Why do I have more energy in the evening?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Tigger57, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Can anyone explain to me why I drag my butt around all day feeling like a Mack truck has run over me and backed up, then it gets to be about 7-8p.m. and all of a sudden I'm in the mood to clean house or something? I don't get it. Anyone else have this problem.

Oh, and I don't have any trouble falling asleep..... it's just staying asleep for more than a few hours that's the killer too.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I'll give you a little of my daytime if you give me a little of your nighttime. After supper, I struggle getting through the chores I need to do before going to bed. But our alarm goes off at 4:30 a.m. so that probably is a good part of it. Fondly, June
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm up at 5 every morning and feel like I could go right back to bed. I'm laid off from work until the first week of April, which is coming up quickly, and I try to keep the same schedule when I'm laid off that I do when I'm working.... except for naps... they won't let me do that at work.

Actually, in the evening it's not a real efficient awakeness, it's more like restlessness. Not comfortable at all.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  4. TiffyJH

TiffyJH New Member

Hi, Tigger.

I also have TONS more energy at night than during the day. Not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with our sleep/wake cycles?

I have no problem falling asleep either. Actually, that IS the problem lol. Sometimes I feel like I could lay down in the aisle at the grocery store and sleep right there.

Anyway, I'm an evening/night person too, just wanted to chime in.

Tiff
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am right there with you. I seem to 'wake' up totally at about 6pm, thats when the brain, the energy, and everything else kicks in.

Mornings are horrible, I wake up more tired then when I went to bed. It takes a full hour to function on just a low key, then only after a cup of seriously strong coffee.

My whole mind is stuck on going back to bed till evening. I don't go to bed, but my 'brain' is telling me too, its a battle all during the day.

Before the FM hit me hard, I had always been a night person. I survived on like just about 3-4 hours of sleep most of my life.

I was (key word here 'was') a typical type 'A' personality, I got more done than anyone I knew. I had 18-19 hour days instead of the normal 10 hours like most normal humans :)

No one ever understood how I could live on such little sleep and still be wide awake all the time.

But I don't have the energy or the strength to do this anymore. I now sleep 8-9 hours a night with the ZMA, but I have little or no energy during the day hours anyway.

Plus, I can't go to sleep before 1am, if I do I wake up at 4am with nothing to do but watch the news :) too tired to get out of the bed.

I think the 'clock' in my brain is messed up big time!

Shalom, Shirl

6. loriRn

loriRn New Member

I struggle all morning to get through my day at work, even into early evening, wanting to just drop. then about 7-8pm I'mready to go. I get up at 6 to go to work. This type of schedule has always been mine.early to bed, early to rise. Always got my best work done in the am. Now it's a big struggle, so your not alone. Lori.
  7. maxtout

maxtout New Member

.....it's so very hard for me to get going in the morning. I'm more tired upon awakening than I was when I went to bed....no matter what time I go to bed or get up.

Just trying to stay awake the first few hours in the morning is a horrible struggle. I can barely muster enough energy to do simple things like a small sink full of dishes; it just drains me. My muscles are sore and burning and all of my joints are stiff and sore. I drag myself from point "A" to point "B" with my eyes rolling around in my head, feeling totally "fogged in" as far as brain activity goes.

Then the sun starts going down and I notice my energy level and mental alertness starts going up! AND the pain and stiffness seems to ease up too. What's up with that? It's like I get a second wind or something and I can tackle a bit more than I'm able to do during the daylight hours.

I thought it was just me. When most people are beginning to settle in for the night, I'm dusting, vacuuming, rearranging my sock drawer, etc., I feel like a freak or a vampire or something. Is it related to meds or are we just on a different circadian rhythm than the rest of the human race?

I know my father did something similar after brain trauma and surgery while he was in the hospital years ago. He would just be totally out of it all during the day, couldn't stay awake, but then was very mentally and physically active all through the night. So much so, a family member had to stay with him at the hospital at night to watch him, because the nurses weren't staffed to allow a one on one bedside watch. He would constantly get out of his hospital bed, pull out his IV's, try to walk up and down the hall, etc..

