why do i feel guilty about doin a college course?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by STML, Aug 11, 2006.

1. STML

STML New Member

don't understand myself sometimes and i know is because my heads not mine with this dd, i've already managed to finish a degree i had to drop out of with distant learning while ive been ill, hard as it was, and want to do another course but am somehow plagued with guilt about not working. i know why i can do a college course and why i cant work, i.e. if i don't move much i can read and just complete essays,however if i move a lot and surrounded by lots of people as u know the fatigue sets in,

anyone in same boat?

STMLx
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I'm not in the same boat as you, but I think it is interesting that you feel guilty for taking a college course, but you can't work.

I feel that way now because I'm on summer break from college becuse I do not contribute financially to our household.

When school starts again, I'll be a wreck just trying to get my school work done. I hate it. I can't wait to just go back to work (If that will even be possible)

Anyway, lots of rambling not make sense. I hope you feel better soon.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

contradiction between being able to take one college course and not being able to work.

No reson to feel guilty.

You're right. When we are depressed, in pain, etc. we can't think straight.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

How about this? How about seeing your ability to take courses as a benefit of your illness? (Imagine benefit in italics.) We don't have a whole lot of them, as you know, so maybe this can be one for you.

I think it's wonderful that you can be so efficient with your time.

Marta
  5. STML

STML New Member

thanks everyone for your opinions, i think ive let other peoples judgements, opinions cloud my judgement but as u will know its harder to fight back as u did when you were well mentally without suffering for it

hope your all on a good day or will be soon

thanks
    STMLxxx
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I am taking some online courses. There's a big difference in doing courses online where you can do it on your time when you feel like it, than working where you have to be there and do a job at a certain time and do certain physical things. Besides you are trying to prepare yourself for a better job in the future when you are feeling better, right?Don't feel guilty. You are doing the best you can!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and normal occupation...and i am on ssdi...

they will be making some accomodations for me....to help me through...

i just am having som problems w/my pride of maybe using a special wordprocessing voice thing so i don't need to deal w/typing ect....and other accommodations...

i feel like crapola today...physically...but i need to do something at my near 42 tender age of being young....still at my age...

why feel guilty....jodie
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Don't feel guilty at all!! There is a difference betw-

having to be at a job everyday with a commitment to

your employeer and other employees an taking a class or

so at your own pace!! You are so very young yet so grab

all the knowledge and enjoyment fromit you can!

We are with ya,
    MRDAD
  9. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I don't mean power over others or overpowering someone.One scripture I read said "my people perish for a lack of knowledge".

I used to feel so guilty when I spent time or money on myself.I couldn't say I didn't feel like I was worth anything,but my actions showed that.

I went through a divorce, my x told me not to expect to ever make over minimum wage when he left.I started my own business a few years after he left. My home based business grossed over 94,000.oo dollars in 1998.

I was designing ceramic tile for furniture companies. I had taken a typing course, that is how I learned to center my design in the middle of a table.Who would have ever thought that a typing course would help in furniture design?

Develope your interest and let them take you to where you want to go.Something you study may take you places that you never thought you would go.

Have you ever heard that it is none of your business what others think of you? I used to worry so much whay others thought, not any more. I wish you a blessed life with much success. atiledsner
  10. STML

STML New Member

hey everyone, thanks for the advice, atiledsner- congrats on business idea, fab you fought back, take care, mrdad, thanks for kind words hope your on a good day take care, 69mach, drop the pride thing, its horrible, i know but i used the voice activator for my first year study, had listening tapes and few extra days on my essays, kellyann. good luck with the studies,pace yourself,

i shall sign up now for the renaissance course,

good health, happy days,
    STMLx
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

"Why can't I work" ....

You know the reasons, but you are not letting that fact stop you from life, from getting out there, trying.....

Good for you! Keep up the good "work." :)

Fondly, June
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I think you're to be congratulated for undertaking an online course.

Of course it's totally different to going out to work, you can do the course work when you're able to.....

Good luck and good for you.

love
    Rosie
  13. sandyL

sandyL New Member

I was reading what you typed to Stml and it helped me,

I am somewhat of the same dilema, in my case,it seems my gusto to do things constructive is less, than my distaste for boredom. I feel such a strong pull sometimes to have my old life back, taking classes, learning new things, then there is the seemingly dread, I have that, I wont have the energy to complete what I start, and I think it hinders me from doing something to fill the void of not working. since I was young I have always had to have some kind of challenge , like learning something new, to keep me from boredom.
    I wanted to take some kind of course, so I think I will take an online course, that should help with my boredom, and be a happy compromise,,

so thanks for your advise to Stml,
    and good luck to you Stml

thanks everyone