Why do docs hate Soma, Xanax & Oxy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Nov 8, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

Every time I go to a doc besides my PCP the Doc is litterally horrfied when he sees what I am taking. Even my Sis, a hospice nurse came doen on me..the one person I thought would understand. She said "I can't even get Oxy for my cancer patients in pain"! How can you get it for something like fibro?
    I hate pills...I take only what I need, when I need it. I take 1/2 a soma & a magnsium at night to help me sleep. I may go a week without andy xanax...Only when I feel an explosion coming on do I take it.
    What is so bad? I know they can be addicting/dependant, But I am very careful.
    It's really degrading the way they shake their head and look at you like your trash.
    I told the doc yesterday, I managed without meds for 15 years...I am worn out & suicidal. You find vitamins/herbs that take the pain and anxiety away & I'll switch. Until then, If you take my oxy & xanax I will be dead within the year. I can't take the pain anymore.
    I'm tired of defending myself...I don't have the energy
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

Every time I go to a doc besides my PCP the Doc is litterally horrfied when he sees what I am taking. Even my Sis, a hospice nurse came doen on me..the one person I thought would understand. She said "I can't even get Oxy for my cancer patients in pain"! How can you get it for something like fibro?
    I hate pills...I take only what I need, when I need it. I take 1/2 a soma & a magnsium at night to help me sleep. I may go a week without andy xanax...Only when I feel an explosion coming on do I take it.
    What is so bad? I know they can be addicting/dependant, But I am very careful.
    It's really degrading the way they shake their head and look at you like your trash.
    I told the doc yesterday, I managed without meds for 15 years...I am worn out & suicidal. You find vitamins/herbs that take the pain and anxiety away & I'll switch. Until then, If you take my oxy & xanax I will be dead within the year. I can't take the pain anymore.
    I'm tired of defending myself...I don't have the energy
    Achy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

From how you say you take your meds, I don't see a problem at all. Some people do abuse the very ones you are taking.

I only take a low dose(0.25mg.) of Xanax at 6pm for my 'racing' brain, then I take ZMA(zinc,magnesium, and B-6) at 10pm and a 3mg. Melatonin right before bed to sleep. This is the only thing I have ever found that helps me to sleep deeply (the ZMA), but I need the three in combination.

I will take Xanax if I know I am going to be in a stressful situation, or feel an anxiety attack coming on, which does not happen often.

The other two I don't take, but others here do with good results.

My cousins son was prescribed Soma, and he took as prescribed and wrecked his car three times in two months or less. Who knows?? Also he has serious problems getting up in the morning. But everyone is different.

I also have a problem getting the Xanax, the doctors want to give me anything BUT! Go figure.

I would not let it bother me, if thats what helps you, and you are doing alright. Let the rest of the world think what they want.

Shalom, Shirl

4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I know that Soma and Oxy are 2 of the most abused drugs on the market. I have a close friend who's a hospice nurse and she was surprised my Dr. was giving me Soma. She told me that docs are hesitant to prescribe certain drugs because of the illegal abuse rate with them. It's really sad, IMO, that those of use who need and would benefit from these controlled substances, sometimes have to suffer because of the actions of others.
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

My doctors don't see anything wrong with Xanax. Don't know anything about the other drugs you mentioned.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The only one of those I'm on is Xanax, and I have the same problem you do. Every time I go to a new doc I get the third degree and the comment "I would not give that to you". I can't even walk without it due to muscle spasms, and only take 1/4 of a pill every 7 hrs. so what is their problem? Fear of the DEA,that's what! The DEA has come down on docs really hard. They are losing the war on drugs and so they are going after legal ones. They have TOTAL power over docs. They can take your docs medical license away just because they want to, and the doc has no recourse. This rightly scares docs away from these drugs, and we suffer as a result.
    Then there are the junkies who are abusing these drugs and it results in legitimate people being refused them. Do you know what the very best pain reliever ever made is? It has NO side effects too! But, you'll never get it because the abusers have made sure it is totally out of circulation. It's called heroin. I'm afraid the same thing may happen with oxycontin before long the way it's going.
    Klutzo
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

that some are reading their doctors wrong. Xanax is VERY addictive and just maybe your doctors are concerned about that. It's also too easy to become pshycologically addicted to the pills and that could lead to a physical addiction.