We asked his neurologist about this behavior and the neurologist said my father had what is termed, "Sundowner's syndrome." We had never heard of it before or since, but the neurologist explained that it usually occured to people who have had some damage or trauma done to the brain or central nervous system.

It would be interesting to find out if there really is a such thing as "Sundowner's Syndrome" and if that's what affects a lot of us. Lack of adequate oxygenated blood to the brain perhaps?
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

It's funny I've never really been a night person... except when I was in college and partying all the time.

Of course, I've never really considered myself a morning person either. I've alway said that I peak between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; if you don't catch me then, you're out of luck! lol

Lately, even that hasn't been accurate... I'm just plain useless during the day until about 7p.m., but that only lasts a few hours.

I thought it was kind of weird too.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I can say I have more energy in the early eves,but still not enough!!
    I wake up at 6am and up till 6-7pm I'm literally dragging my a**~ Then for some odd reason....its not that I feel energenic,but I'll sometimes get into cleaning something or baking. (I don't even have the energy to think about that stuff during the day) I just wanna lay around.
    Somedays,I'll doze off on the couch,wake up a see the sun shining......and think to myself"my god!what am I just layin here for?" I'll look outside and see the world going about their days.Its very hard to watch life pass you by, when you soooooo much wanna join~
    I pray hard for a cure,or even something that will help us with pain and fatique!!
    Take care :)
  10. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I think it has something to do with our adrenals. I have read that they finally kick in late evening after the evening meal. After being whipped all day, they finally start working. I am the same way, after dinner I finally get some energy.
  11. neen85

neen85 New Member

I heard that it had to do with your body temps. and that your body goes in to rest mode and it drops at night. Since most of us have a lowered temp anyway,and our optimal function (enzymes,cells,etc.)is at 98.6,we just aren't functioning in the a.m. Just a theory! I do know that my Dr. had me keep a thermometer at bedside and take my temp. before I even get out of bed in the morning,noon,and at 5p.m. I do better in the evenings too!! Daneen
  12. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

My doctor thinks it's the fatigued adrenals not working properly. I agree. Although my symptoms fluctuate sometimes, mostly I am painfully exhausted even though I had a good nights sleep. I feel wasted pretty much throughout the day. I get that burst of energy after dinner, but it's extrememly shortlived, because I'm falling asleep on the couch as early as 7pm sometimes. Consequently, I've broken many dates with my husband to go to a movie.
  13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

From what I have just read 'Sundowners Syndrome' does not apply to what we are discussing here.

It seems to happen to normal people that are hospitalized, people with brain damage, drug induced, or those suffering from Alzheimers. They are not aware of what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

14. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I sure wish I could have as much energy in the morning as I do at night. I've always been a night person though.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  15. mommysisland

mommysisland New Member

I'm just about crawling at 4pm right when I need to be running. Then around 8pm some energy arrives, right after the kids go to bed.

I've read that it can be adrenal, messed up sleep/wake cycle and related to the low body temp. cycle, though I cannot remember why.....

Jessica
  16. seeingblindly

seeingblindly New Member

I do much better between the hours , 2PM till midnight or 1 AM.
    Cee
  17. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Do any of you have low blood sugar? I do. It seems like it takes all day to get it together-- exactly the same as your descriptions. I am most alert after the kids go to bed...when I should be resting! I remember reading in a book on FM/MPS that our eating habits could play a part-- lagging energy from our levels falling too low overnight. I will see if I can find the exerpt and give a better explanation. I've never been a morning person...but if I get up at 6 or 7 I do better than if I sleep till 8 or later. Which I usually do...
  18. joanpdx

joanpdx New Member

What I have learned recently is that after adrenal fatigue sets in, the adrenals start to produce too little cortisol during the day. However, they may still produce normal amounts in the evening. This means you have more energy at night.

