meals containing fats and proteins and increase by one every other day until I experience discomfort or burning. Then back off. So I'm up to 3 or 4 with every meal, depending on how big the meal is.

And when I have a snack with raw nuts, I just take one. If you don't break down the fats and proteins with the acid first, they hit the liver really hard and overload it AND the kidneys with undigested food particles. This is very hard on the body and causes fatigue and a lot of our symptoms. Don't dismiss betaine hcl as something you don't need. Virtually all of us need it until we reverse the digestive problems we all have.

Enzymes are great and necessary for many things, especially inflammation, which is also a common problem for all of us. But they can't break down fats and proteins by themselves.

Are you sure it's possible to kill off the yeast while consuming so much sugar like even from fruit? I don't think it is. I'm not allowed to have any, still.

I was using the candex and still eating carbs and fruit. And I know I got rid of most of the yeast in my blood because I could tell my liver was functioning better and I felt better - many of the yeast symptoms cleared up. But then when I did the stool analysis, it showed the guts were full of yeast, 3 different kinds including candida. I think you should lay off all carbs and kill it off there, first, or it will just keep coming back. I did the candex stuff and the garlic for months. But apparently, I wasn't killing it where it was growing. Then 2 months later, my stool analysis showed the yeast was gone and no longer a problem. But there's still other bad bacteria I need to worry about.

So even after the yeast was gone, I'm still not allowed any carbs like fruit. If you haven't had mega improvements or you're at a standstill, consider the betaine hcl and excluding fruit for awhile.
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi there,

Do you why your stomach burns from high dose protein busters ?

I took my first Virastop about 15 minutes ago and am waiting to see if I have any reaction.

That's great that you don't have so much FM pain. I'm still not up on a lot of the terms used here, like substance P.

NSAIDS kill me too. Actaully, my biopsy results for celiac stated that my damage was either due to NSAIDS or healing celiac disease. I would assume that means they can't really tell the difference since NSAIDS damage villi too.

My FM pain was unbearable for the first few years and now it just comes and goes. I never take meds though. Although I'm planning on trying the serrapeptase for it at some point. Or maybe the Virastop has enough of this to help ...

That's interesting that you don't have OI and yet laying down for an hour makes you feel better too. The salt loading is keeping my BP up so I'm not sure I have OI now either. Except that I still have the symptoms of OI.

Did you have a cardio workup ? My EKG is abnormal. I was tested and they just found a mild Left Bundle Branch Block. I read up on this and found that this just means my ticker is off. The electical part that keeps the beat ...

Anyways, Gluten has been shown to damage the Perkinje cells in the brain and I'm assuming it can damage the Perkinje cells in the heart too. The Perkinje cells in the heart are what keeps our tickers working properly. Just my theory. I haven't seen this anywhere yet.

I'm still looking for info on oxidative stress. I'm just thinking it has to be either PEM from OI or the heart ... Or maybe the lungs. We need the oxygen too.

If I'd known I was going to be this sick one day, I'd have paid more attention in my science classes.

T C Marcia
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi There,

I'm too chicken to take thing full strength too. I go really slow at first. I just hope this Virastop doesn't nail me today ...

That's great that you can control your yeast without going on the diet. Maybe that will work for my DD too. She really doesn't want to go on this diet and she has major food allergies.

I need to learn more about enzymes. I've researched the enzyme stuff before too, but it was a long time ago and that infos long gone now ...

I saw your thread and hope you get your mold problem resolved. I can't stand mold either, but I don't have as much as you do to deal with. I avoid it as much as possible. Books seem to be the worst ...

Take care ... Marcia
  9. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi there,

I'm glad you found this thread informative. We (patients) have so much to learn here ...

Take Care ... Marcia
  10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hey there,

Thanks for posting the info on acids and enzymes here. I think we need to know as much as possible about digestion.

I think I'm ok with acid. I took Rich's test and burped like I should've.

I forgot to mention so I added into the first post here that I gave up fruit on Monday. I'm just not interested in it anymore.

Before I forget, be careful with nuts ... They are high oxalate and oxalates are thought to be responsible for FM, kidney stones, mitochondria problems, vulvodynia, etc. I found out the hard way about kidney stones.

From what my GP told me though if you take a calcium supplement or eat something with calcium when you eat anything that has oxalates, the calcium will bind with the oxalate in the gut and leave the body through "natural" means. Otherwise, oxalates will bind to calcium in your blood stream.

Good luck with your dysbiosis protocal. I'd love to be able to afford it, but I'll just have to stick to figuring things out on my own ...

Take care ... Marcia
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you for the good wishes, Marcia! I appreciate it!

For what it's worth, the first time I took a Virastop it made my pain go away for a couple hours. I was ecstatic. I hope something good will happen to you.

Love,
    Forebearance
  12. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Well this one hasn't been so easy on me. I was sooo sleepy all afternoon yesterday after taking it and today I've spent the day on the throne.

I plan on taking it again around 5 though. May as well let it do it's job ...

It's not causing any cramps, just "D", so that might be a good thing ...

Oh, I bought another bottle of Candidase and will continue with it for one more week just to be sure I'm candida free.

Marcia (a little thinner) ; )

13. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I had the Genova stool test for candida a year and half ago. I had the max score for it. We fought it with nystatin, berberine, other herbs and a very low carb diet.

I just had the test again and my candida is the lowest number - one.

