Why Do We Have Anxiety/Depression With This DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jan 8, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was just wondering why some of us have depression and anxiety with this DD and others not..I have CFS and I am sure I could cope if it wasn't for the horrible anxiety/depression..

My doctor says its two different diseases but I never had anxiety/depression like I do now until after CFS..

I don't think my depression/anxiety comes from not being the person I use to be or not being able to do like I once did..Oh sure this bothers me but I try to stay positive and be thankful for what I can do..

Its like something just takes over my mind when I have these bouts of depression or whatever. I feel so stange in the head like I am going crazy and no control..I live with anxiety 24/7 but when this symptom hits its horrible..like I am ready for the mental ward..not sucidial but just a weird head feeling, moody, want to cry, scream and can't stand to be around anyone or go anywhere..
    It is such a weird unexplainable feeling..

The xanax has little effect on this feeling..its like I am a different person..and I am..When I don't have this feeling then I can look on the bright side of things.It seems to have a pattern and will leave only to return and I can't figure out why...Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Wish I was able to describe it better...

My doctor isn't any help, I think she thinks I am a basket case...

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. AngieSW

AngieSW New Member

greatgran,
    I can relate to your feelings of depression and anxiety. They used to be very cyclic for me before my hysterectomy. If I was in a flare, they would be much worse. Presently, I am in the middle of a flare ... I can feel myself getting anxious and depressed again, but this relates only to the fibro and how it effects my life. I have great plans for my future, but I get discouraged because the dd is so unpredictable that planning things becomes an exercise in futility. I feel like my body is betraying me.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  3. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I didn't suffer from depression either. I could feel my self falling into a deep state of depression because of the pain. Every single day I woke up to more pain. I started thinking I would rather be in a forever coma than deal with this pain. So there's my depression thought. Anxiety hasn't ever been a problem with me. I've always been calm in most situations. I was always the one to keep my cool, but I now am also a basket case. I started having panic attacks about 3 months after the symptoms of Fibro came on. Now I am a nervous wreck all the time. I can't explain it at all. My doc says you're too young to fall apart like this! What does that suspose to mean???????
    I do feel like my whole world is crumbling. I can't control anything and that makes me more anxious. Oh well I can't explain any of this. I'll look back for explanations.
    Angela
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

bump please
  5. petsrme

petsrme Member

Greatgran my answer and question would be HOW COULD WE NOT HAVE DEPRESSION? I know that sounds overdramatic, but I really mean it.

I know some don't have depression with it and I am so glad for them. I think that it just causes depression with a buildup. It also has a lot to do with chemicals in the brain.

My depression comes from my chemical tendency to get it and the other buildups...

Financial problems

loss of self esteem due to not working

creditors calling

family not understanding

doctors not understanding

not being able to do as much

dirty house after having a spotless home

weight gain

Loss of intimacy with husband

losing family and friends due to their criticisms

Constant pain

constant fatigue

one diagnosis after another

no diagnosis

These things all add up to make a person very depressed. Add chemical imbalance and it will pack a doozy.

I think this has so much to do with why so many of us suffer from depression. Those who are fortunate enough not to get it probably don't have the imbalance or genetics that may add to it. They may also be able to deal with those stressors better.

It is just a sad merry go round that keeps on going and contributing to it.

Thanks for the good post. It was very thought provoking.
  6. petsrme

petsrme Member

Lord Greatgran, I am so absent minded I forgot to mention the most important things I meant to. I read your post and meant to tell you that it does sound like you are handling the stress from your DD good and that your depression sounds like it is definitely chemical. It also sounds like you might have some Bipolar tendencies. The cycles of depression will come and go for no apparant reason. They can sometimes be exacerbated by stressors, but don't have to be. I think I am bipolar. You may need to get on a different antidepressant. Some will work and some won't. For me right now PAxil seems to be doing great. If I go off of it I will start bawling for no reason. I have forgotten to take it a few times and ran out for a few days and didn't even realize it. I then will find myself cycling depression and mania and not know why. I have realized now I can't miss my doses. Talk to your doctor about it and maybe they can find something that works for you. Best wishes.
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your input..Its so good to have you to vent to and know you can relate..