This condition is not normal and should be corrected if possible. You first test for it by a saliva test. Great Smokies Lab does it I think and maybe other labs. You can read more about this on the Great Smokies Lab website and on Dr. Michael Lam's website. (On Dr. Lam's site, type in Adrenal Fatigue after you get to his site.)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2004]
  19. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I NEVER was a night person. Since my fibro is now in full swing, I also find that I have more energy (which of course isn't much) in the evening. I don't work so I drag in the morning and start moving around 10 or 11. I also take a nap in the afternoon if possible. I have no problem falling asleep, I too could lay down in the grocery store and go to sleep. If I only could stay asleep, even with flexeril, neurontin, and klonipin, I only sleep solid for 4 hrs.

Glad to see I am not the only one, I thought it was real strange. It is hard for your family to come home at the end of the day and you have done nothing because you feel so awful then all of a sudden you are doing laundry and cleaning the house. I always wonder if they think I am really sick or just plain lazy.

Lisa
  20. Buddie

Buddie New Member

One of the best things I ever did after I developed FMS was to recognize my biorythms. I have never been a morning person all my life no matter how hard I tried.

As long as I tried to work in the 8-5 world, I was miserable. It does not matter when I go sleep or how well I sleep, my body sleeps best from about 1-2 a.m. till 7-9 a.m. As long as I can sleep in those hours, I am good. It takes me a long time to wake up and get use to the day.

I am at my mental and physical peak from about 11 a.m. till late night. I now work part time from 1 p.m. till 6 p.m. or later. I am always on and never tired. But, when I worked full time, I dragged in at 9 a.m., had to go home at lunch and take up to a 2 hour nap just to make it through the day.

I can work all night if needed as long as I can sleep in the morning. I am very fortunate to have this part time job that accomodates me. I am at my best from 11 a.m. on. I work in computer technical support and I can get called at all hours of the night but I really don't mind now as I can sleep in the mornings. In my previous life, I could get called all night and still was expected to be at work by 9 a.m.

My FMS problems are SO much better now that I have arranged my life to accomodate my very hard and ingrained biorthyms. As long as I can sleep till at the latest 10 a.m., get in my exercise, and not have to be at work till 1 p.m., I am leading a very good life with FMS. There are times, I have to go in for a 9 or 10 a.m., meeting and I can do it on occassion. But, I always think, I can work 5 hours, go home, and do so many things. But, it never fails, that if I have to get up a 6 a.m., once I come home, I need a long nap no matter how easy my work day.

I always think it will be different and I try so hard to use these times to test myself. I go into it with great hopes that I will be fine and I can actually function for a full regular day. These times show me, I could never return to a regular 8-5 job unless I was forced to. And, then, I am not sure how long I could last.

I know how very fortunate I am that I can still work on my good hours, sleep in the morning, and work on the hours when I am at my best. I know I could not work otherwise.

I am not real happy in my job but it is so easy and so much less stress. Part of me misses the old days. I can now actually leave work at work. I never thought I would see the day I could totally forget work when I came home or for a whole weekend.

I feel for you on the sleep problems as I have been there. I had the wake up mind won't turn off problem for many years. I would replay the events of the day. I would wake up and be mentally in a meeting I had that day thinking about how I could have said or done something differnt. Or wake up thinking of things that happened years ago that bothered me. I would wake up thinking about things that happened years ago like it occurred today. My mind would not shut off.

I think the reason this went away for me was changing my life, reduced life stress, getting over my perfectionist personality, learning to take care of myself, and letting go of worrying about other people that were not losing sleep worrying about me.

This was the best advice I ever got - when you wake up at 2 p.m., thinking about the people and issues in your life, ask yourself, are the people I am awake for, losing sleep over, up tonight worrying about me ? My answer was always no they were not. It took me many years to see this but once I did, I started sleeping so well.

Somehow, I found my way to let go of those thoughts, let go of worrying about others, and embrace the totally alien concept for me that I had to do everything I could to take care of myself first and quit sacrificing my health for others who did not support me. Only when I did these things, did the FMS problems get better.

I now sleep very long and hard and it makes a major difference in how well I feel. Find your own way to getting the best sleep you can. I have been on both sides and as long as you don't sleep well, you might as well forget everything else. From my experence, you can't get better until you fix the sleep problem.