WHY Do I HAVE TO BE THE 1 IN 100 ??? : (

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 139864, Mar 29, 2007.

1. 139864

139864 New Member

A couple of mnths. ago I had what I thought was going to be simple cateract surgery ,as it is for the vast majority of people .
    Ever since the surgery I have suffered with various things eg. Fever ,in bed for over a week .swollen & painful eye .
    Last week I went back to the Hosp. & they treated it with anti biotic drops .
    Yesterday I went for my check up ....After examination they injected me with a fluorescent dye ( I was bright yellow & glowing ;0) )& then they told me I HAD FLUID AT THE BACK OF THE EYE & I was going to need more surgery ,which has been scheduled for 11th April .

Stay WELL
    Brenda uk

Major Cataract Surgery Complications
    Major cataract surgery complications are very rare. These complications occur in fewer than 1 out of 100 patients, and in many studies, these cataract surgery complications were not reported at all. In some cases, these complications may occur weeks, months, or even years later.

Possible major cataract surgery complications include, but are not limited to:

Severe infection
    Bleeding
    Swelling
    Inflammation
    Displacement of the implanted lens
    Detachment of the retina
    Perforation or a hole in the eye
    Damage to the cornea
    Reaction to medication or anesthesia.

Depending on the situation, a major cataract surgery complication may require a repeat surgery or may lead to poor vision, including an astigmatism, blurry vision, double vision, glaucoma, or, in extreme cases:

A corneal transplant
    Permanent loss of vision
  2. pika

pika New Member

brenda,

i'm so sorry you had such a bad time with your surgery! praying that you will feel better soon and no more of those complications come your way.

april 11 seems far away. is that to let the antibiotics clear up the infection first?
  3. 139864

139864 New Member

Thank you for your good wihes .

I have no idea why they chose that date , the only thing that I can think is ...when I first went in ..they took my blood pressure .. it was 142 over 84 which isn't so bad .. before I came out they took it again ..it was 180 over 98 after all the flashing lights in my eyes .
    I know they don't operate if it is over 160 ..so I can only assume it is to give my blood pressure time to rejuvenate & next weekend we celebrate Easter
    Thanx again
    Brenda
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

So sorry your eye surgery didn't turn out as well as you hoped. Doctors look for horses when they hear hoofbeats. For CF/FMers they need to look for Zebras! We sure seem to have our unlucky shares of bad things happening to us.

I had a tubal pregnancy eight years after I had my tubes tied. Supposedly, that's got a .004% chance of happening. I also have sarcoidosis that's got an incidence rate of 11 per 100,000 for caucasions. I have also been treated for polycythemia vera which strikes 2.4 per 100,000 people.
  5. 139864

139864 New Member

Thank you ,& you are so right .

The only thing that I am a little thankful for ,is the fact that I know what the causes were of all my disabilities .
    I am not saying that it is the same for everyone ,I realise each of us are different and in very different circumstances .
    I know that I worked with chemicals for many years & after researching the said chemicals ,it is quite obvious that the solvents Trichloroethylene & Trichloroethaneare responsible

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/Profile-Patients-MCS.htm

6. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hun that you are going thru all this.Being 1 out of the 100 doesnt seem fair!!

Hopefully it can be corrected in time, so you no longer go thru this.

Prayers for you!!
    Jordane
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...1 in 20,000 with my Leukemia diagnosis. Don't you wish you had those odds, for example, when playing the lottery and it could work in your favor???!! Jackpot!

Seriously, I do hope that this clears up for you and causes no further trouble---nothing is worse than having a procedure to make something better, only to find it's made it worse! Hopefully it's only temporary, and not a permanent loss of vision.

Prayers going your way that this gets better, Brenda...

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  8. 139864

139864 New Member

Thank you both for your kind words . We are all suffering
    in so many ways ,yet we still try to support each other .
    ((( hugs )))
    Brenda uk
  9. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. It should not be that difficult.

I am like you if something can happen it always does. My husband on the other hand seems to be the 1 in 100 that everything always goes very well for.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am very thankful for his good health and his good luck.

He had the same surgery you did and the only complaint he had was that it was itchy after a couple of days. That is how it should be. It is not fair for you to have so much go wrong.

I hope you feel better very soon. I will be thinking of you. and send you all good wishes.

Suzanne
  10. 139864

139864 New Member

Thank you so much for thinking of me :)

I am happy that your husbands surgery went so well ...I have to admit my eye is feeling much better at the moment No pain ( thank goodness ) but I am still unable to look at bright light/ sunshine , but at least ...I can see

HUGS
    Brenda