Why do I wake up after an hour with scary episodes??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Mar 27, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I had a horrible night and now a horrible day. I spent the enitre night in the ER with my boyfriends little sister. No one else was awake at 1:30am so she asked me to take her.

Well we didn't get back to her house until after 7am. I took somewhat of a nap from 8am - 9am and then she was awake making a doctors appointment. SOO I had to get up and take her to see her regular doctor.

I got home at 12:30pm after having been awake for over 24 hours straight. A HUGE no no for CFS. After over doing it and not getting the sleep I NEED I knew I was in for it.

I layed down to finally sleep and wouldn't you know and hour later I woke up abruptly feeling like I was dying. Heart racing, disoriented, feeling like I was going to pass out. Very scary!

Why does this happen? It has happened before to me on occasion. Seems like if I don't get enough sleep then when I do get to sleep sometimes I wake up an hour later (always an hour) with this scary episode.

I am so tired and exhausted! I just want to get some sleep but am just recovering from the episode and am scared to go back to sleep.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Take Care,
    Pam
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

I hven't had quite the same experience, but have come close a few times. Waking up startled, upset, etc. I used to think it was anxiety brought on by a bad dream I couldn't remember. Now I think it is just plain old anxiety.

I shouldn't say "plain old" because it actually isn't. CFS causes brain problems. The cylinders don't click like they should. Or something. It gets worse when I'm extremely tired. Then getting to sleep and staying asleep is a real issue.

It boilds down to we can take just so much. Period.
  3. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

In fact I was thinking about posting this myself. Very often I wake up panicky or angry. If I remember that I had a bad dream then it makes sense to me, a bad dream can effect me all day. But a lot of the time I don't remember dreaming or it will be after napping for only an hour or so. It does seem to be worse if I have had a bad day Fibro wise. It really rattles me and puts me into a funky mood. Sometimes I get overtired...maybe this is it? Not glad to see that you have these problems too, but glad to see I'm not alone with this problem. Hope everyone is having a good day !!! Jackie
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I guess CFS just messes with our brains and gives us weird reactions to things.

Jackie - it is definitely always nice to know that we aren't the only ones :) It really is weird that it is always after about an hour or so of sleep that this happens.

I wonder what it is at that hour point that makes our bodies or brains spaz out. It is such an awful experience. I too never remember any dream or anything.

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is almost always after I haven't gotten enough sleep. It has happened a couple of times for seemingly no reason but normally it is when I am sleep deprived.

It is weird that it seems to be a reaction to not getting enough sleep but then when I am finally trying to sleep or nap I have a bad reaction.

Very strange. I also saw something that said it could be hypoglycemia but I am not sure about that.

These illnesses are so frustrating and STRANGE aren't they!

Thanks,
    Pam
  5. pianomoe

pianomoe New Member

I had been having horrible nightmares too!
    So bad, my husband had to keep waking me from screaming in my sleep!
    This sure isn't restful sleep!
    Started melatonin 2 weeks ago and no more nightmares!!
    Dreams are very different/but not scary!
    One night last week, I forgot the melatonin and had horrible nightmares that night too!
    Works for me. The melatonin helps me wake up feeling more rested too!
    Pianomoe
  6. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

oh! this just started happening to me and I thought I was losing my last marble! It sometimes happens when I'm just drifting off too (or maybe it seems that way, but it's been longer than it seems?) it's almost like I can't breathe, but I am breathing. I kind of remember feeling this way years ago when I was going through a really bad time emotionally...long before I got sick. It is so scary and there's no really good way to explain it. I hope you get some rest. I am sorry you are going through this, but I feel better that I am not the only one.
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

You've described what happens to me very closely!!

It's usally after some stress, or sometimes after a "good day" and i did too much, and many, many times before my period.

I've come to think it's from two things, #1, hormones really out of whack.
    #2 The adrenals, It's like i get soooooo tired that i'm shutting down, litterly, Then BAM the adrenals kick into overdrive, to compensate, when i do let down and relax or sleep.

Like you, I've noticed that hour thing too.

Hugs,
    Misty
    I have no answer? I don't believe it's an anxiety attack, i believe it's a disfunctioning body that then causes anxiety. If that makes sense??

Hey, you know what my dr. told me after giving me the # for a pyscholigist, "exercise"! LOLOL!!

Complete lack of understanding and knowlegde there!
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I finally did get a good nights sleep last night. It was definitely needed. I am still in a crash from the all nighter though. I am completely worn down still and just feel weak and yucky. I hope to just lay on the couch and rest today.

I really do think that the scary sleeping episodes are some sort of reaction to too much stress on the body. Morningsonshine had some good theories.

It seems that no matter how strange of a symptoms someone has there always seems to be someone else on this board with the same thing.

Even if we can't figure out why it happens at least we can take comfort in that we are not alone.

Prickles thank you for your concern. And boyfriends sister is ok.

Oh and Morningsonshine....I too have gotten the pyscholigist AND the exercise suggestions by doctors. Boy aren't some doctors a help LOL!

Thanks Everyone!
    Pam
  9. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

You guys sound as if you might be experiencing sleep paralysis. I have that occassionally and it is pretty scary. What happens is when we are in the deep part of sleep our bodies are actually paralysed. It is a normal part of sleep and we are not meant to wake up when we are in that phase. But, sometimes we do and when that happens we are becoming aware of being awake and at the same time we can't move yet and feel as though we can't breath. For me I get to a point when I am actually trying to scream for help then I bolt up right in bed and suck in a huge breath of air. My husband usually tells me I had a bad dream but I mentioned this to my doc and he told me what it was. He also told me it is common among people with sleep disorders such as narcolepsy or apnea.
  10. jakeg

jakeg New Member

This happens to me occasionally, but I seem to wake up more disoriented lately and wander if this is the same thing or just another symptom of fibro.

I don't recall anybody posting waking up and being disoriented, I mean like where am I how did I get here type of disorientation.
  11. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi jakeg,

My feeling of disoriented is not a where am I and what am I doing here feeling. Mine is more of an unsettled weird feeling. Not quite sure how to describe it.

I wake up and my heart is racing and I feel lousy and like I am about to pass out. My unsettled feeling may be more of a what is going on feeling since I am abruptly feeling so awful. I am not sure. It is weird. Not sure how to describe it. I know where I am though.

So I am not sure if it is the same thing for you or not.

None of it is much fun though is it.

Take Care,
    Pam
  12. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I wake up like that every morning for past 4 years! The more abruptly I am woken the worse it is and lasts for an hour before I can get up. Cause I am shaking so bad. I am finally being sent to a teaching hospital neruo dept. where there are dozens of neuros just waiting to correctly dx me! lol. just gettinig a little loopy here. I hope to God they can figure it out cause no one else can! I have been on this sick merry go round for years. Mine is in the morning though.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]