I've been taking Candex, which is enzymes, as a maintenance routine and it appears to have worked well. I'm glad to see others like enzymes as well.

14. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I really have to look that one up. I gather it's an enzyme too though.

I'm happy to see that you are over your candida. You went through a lot to get rid of it.

I looked at your profile and saw that you have chronic pelvic pain and kidney stones and was wondering if you know about the low oxalate diet. It treats both.

I have those too. I actually just gave up the high oxalate foods I was eating and haven't even totally learned how many oxalates other foods have. It's only been 2 - 3 months so I don't know if it's helping ...

Forebearance,

I'm happy to hear that your pain went away so quickly with the Virastop. I'm hoping mine does too ... I still have it today, but it's been a rough day ...

Anyone ...

I was thinking ... Does the fact that my cravings are gone just mean that I don't have candida in my gut, but I can still have it in other places ???????????

I'm thinking I should continue to treat for awhile since I have a history of candida ...

Marcia

I just found this website and they recommend going on a 4 month candida treatment. They seem to know all about candida treatments ...

http://www.womentowomen.com/digestionandgihealth/candida.aspx
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2008]
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow, Marcia, it sounds like the Virastop is doing something! For me the symptom of sleepiness is usually a good sign that the thing I'm taking is good for me.

Maybe there is something in your gut that is being killed or cleaned out. I hope you don't let the D get too intense!

Is thinner a good thing for you? It would be for me.

Love,
    Forebearance
  16. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

HI there,

I could stand to lose some belly fat and some cellulite on my thighs, but I'm actually a good weight. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. I run 114 - 120 normally so as long as I don't get under 114, I'm ok. I'll be sure to let you all know if this eliminates cellulite .. now that would be nice !!! : )

My stomach is upset this morning and I'm a little jittery but I slept like a log. My sleep has changed and I'm starting to have "entertaining" dreams again. Nothing to write about though ... ; )

I was thinking that since my skin was smelly I was getting the candida out of my skin at least. Not sure how to tell if it's out of my major organs though. I'm hoping this will help my energy level ...

The above site said to do this diet for 4 months, but I've been at this off and on in various ways for 3 years and I'm hoping that made a difference. All this time partially treating certainly didn't stop me from getting horrific fruit cravings though.

I need to find out if the lack of cravings is enough to say I'm done or am I just half done ....

How often do you take the Virastop ? And how much do you take ? And did you get this kind of reaction too ?

Marcia

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  17. Is Candidase a prescription or over the counter? I scanned the posts as they are so long and fibrofog here. I really need to stop the sweet cravings myself big time.
  18. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi Butterfly,

You can find these at most HFS or online. They're just supplements.

I saw some others here talk about using Candex, but I'm not familiar with it and I'm doing well with Enzymedica's stuff.

HTH ... Marcia

PS. Depending on your current level of candida, you may want to go slow on this. I've been working on my candida for 3 years, so I'm assuming mine was pretty low.

It can't hurt to change your diet to a low carb / candida, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's necessary. Some appear to get by without it .. [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  19. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I was shakey when I first got up, but I felt great this morning after I ate. But, I've felt completely healthy off and on as I long as I pace myself for a year now though.

I've been the energizer bunny and vacuumed 1/2 of my condo upstairs and down. I keep taking breaks just so I don't overdo it. My muscles aren't even getting fatigued.

The colon cleansing yesterday probably helped because ever since getting sick in 1990, I've felt better after a day of that. Then once I started eating again I'd get run down again.

Soooo, I've decided since I'm not having much of a reaction to all of this to do a colon flush and then take these.

We know enzymes work better at attacking toxins outside of the digestive tract if the digestive tract is empty.

I've had a some epsom salt in water to start this about 30 minutes ago and will take these as soon as I'm clean.

I may live to regret this ... LOL ... Marcia

PS. I feel so sticky and oily from this ... Anyone else get that ?
  20. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Marcia,

I could believe that you are getting some Candida out of your skin. It sounds like what I've heard other people say.

I started out with half a capsule of Virastop, once a week. I worked up to one whole capsule a day. It took me several months to work up to it. Then eventually I backed off to one every other day as a maintenance dose. Now I have been really slacking off because of concentrating on toxin removal. I've been taking one a week again!

The Virastop did get things moving when I took it with the Candidase for digestive problems.

Usually it makes me feel more tired, which I know is a sign that my immune system is working a little harder. I suspect that it affects me just like an anti-viral drug would, except in a milder way. I was more tired, but it was bearable.

I think an antiviral drug would be too harsh for me.

After I had been taking Virastop for a month, I felt a war starting. Many viruses, like the common cold, leave through the nose. It felt like a really, really bad head cold. Then whatever it was got kicked out. Who knows what I had living in me, but I'm glad it is gone.

Something like that might happen to you sooner, if you take larger amounts of V. more quickly. Or it could be that your major war zone is your digestive system.

I'm all in favor of evicting unwanted tenants in my body, wherever they happen to be living.

Hey, I'm in my 21st month of taking Virastop! woo hoo!

The one time my stomach got upset from taking Virastop was when I forgot to drink a whole glass of water with it. It does require a full glass of water. (Just like aspirin or Motrin or etc.)

That is wonderful that you slept well, Marcia! Cool! Having dreams is supposed to be a sign that you are getting the deep stages of sleep, which are very good for healing.

I hope things continue to improve for you!

Love,
    Forebearance