Why do u think so many women have this disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by STML, Aug 25, 2006.

1. STML

STML New Member

Have just read this article on somatoform disorders ( in the uk thats what m.e. is being treated in clinics as (i.e. under psychiatry) and anxiety disorders that says that mainly women get them, I guess they are saying women are more neurotic or somethin than men, not sure but actually having this disease instinct tells me its a physical base, well thats my opinion but understand those who disagree

anyway why do u guys think more women get this based on a physical cause, its interesting to think it, do u think its a hormone thing, its related mainly to female hormones,etc?
    thanks STMLx
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

URGHHH! So sick of this being viewed as psychosamatic, a woman's histeria, ect.

But here's my thought. I do believe it may have something to do with our hormones as women. Also believe that since most of us women put everyone's needs in front of our own, we may be compromising our own immune system.

Just my thoughts....
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

...while men are babies at home, they won't go to a doctor unless they're dying.

Sorry guys! I couldn't resist! LOL

Actually I think it's because women go through so much physical abuse. You have your crimes...rape, assault, etc. (because we are easier to hurt ie: the "weaker" sex). Then you have menstruation, pregnancy, labor and childbirth. Those things are tough on a woman's body.

There's more, but you get the idea...and i have fibrofog right now. LOL

God Bless.
  4. BUT I think one thing is for sure, as a woman we put ourselves last. OVERDUEING everything, doing, doing, for everyone but ourselves ,until it takes its toll on our bodies. JMO
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I think it must be because of a more complex hormonal and reproductive system, there is more for whatever causes this to tamper w/. If it is genetic, then women are more susceptible.

I don't think it is because of what we do, or overdo, or what we've been through. There is still the fact that women live longer than men. We must be overall tough enough to compensate for all we go through if we live longer despite it all.

Jeanne
  6. STML

STML New Member

never even thought about the load us women carry,
    seem to have been a bit more fortunate than some of u - no abuse, happy childhood, but am only 26 suppose but do agree that men are quite self- obsessed naturally (sorry men on the board,your not all like that) and therefore get all there probs out on us, while we have to carry ours a lot more,

a clinic on harley street london, top private, told me that she had to be frank and say m.e. people tend to be highly strung and the first state consultant i saw said if this was a man hed just get on with it! do u think thats how they see it? oh dear

thanks for responses guys hope ya on good day,
    stmlx
  7. Nimzovich76

Nimzovich76 New Member

I agree, but I also think that women are more predisposed for CFS/Fibro Lyme and mental disorders. This is genetic, if anybody is at fault is god.
  8. hartogold

hartogold New Member

In my opinion women carry the weight of the world their shoulders. Even though we are very strong, it has made us more suspectable to pain, disease, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

God love and take care of us.
    Sandy
  9. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

women of all species feel pain more acutely. I think it's a genetic thing. hormones, neurotransmitters all of it play into it.
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think it has to do with physiological differences. A Seattle study show the prevalence to be 59% women. I read something great, I forgot where (FOOOGGGGG!) about the neurological differences that is the cause of this.

In other words there's no need to feel "bad". MS and Lupus is more common in women too, and MS is more common in Scandiavians which I am (not perticularly insulting, just a gene thing).

I think we can relax about this and let the researchers do their job, we'll find out why soon enough.
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

I think that women get more of these illnesses because of the hormonal changes we go through on a monthly basis. This process can produce children, but it can also produce many other problems. Think about it...we can absorb a a part of a man and produce a human being. Think of the women who have problems with their bodies thinking that the fetus is an infection...to be attacked. This is what I believe causes many miscarriages...also read that many women are pregnant and have a miscarriage prior to even missing their first period.

Ingrid
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Was it Mao who said Women Hold Up Half the Sky? No joke as I think he vastly underestimated us.

I think it is how our immune systems & hormones work in combination with who we are. Stress, for certain can be a problem & our strength (attempt to do too much) can be turned into our weakness (illness) that others do not experience.

I think our bodies interact with viruses different than male bodies. Science has yet to figure it all out. Maybe not in our lifetime, but in the lives of the next generations.