Marilyn :)
  8. Teri424

Teri424 New Member

Hi, the only one of those I'm familiar with is Xanax and I take 3 or 4 .25 xanax. My psychiatrist says that is a very, very low dose and nothing to worry about. She says for me to take it every day. I have really bad panic attacks without it. I know my Rheumatologist was not thrilled about it either, but the psychiatrist was someone he had sent me to and he had seen how bad I was before I started taking that and the Effexor XR and the Buspirone (I was a basket case!). So,he doesn't even mention it any more. In fact he says he's proud of how much better I have gotten. I really don't understand why some docs are so afraid of giving it to patients either. Good luck! Teri
  9. selma

selma New Member

If it's working, Stay on it!!!!!!!!!
    The alternative to be in horendous humongous pain isn't

I don't use Soma since it upsets my belly. Xanax I have when needed. My shortness of breath I found out was an allergy. Could be for you too. But Drs don't explore things. I did and you Have to be your own advocate/backbone and stand up for yourself.

I'm praying that you feel better.

Love , Selma
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am only allowed a maximum of 3 of the .25 mg. Xanax per day, and the only time I take that many is when it's cold and wet at the same time. In summer, I average about 1/2 of 1 pill daily. I am not addicted, but I am dependent and I have to lower the dose VERY slowly every spring or I have dangerous withdrawl symptoms. If I were stuck somewhere without it, not doubt I would die of seizures, heart attack or stroke within 24 hrs. but without taking it, I would've been dead long ago, by my own hand. Some people are strong enough to live their lives in bed and I applaud them. I am not one of them. I can't walk unassisted without Xanax, so I take it, and I despise being dependent. It's all a trade off. I'd just advise anyone who takes it that if you ever get well enough to go off or lower the dosage, do it twice as slow as they tell you to. I've gone completely off it four times in the last 17 yrs. in order to prevent building a tolerance to it, and the withdrawl is really awful.
    God Bless,
    Klutzo
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Studies of Xanax show that most patients develop withdrawal symptoms during routine treatment lasting only eight weeks. Tolerance, or the need for increasing doses to achieve the same psychoactive effect, is the underlying physical mechanism of addiction. Within two to four weeks, tolerance can develop to the sedative effect of minor tranquilizers taken at night for sleep. This again warns against the use of these drugs for more than a few days at a time.

The short-acting benzodiazepines can produce especially severe withdrawal symptoms, because the drug is cleared from the body at a relatively rapid rate. These include Xanax, Halcion, Ativan, Restoril, and Serax. However, according to expert Louis Fabre in a February 1991 interview with me, tightness of binding to receptors is probably more
    indicative of addictive potential, and the most tightly binding are Xanax, Halcion, Ativan, and Klonopin.

Individuals who take only one pill daily for sleep or anxiety are not exempt from withdrawal problems. In my private practice during the last few years I have worked with several people who were unable to stop taking a once-a-day standard dose of Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, or other minor tranquilizers. In each case, the attempt to stop the medication led to a disturbing degree of anxiety or insomnia within twenty-four hours. The problem seemed to be caused by rebound anxiety or rebound insomnia. In a personal communication in late December 1990, internist John Steinberg confirmed that patients taking one Xanax tablet each day for several weeks can become addicted. Steinberg is medical director of the Chemical Dependency Program at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and president of the Maryland Society of Addiction Medicine. He points to research that Xanax and other short-acting benzodiazepines can cause a reactive hyperactivity of the receptors that they block. The hyperactive receptors then require one or more doses of Xanax each day or they produce anxiety and emotional discomfort.
    Steinberg calls the impact of Xanax "a fundamental change in the homeostasis of the brain." After the patient stops taking the Xanax, according to Steinberg, it takes the brain six to eighteen months to recover. Xanax patients should be warned, he says, that it can take a long time to get over painful withdrawal symptoms. Since doctors frequently don't realize this, they, too, are likely to be confused and to continue the drug in the hope of "treating" the patient's drug-induced anxiety and tension.

