Why do I suddenly want to eat baby powder?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SweetT, Jun 10, 2008.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I also like baking soda, which is fine and edible. I've been eating baking soda off and on since childhood.

However, lately, I have been having fantasies about pouring baby or body powder on something and both inhaling it and eating it.

Yes, I know that the talc in baby or body powder can cause lung damage, and that is why I've not done it. However, I cannot deny the cravings.

I know the condition is called pica. However, the only time I know of women developing pica is during pregnancy. I don't think I'm pregnant. My husband and I have been using protection. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, which would correspond to my wedding; however, as I said, protection was even used on my wedding night.

Does anyone know what nutrient I could be missing that would make me want to eat powder? Of course, having these dd's mean that I take all kinds of supplements plus try to eat right, so if I'm missing something, my body just must not be processing something right.
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Your craving is more than likely the result of some sort of deficiency and should be evaluated by your doctor IMMEDIATELY. There are many varied cravings; people defiicient in certain minerals actually crave eating things as strange as spray starch! When I was pregnant with my twins, I craved ice and chewed crushed ice non-stop, all day long. I didn't think anything of it, but my doctor did. Apparently, ice cravings are indicative of a vitamin deficiency. I was okay, but nevertheless, it could have been something. Please make sure you check this out.

BTW, I would be interested in knowing your doctor's prognosis on this. Please post and let us now.

3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

you can get pica w/ anemia.

My severe (unresolvable) anemia was first blamed on low iron, then undiagnosed Celiac's.

But. lyme bacteria was destroying the villi in my intestine, causing the nutritional deficiency, and the pica, and the weight loss.

I never knew I had lyme. Not saying you do, but you would be surprised how things get linked in the end.

P.S. With all of your neuro symptoms, you really should rule out lyme with an Igenex lyme western blot.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  4. Toga

Toga Member

That my aunt Viginia would sit and eat huge amounts of white flour when she was pregnant. We both thought it was so strange.

They are both gone now, but today I find out that she must have had pica and/or obviously needed to be on prenatal vitamins. (I don't think she even went to the doctor until almost time to deliver.)

5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I too had a powder fettish, but it was when i was pregnate.

I had this powder from avon and i couldn't get enough of how it smelled!! I had to smell it daily.

Plus i also ate Whole Wheat flour by the spoonfuls, but only the cold stuff i kept in the freezer.

Very strange i know. The flour thing i would guess is either folic or iron defeciency. But i have no idea what the baby powder thing is?????

I know some people have even craved dirt.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That's really interesting. I'd love to know what you find out about this. The baby powder thing and pregnancy would be quite an appropriate coincidence.
    I have heard of pica. Actually had a neighbor years ago who ate dirt. Not just any dirt..it had to have little pea gravel type rocks in it. She said she'd been doing it for a long time. Hers was not tied to pregancy. She also had elephantitis (can't remember the actual medical name for it) I wondered if it was tied to that some way and what she was deficient in. I wonder what ever happened to her.

I can't imagine what her bowel movements were like. =(

Try to fight off your craving..as agreed, inhaling baby powder would not be good!
    Please keep us posted on what you find out!