why do grapes make me so much worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patchwork, Mar 20, 2003.

1. patchwork

patchwork New Member

Anyone know?? All my C.F.S symptoms surface after I've eaten grapes or drank beer. I feel TERRIBLE, just like when I was in the really bad stage? Obviously I avoid these 2 things,but I'd like to know why it happens.....
  2. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

First let me say that I am not a docotor and I do not play one on tv... LOL!!

I am just going to give you my first impression..fair enough? I am wondering, when I read that you are ill after beer, if you have a candida or yeast infection going on..I cannot drink beer if/when I have that.

And second..you might be allergic to grapes??..but I would sooner think that you NEED them. I have a book that mentions a grape remedy for healing..it is strick..thankfully it did not look like it took that long. Any who..it stated in there that if a grape does not even look good to you, or if you have a problem with it in the begining..it is usually a sign that you need the grape and the nutrients it has.

I do not know..maybe you could do a search on it? Try looking up..The Grape Cure..by Johanna Brandt. I got this out of a book called Miracle Food Cures from the Bible..by Reese Dubin. I love this book..have not tried the grape diet yet..I do take grapeseed extract though...and like it. I have found alot of things in this book that do help me...and find it a real blessing.

Hope by responding to this post..you will get more replies that are more helpful.

Wishing you a good day...Sherry
  3. phenom

phenom New Member

i just wanted to say i read your post and the replies and i am so amazed at the knowlege base we have here on the boards. its excellent.

phenom
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is my first guess although I am not a medical professional. Cut all sugars and yeast products from your diet to see whether that makes a difference. I would also talk to the doc about this.

Love, Mikie
  5. tomf

tomf New Member

Grapes and beer are high in arginine, which is an amino acid that is required for herpes class viruses(EBV, CMV ect...)to replicate. Lysine another amino acid, disrupts herpes virus replication. Herpes type viruses can not
    differentiate between lysine and arginine so a diet with a high lysine/arginine ratio will decrease symptoms while a high arginine/lysine ratio will increase your symptoms...If your symptoms are due to herpes class viruses.

I have the same reaction to grapes and beer as you. I get increased symptoms. I also notice corn and grains(high in arginine also) increase my symptoms.

Go here and look at the ratios to see if there is a pattern to what you are eating and increased symptoms.
    http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
  6. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

Just to tell you, I am with you. I can't have three types of fruit unless I want FMS to act up. I also can't have some meat. Funny how it works, I know that it isn't alleges.
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

The first three things that came to mind were:

1. Mold...grapes contain a lot of mold, and so can the grains used to make beer.

2. Insulin...grapes (but I don't think beer) is high on the glycemic index. Foods such as grapes are basically sugars.

3. Coppper...grapes are high in copper (don't think this is the case with beer) and many of us with CFS have excess copper. FYI shellfish and chocolate are also high in copper.

The list of possible reasons why you react to these two items could be endless. In addition to allergies you might have chemical sensitivies, and unless the grapes are organic, they are known to be higher in carcinogens (the thinner the skin, the more vulnerable they are to pesticide contamination). Both are carbohydrates and I know grapes are high carb. foods (not sure with beer)....cfs patients do well to keep their carbs low. I guess the bottomline is that you have recognized two culprits and know to avoid them :)

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  8. patchwork

patchwork New Member

My C.F.S was triggered by E.B.V so maybe it is the high arginine. Strange thing is I can drink wine!
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

I was put on a "mold free diet" because of allergies. Included in the things to avoid were grapes and beer, beer because of the yeast. I am surprised that you can drink wine with no problem because of the fermentation. I can't drink it because I'm also allergic to sulphites and wine is "loaded" with them. The reason the grapes were on the no-no list is because they mold very easily.

Dara
  10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I noticed that after the FMS developed fully, that I can no longer eat Grapes, and also Watermelons, and I will never touch Cantalope again, the last time about killed me.

I will check out that website, I have Herpes, and I think that is what started the FMS to Flare. I worked for a Medical Courier back in 83, and they didn't know much about it back then. I picked up all kinds of Lab work, Urine, Blood, etc. one day I had an accident, the lab person didn't tighten a cap on one of the Vials, and it leaked all over me. I washed my hands, but I went to the Bathroom first, then washed them, I figured why wash twice.? Well now I know why. I had just used a papeer towel to dry off with, while I looked for a bathroom, wrong move. I have it and the Hubby dosen't, so that's the most plausable answer. We quit having relations when I started having breakout's. Plus I have CMPS and a very bad back and other Physical problems.

I went through so many Doctor's who didn't even know that I had Herpes, all they had to do, was do another Blood test. I get tested regulary for other condition's, like HIV, Lupus, RA, and AS, you would think they would look for the Herpes Virius too.

I don't have CFS, but share a lot of common Symptoms, and this is one of them. I get real Flimy too if I eat the wrong food's.

When I was first dx, they told me that Herpes was contracted by Sex, well now I have been reading articles that say differently, you can get it from contamiated hands, which I suppect I did.
    I started shortly after that to display Symptoms of both condition's.

I eat hardly anything, it all makes me Sick, not just Heartburn or Gas, but down right Sick. The last time I drank any kind of Liquor, I was down for three day's, I was so white my Hubby wanted to take me to the ER. I said no just leave me here on the Cool bathroom floor, I laid a towel down first, and the coolness came through and helped me to relax. I haven't Drank since, and i was doing Karakoe Show's regularly then, so I would have at least 3 drinks during the night. I was the only Sober person in the Club on New Year's Eve, 2000. It was worth it, I just have no desire for Booze, lol, any longer.

I can't eat Patato's either, lol.
    sorry I do get a little gabby now and then, but I think that by sharing our Experiences with each other helps to put some of the pieces of the Puzzle togeather. I can read article's, but I like to know how folks reacted to Food, or a certain med, like that, Helps to make sense of this cray dd.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  11. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I just recently found out that I did start drinking Welchs Grape juice everyday and I felt so much better. I stopped drinking it just to see if it may be really helping me and I feel like crap again. So I'm going to the store today and stocking up on it. I may be crazy but if it does the same thing by making me feel alot better like before...I will be drinking it everyday for now on.
    Carlacat

[ advertisement ]