Why do posts go "POOF"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 12, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Just a quick question:

Why is it that sometimes, I write a post or a response, only to have it disappear in post-limbo, never to be seen again?

This has only happened a few times, but i was too peeved to try again & re-type the whole thing.

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I noticed yesterday that they seemed to be having problems with the site. I had typed a long response on the "to do" thread and it wouldn't post. So I copied it and was able to paste it in today.

Doesn't happen often, but it does happen....

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

This happens for me EVERY time I post, ever since the new board began. I hardly ever post here anymore, because of all the hassles, except on the Lost thread. Most of my posts are pretty long, and I think that has something to do with it. On the rare occasions I post something short, they usually go through. So check to see if it only happens when you type longer posts.

Is it still there when you hit the back button?

I am used to it by now but here's what I do. I always highlight and copy what I typed. Then when I hit the submit button, it takes me to some all white error page. I hit the back button twice, which puts me back at the sign in page. I sign in again, paste what I copied and submit. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.

It's like this site won't keep you signed in for more than a few minutes.

The other problem I always have is if I hit reply to any post except the first one, my message ends up on some disjointed alternate thread. It will end up being the post I replied to and mine, all by themselves, on an entirely different board. So I have to plan for that too, and always scroll back up to the original post and reply to it.

Edited to add: Apparently THIS message was short enough to make it through![This Message was Edited on 05/13/2009]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

This is a constant problem in the world of cyber space. I believe to understand this
    phenomenon, it is helpful to have mastered the basic concepts of quantum mechanics.
    One should also keep in mind the Heisenburg Principle.

Or, as Jame Burke put it, "Now we know that we shall never know."

Here's something I do which minimizes the poofiness, but does not eliminate it.

Type any long message in your mailbox. Then copy it so you can cut and paste.

Open another window and go to the board. Complete the cut and paste maneuver.

Once you know the message is safely posted, you can go back and erase or save
    the message in the mail box.

Ironically, as I was typing this, a pop up advised my connection had been severed or
    some goofy thing. Ce las computers!

Good luck

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am thinking that possibly sometimes it has something to do with the timing issue of the posts. If the posts are long, not sure of the amount of time timetable, many times when I push to submit it disappears never to be seen again.

I am GUESSING that sometimes it MAY have to do with the posts being "timed out". I have been trying lately to do shorter posts even if it is like vol 1 and Vol 2 etc, as Rock does. Since I have been doing that it hasn't been having it as much.

I am not good at the cutting and pasting things so I haven't been doing that.

6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm glad it's not just me. I thought maybe the computer goblins were after me again! LOL!
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I think also that sometimes I will write a post and then (brain fog) will forget to hit the submit button!!!! P