Why do I cry all of the time? I feel like I am going crazy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Jun 5, 2006.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi Friends-

I cry all of the time. I have had so much time to analyze my crying but can't stop or start it.

Is this a symptom of CFS or FMS. Could this be from my thyroid?

I use to think nothing could be worse than my fatigue. Now crying is running a pretty close 2nd. I feel horrible when I cry. I feel like I am going crazy. It is not from depression although I am not saying I am not depressed. It feels hormonal (although they say my hormones are fine).

Any help with this would be much appreciated!!
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I feel like that when I am having anxiety. I have had CFS/FM for 20 years. The first few years I had it alot. But, yet, didn't feel depressed and the antidepressants did nothing. Through klonopin, xanax and heart med. for tachycardia, I finally got it under control.

I have experienced some return of the crying this week and took .12mg of xanax every am for a few days and feel MUCH better.

Don't know if anything like that will help you...but that was my experience.

Spacee
  3. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I Hope you are able to stay home a lot until you find the reason or learn how to control the urge. I HATE for people to see me cry and I am a cryer extroidinaire at any goodbyes.

On top of that, I am not a pretty crier with tears slidingly gently down my checks. I bawl with my face all contorted, NOT a pretty sight!!!

Good Luck with your search...Jana
  4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

themselves trying to make sense of it .

My guess is that like many of us , you have a chemical
    imbalance that often accompanies this disease .

For me the anti depressants help a lot . They also help me get some sort of perspective about my circumstances , when I feel helpless . I would talk to my doctor before it gets worse .
  5. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

By nature it has always been hard for me to cry. It might have something to do with getting my face slapped as a kid when I would cry. Anyway, now with both fMS and cfs I can cry about anything.
  6. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

they should have a crying icon. Yes I cry, especially when I hit a really painful time again when I felt like I was actually making progress. tonight it's because my feet hurt so much and my new med lyrica isn't doing it for me to get to sleep. I am apparently not depressed either, yet many of use take anti-depressants for that serotonin uptake business or just to take the edge off of our type a personalities that don't go with fibro very well. I am a typically stressed person. I have a stressful job I work with handicapped children, I have a handicapped son, I am only 47 and feel like you know what half the time. But I don't have those depression markers like killing myself - I have too much to do, I have to stick around. Why are they saying it's not hormonal? When my time comes around my whole body goes crazy. I have asked to go back continuous on my birth control and not to prevent babies!
    Oh yes, I had my thyroid checked and it was the generic testing, there is a more involved one, so if you go back to get tested again check into this. Good luck to you.
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

HI HPPEANDME,

Sorry to hear about the crying. I've had times like that and it does suck,and can be very embarassing. For me frequent crying was a clear sign of depression. Maybe you should look into taking a "are you depressed?" quiz on line.
    Google one called (approx.) hamilton depression index. If I weren't on effexor I'd be crying all the time.

Also instead of or addition to antidepressants there are some supplements that may help lift your mood. You'd have to research them. -- SAMe, St Johns Wort, B-complex vitamins, etc.

Also I have read many times that certain foods help fight depression and stress. Like complex carbs/whole grains, raw nuts and raw seeds.

Good luck, and I wish you "drier days" ahead!!!!

BigMama2
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

Sweetie, I am so sorry you are feeling this way. It is normal to be sad about being sick all the time and feeling misunderstood. How can we not be depressed?

I have found though, that sometimes if we have a chemical imbalance that we react even more strongly to depression. I found an antidepressant (paxil), that while it didn't keep me from crying at all, it does keep me from crying all the time. If I go off of it I cry every day at the slightest provocation. When I am on it, I still cry sometimes, but I can control it.

I don't know if this is your situation, but please look into counseling, if you can afford it, or an antidepressant. If you have a chemical imbalance the medication will work better than counseling. If you have a chemical imbalance, it can do wonders. Counseling (even though I can't afford it) is also good to just help you get it off your shoulder.

It is not your fault you are sad. Life is throwing you situations that most don't deal with. If you are sick every day and in pain that is enough to make anyone sad. Please look into options that can take the edge off of the sadness. Like I said they have been a lifesaver to me. I wish you the best. Please keep us informed to how you are.
  9. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I am right there with you.

When my thyroid is off, it can make the tears pour out.

So can steriods. be there done that too.

And if you work so can your Boss!! that was a big one for me. I got to the point that I went to the Dr.'s and first thing I said ,, you need to put some crazy glue in my tear ducts.

The Dr. stopped my prozac and switched me to Lexpro. I was only on 10 mlgs of prozac and the lexpro is the lowest dose as well at 10 mlgs. It did make a diffrence.

Of course I still have my days when the water works starts up.

Oh yeah, B12 I started and it helped too.

My Endo. did the hormonal test and said it was normal too. But I cant say that is true as I have hot flash's all the time. I am teased at work because I have a fan on the top of my desk and a fan going under my desk. Co-workers say my cubical is like a blizzard! They think it is so funny that they called my Name and address in to a testing place for Hot Flash's for a new med!!! I just got it in the mail asking me if I would be interested in particapating.

We all got a good laugh out of it at work. I cant be mad at them as it is so obvious.

Hey, enough of me. You go back to the Dr.'s and see what they can do. ok??

