Why do I sleep so much

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iggyangel, Aug 15, 2006.

1. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

this drives me crazy, I am feeling OK lately but once I go to bed, IM out for 12-16 hours...
    I guess my body needs it, but someon help me understand I know it comes w/this illness, but does anyone else hibernate like a bear??????!!!!
    Input greatly needed,
    and if there is anything that can help it would be great.
    Blessings
    Iggy
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

This happened to me yesterday. I was busy all weekend and couldn't stay awake yesterday, so I zonked out on the couch.

I know that our bodies are healing while we sleep, butyou probably already know that.

I was very depressed today so I stayed in bed. I think I got up aroung 5:30 PM.

It's 9 pm now and I'm ready to go back to bed!

Good luck in finding answers!

"E"
  3. jole

jole Member

Hi Iggy! Wish I had the answer you're looking for. I don't. But I know about hibernation, so what do you want to know about that??? LOL My life right now is work and sleep. Usually in bed between 6-8, up at 6:30, and sleep all day Wednesday and the weekends. What fun!!!

When yu find the answer, let me know, okay??

Friends~
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

It might have a lot to do with your meds.
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I am the opposite. I cannot hardly sleep. Sounds like your meds are really making you drowsy or you are chronically fatigued.

Kriket
  6. jana15

jana15 New Member

Iggy I don't know why I have to sleep so much but I have learned the hard way that if I try to fight it instead of giving in to it, I make myself a whole lot worse. Fortunately I have a very understanding family and (small) circle of friends who are happy to see me when I'm up to it.

Every now and then I wake up and feel on top of the world but usually I can't wake up before 11am and feel like I have a dreadful flu. I can usually drag myself out of bed for a few hours but need to go back to bed by 8pm. That's on the days that I don't have to take an afternoon nap as well.

I just keep telling myself that this will all be behind me one day and try to stay positive.

Cheer Jana
  7. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

awhile ago, I went off all of my meds.....
    and still had the same problem.....
    so six months later went back on them
    I wish it were that easy.
    blessins,
    Iggy
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I think most of us have sleep issues because we are not getting the restorative sleep that our bodies need. I know that is true for me personally. Here is a quote from a book I read recently.

From “The Fibromyalgia Advocate” by Devin J. Starlanyl MD:
    “Lack of restorative sleep is a major perpetuating factor that must be addressed as soon as possible, because the lack itself brings more muscular aches and even more symptoms to compound our miseries. Too many of us spend too many waking hours in the horizontal state, because of fatigue and inadequate pain control.”

My humble advice - find a sleep remedy (whether prescription or homeopathic) that works for you.

Good luck,
    Kat
  9. petsrme

petsrme Member

Oh Iggy I know how you feel. I can sleep 12 to 16 hours every day. If I don't get at least 10 I feel like heck. If I overdo it such as going on a two hour or more car trip or just going all day, I need to sleep 20 to 24 hours. I am so ashamed of that sometimes. My family just doesn't understand, but my body asks for it and I know it is not laziness. I used to not be like this. I even have found myself dreading going to bed lately. I don't know if I am going through a manic stage (i suspect I am bipolar) or just hate going into that deep sleep that is so hard to awake from. Don't feel alone. I think our bodies tell us what we need. Sometimes it is depression and that is something to be aware of and we need to get counseling, because sleep can be a way of escaping the reality, but for many of us it is that our bodies need the rest.
  10. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I will gothrough bad flare and sleep llike 12 hours after taking a 4 hour nap.Maybe getting up for 2 hours in betweeen.Have you noticed this IS after a flare?I dont know what you take in the day that may cause this, I wasn't doing anything different when I would get like this.It does't happen all the time but maybe 1 week out of the month.So sorry hope I could help.Aslo maybe besides fybro you have chronic Fatigue,I know they are different but I think the same group of illness. Ruthie
  11. cczub

cczub New Member

I wish I had that problem... I'm usually in bed by 7pm but don't get much sleep. I can doze off because I'm sooooo tired but can't stay asleep. My new doctor addressed that issue yesterday and said we have to fix that before we start with anything else. The lack of quality sleep, stage 4 sleep recks havoc on our muscles.

I started Trazodone lat night at 25mg... Didn't notice any better sleep but he wanted to start off low in case I have a reaction to it....

If your sleeping that much your body must need it. Have you been tested for EBV?? When I was much younger and had EBV I slept like that. 12-18 hours at a time.

Good Luck