Why do I have a ton of bricks on my chest?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by phoebe1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I hate moaning, but I feel so frustrated, it feels like I can't breathe properly and like my heart is racing, plus I can feel my stomach ulcer acting up again.
    Am I a anxious person without knowing it?
    I have a lot of stress at work but nothing I can't handle, can one feel anxious for no apparent reason, just because it's your personality?
    I would like to hear your opinions about this, I feel so out of control.
    I don't know what to do, I can't afford to take medication that will make me feel drowsy, not even a little bit.
    Any help will be appreciated!

Love
    Phoebe
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have had members here who have had heart attacks. Please have this checked out. It could be anxiety but it could also be a heart problem. Heart attacks are the number one killer of women.

Keep us updated on what the doc says. BTW, if it's anxiety, there are meds which can be taken in very small doses which do not make one sleepy.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

...off of Effexer and Neurontin my chest tightness, short of breath and heaviness went away. I don't know which of these meds is the culpret but one of them is. I even had a bunch of heart tests done to make sure my heart is ok. My heart is fine. Just a thought.
  4. badluck

badluck New Member

You can't fool around with something like this. I have felt like this before and have felt silly because it was nothing serious, but the relief from knowing that I was OK was enough to calm things down and let me start to feel better. If there is something wrong, you'll be glad later when you can reflect on nearly letting it go. Let us know how you are please.
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and concern, I am already taking klonopin and I am not on any other meds that can cause side-effects such as this.
    I will go see a doctor as soon as I can, I never even considered heart issues because I am only 26, but I now remember watching a program on Oprah about heart attacks being the no. 1 killer.

Stormy, I am still taking the aloe, I thought for a little while it was working but it isn't, I switched to another brand but this one is also not doing anything.

Hugs
    Phoebe
  6. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I agree with the others...a doctor's visit is probably in order.

But, there might be another reason. Do you ever feel this way after eating simple carbohydrates (sweets, potatoes, etc.)? Please pay close attention to this. You could be suffering from Reactive Hypoglycemia. RH can give you very similar symptoms.

Also, this can happen if you have a food allergy.

Your symptoms are what happens to me when I weaken and eat the wrong things. With FM, there are more side effects besides physical pain. For me, this is one of them.

[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  7. Hoops

Hoops New Member

Definitely see your dr about this to rule out heart and lung problems first and then consider costochondritis. A lot of us FMers have both and your symptoms fit the bill. But, again, you need to rule out other causes first. There is a good Yahoo costochondritis support group if you want to check it out. Hoops
  8. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I almost always feel like I have bricks on my chest and have shortness of breath.

I thought this was a normal CFIDS symptom that most everyone had. Am I mistaken?

9. Hoops

Hoops New Member

Does it hurt to take in a deep breath and are your ribs sore? Costochondritis is where the movable cartilage that joins the ribs to the sternum becomes inflammed. The ribs then tighten making them hard to expand to breathe so people tend to shallow breath. You can get zappers and burning pain from this that radiates up into the bones above your breasts as well. It's not fun. My rheumy thinks it's all a part and parcel of fibro but there are a lot of people with costo who don't have fibro, so who knows? Hoops
  10. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I don't feel like this after eating carbs or sugar, it sometimes just comes out of the blue and won't leave.
    I also don't have any pain with it, it's just a heaviness and difficulty to breathe and racing heart, and usually my stomach acts up.
    I know shallow breathing and shortness of breath are symptoms of FM, but I feel that my symptoms might be because of anxiousness.

Hugs
    Phoebe
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I agree for you to see your doctor. You may have GERD that can be treated with simple meds.

I had no idea I had gastric reflux and suffered for several years. I did not have the normal symptoms - no heartburn, etc. Several months ago, when I scheduled a routine colonscopy,the doctor also did a endoscopy.

He discovered damage to my esophagus and a small hietal hernia. I started taking Prevacid and also sleep on a wedge pillow on my back. I am much better.

I also felt like I could not breathe at times. Very strange. I also had feelings of anxiety.

Whatever, is wrong I agree you should see your doctor.