I did a search using the words xanax and addiction and brought up all sorts of pages on the downside of Xanax or similiar sedatives.

12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

for anyone that needs to learn about Xanax and missed this!

13. achy

achy New Member

I see moany of you are taking .25 mg up to 3X day....
    I am only taking .5mg maybe once a day because it makes me so tired. I ususally start with 1/2 in the am and maybe the other 1/2 in the afternoon. Many days I don't take any.
    It's so hard..one doc tells you one thing, another doc is totally opposite.
    The SS mental exam Doc wanted my Prescribing docs name, address & phone number. He was furious a GP was Rxing these drugs. I tried to explain that this didn't happen overnight. I tried many combos over the past year and have the half used bottles to prove it. Not only do I have a high pain threshold, I have a high drug threshold too. Tylenol is candy to my system since I took it for so many years.
    I am trying to "maintain my cool" and accept others opinions. I know most Docs are trying to help & I understand the addiction concern. But we are all different.
    I can't help that my body needs stringer meds.
    Would they rather that I stay in pain and just lay on the couch all day unable to do anything? Or would they rather I take the MINIMUM amount of the Meds my body requires and be able to walk & talk like normal people?!
    What really gets me it even with these meds I am still in pain, 24/7. The drugs just make it bearable and get me on my feet, usually.
    I am a tough ol broad and usually put up a good fight.
    Like I said before, I'm just so tired of defending myself.
    Thanks for all your replies. It has helped
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You're lucky you have a high pain threshold! I have a very LOW one, so any little thing hurts me, even the dog stepping on my lower legs in bed makes me cry out. I can't have my teeth cleaned at the dentist without being numbed....hubby doesn't need anything!

15. toots2

toots2 New Member

I would take almost anything to make me feel better but I wouldn't take Zanax or valium. It is just much too addictive. I have heard horror stories of trying to quit and just wouldn't want to even risk getting into something like that. Toots
  16. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

the extreme pain. Like you, if I hadn't have found a med that helps me live an almost normal life, well a least make my quality of life better, than I would probably feel the same way as you w/o havng some relief.

No one, and I mean no one should have to deal with this daily pain when there are meds out there that can help emensley!!

The whole problem is that people abuse things like this, they get a bad rep, and it ruins it for people like us who really get the benefits.

I don't want to get back on my soapbox again, but why don't people get upset about people buying spray paint, if you get my meaning.

Comforting, gentle hugs to ya gal, robsgal
  17. Desertboy

Desertboy New Member

Achy,

I hear every word you say....My doctor wants me to come off the of Soma, Lortab, Ambien, and Ultram all at the same time. What a disaster!!! He cut my doses in half. I can deal with the Soma and Ambien, but the Ultram and Lortab have been my saviour. I have been on the same meds, same doses, refill same day of the month, same pharmacy (you get the hint) and NO NO NO increase in dosage for 4 years. The doctor wants me off of the meds. I went to see a new doctor who told me that what I was taking was a suicide mission waiting to happen. I only take the Soma and Ambien at night and take the Ultram and Lortab in the day and function quite nicely. Since he has cut my meds, I have missed 1 day per week from my job and do not know what to do if he cuts any more, especially since I am starting a new job on 12/1!!

Hang in there....gently down feather hugs...

"desertboy"
  18. achy

achy New Member

Thanks for helping me with this...I understand both sides, the fear of addiction vs. not being able to function.

Desertboy, what did your doc mean by a suicide waiting to happen? from taking the meds or from stopping them like that?

I have been having SEVERE & EXTREME hip pain for two days & can barely walk - And I am taking 20mg of Oxy & 1/2 soma every 12 hours! What would the pain be like if I wasn't taking anything? I hate taking these meds...but I hate pain and rather wanting to die even more.
    It's like ying and yang....
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy

[ advertisement ]