Keep in touch with us

Good Luck
    God Bless,
    Cindy
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

hppeandme:

Dry those eyes and know that many of us have gone through similar experiences. You are not alone with it.

Why not find a nice doctor who can help you through this rough time in Life? There are answers out there and being proactive gives a feeling of personal empowerment.

Try to dry those eyes and take action!

Hugs.........................

nyrofan
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

sounds like you are in the beginning of what I call a crash.

If you haven't been to your doc for awhile you need to and let him know what you are feeling.

He may want to increase your anti-depression drug.I would also think he will test your thyroid for any changes.

Could I ask your age? Some people go into an early menopause and you can talk to your doctor about that also.

You know our body, mind and spirits go thu so much in the DD's I think we sometimes forget the over all exhaustion they cause.

For me I am finding I do better if I keep things in a routine .Like lay down everyday at the same time.

Also I have been limiting myself to TV and Radio time. I am getting more quiet time. Noises can tire me out just as fast as exercise.

I hope these things help you and I hope you feel better .Let us know whats going on.
  12. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

I cry constantly. Got to the point that my boyfriend (when I had one) would just say 'what are you crying about now'. He REALLY didn't understand.

The last time I had my really big crying spell, I cried for four hours straight. To be alone, I went to a local cemetary which is very hilly and went all the way to the back where nobody could see me.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I just scream out at the top of my lungs. Maybe it's my way of letting out the stresses.

I just know it sure doesn't do much for my appearance the next day...purplish swollen eyelids and swollen face.
  13. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I to have went through what you are going through where I will cry over things like others in the family not caring how much effort it takes me to clean the house and they just leave their stuff here and their I started taking the antidepressant cymbalta and it helps me not get so upset I still have crying spells but not as often.Before I started taking it I cried everyday as if someone had died and no matter how much I told myself it wasnt that bad I still couldnt stop crying!
  14. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Thanks everyone for all of your replies! This group is so helpful! I am glad I am not the only one. I am on several antidepressents. I take 3 Cymbalta a day as well as Lexapro 20mgs.

I am going to a Chinese medicine doctor today to see if I can get some help. I feel like Western medicine has failed me so I am giving it a try.

Carabelle, I am 31. I think it is to early for menopause but please let me know.

Thanks again everybody!!

Much Love,
    Hope
  15. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Sometimes it's hard to separate out the cause of what you are describing because symptoms of disorders can and do overlap. I think I remember that you have Lyme Disease, is that correct? What you are describing could be from Lyme.

Lyme can cause "psychiatric" symptoms. The following is from a little brochure: "What Psychiatrists Should Know about Lyme Disease" which you can find at ilads.org/PsychiatristBrochure.pdf

Have you discussed the crying problem with your doctor? Are you seeing an LLMD?

"At any time after a tick bite, patients may also exhibit cognitive symptoms such as memory and concentration impairments and word-finding difficulties, ADD/ADHD-like symptoms, learning disabilities, OCD,

crying spells, rages, depression/bipolar disorder, panic/anxiety disorders and psychoses -

all may be caused or exacerbated by Lyme disease."

Hope you feel better soon.
    Hopeful4

16. Jordane

Jordane New Member

It isnt something I do very often.

But there have been times when I was so exhausted,felt like I couldnt take another anything.That I broke down and cried.

Crying doesnt help me.Just makes my head feel stuffed up.There is no relief from it.

But it may be menopause,or pre.I started it at 38.

Good Luck!!!
    Jordane
  17. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I cry all the time too - from the pain, the fatigue, the depression that go along with this illness - and people not understanding. I am getting it under control a little bit with Effexor (just started 3 weeks ago). But still can cry buckets. I do get a little relief from it at times.
  18. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think the earliest Ive known someone to go into menopause is 39.unless someone is surgically put in it early because they had ovaries removed.

I hope you feel better.Let us know about the new doctor and what he says about these DD's
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

hyperemotionality and other "mental" symptoms can indicate lyme/co-infections...

for the most notorious case, look up the story about the FSU star quarterback found last June disheveled and mumbling he was God and staggering down a Tallahassee street...

after a month in the hospital and all kinds of tests and no positives, he was finally tested for Lyme - that was it.

He has been doing IV abx and is back at school, even tho Florida doctors claimed Lyme 'isn't there'... but how can they argue with results...

Just a thought... also, whether it is Lyme or not, psychotropic medication can be of help to many.

all the best,
    Victoria

20. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I am not sure anymore if I have Lyme. The symptoms all seem to be there but the tests indicate otherwise. I have had every test for Lyme known to man from Igenex and other labs. LLMD's will tell me I have Lyme, but Rheumy's or Neuro's will say it is not. Rheumy's say just CFS or Fibro.

I am sure it would be the same if most went to a LLMD w/ their CFS or Fibro symptoms. I was so sure at one point that I had Lyme because of my exposure to tics prior to getting ill but now I am not so sure due to all of the antibiotics I have been on for Lyme.

I went to a Chinese Medical doctor today and she says that all of the antibiotics I have been taking has killed my good bacteria to fight any infection. She said it also has kills the immune system sort of like chemo.

So confused as I am sure many of us are.

[ advertisement ]