Do any of you take antidepressants? I haven't been able to tolerate them but feel that it is time to give them another try..My husband is so against them..

After reading the post on magnesium, I am going to up my dosage and see what happens..Last night I took a double dose and I seemed to calm down somewhat..Will just have to wait and see..

Thanks so much and God BLess,
    greatgran
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you for your reply..I do think I need an antidepressant but haven't found any that I can tolerate..I have been thinking of try just a pinch of one and build myself up to where I can function while taking them..

My doctor thinks I might suffer from PTSD
    but not bipolar..Looking back when I have these feelings things have happened to cause me a lot more stress..heck, all I know is that its awful and guess I don't handle it very well...

So glad the Paxil works for you,

9. petsrme

petsrme Member

Gran, I thought xanax was an antidepressant. That's why I said that. I am such a nut. LOL! I would say that antidepressants are just as safe as xanax. Just tell your husband that they are basically the same. Antid's build up in your system and help your brain chemicals stabilize. xanax kind of is a quick fix that is probably more mood altering at the moment. You would probably benefit more from the antid's. You kind of have to try a few to figure out which help you. I don't know a lot about them, but I will tell you my two experiences.

Wellbutrin is one and it doesn't usually cause weight gain. It is supposed to cause weight loss. It also is supposed to help with sex life and not cause sex problems.

Paxil makes you a little drowsy and tired and is supposed to cause sexual desire decrease and can cause weight gain. I have been taking it since oct 2004 and my sex drive is same; Not great, but not bad. I haven't gained any weight. I have lost it. It seems to be helping me a lot with depression.

My sis in law is taking lexapro I think and she loves it. She has lost a bunch of weight exercising so I think she is fine and she says it has helped her depresion.

I hope you find somehting to help you.
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

I just read your bio..and you said you were from western NC..I am from western VA right on the NC line..are we neighbors?
    If so do you have a good CFS/FM doctor near by..I did go to Winston-Salem to the Baptist Hospital to see the rheumy and my psych was in Winston but the rheumy wasn't very helpful and since I have agoraphobia with the fatigue its so hard for me to go out of town..I am from a small town by the name of Galax, VA, hope I am allowed to say that...

Would love a good doc close...

greatgran
  11. petsrme

petsrme Member

Gran, I live in Wilkes about an hour from sparta which is right on the border of VA. I think Galax is pretty close. I used to go to Winston to a rheumy, dr ORourke. He wasn't helpful at all. That was a long time ago. I now go to statesville to dr wodecki. It is about 30 minutes from me and about 1 hour and 30 from sparta. I am not sure how far from Galax. I also have agoraphopia. I am afraid to talk on the phone and to see people. I acutally have not been to my rheumy in over a year because of this problem. I last went to my regular doctor back in the spring. I am supposed to go much more often, but I just am too afraid to go.

I hope you can find a doctor you like and find something to help you. It is nice to know that people are so close to me.
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hi neighbor, I am only about 25 minuted from Sparta and about hour and 30 minutes from Statesville..

Did you develope agoraphobia after or before this illness? I am ok around here but to go out of town scares me..I haven't been futher than 45 minutes away in over 2 years.

My grandson is in college about 3 hrs away and I am determined to go see him..Not sure when and will have to get someone to go with me but he is educating himself without any help at all and made the dean's list..I am so proud of him I have to get there..His mom hasn't even been to see him and his dad is dead..He is going to Liberty UA in Lynchburg so pray for me that I can make it...

Thanks for all your post.
    phyl, greatgran
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Is there a test that checks your seretonin levels? I certainly don't sleep well, so my brain chemicals are probably all lacking in seretonia..

I don't suffer with pain like most of you with fm do but the fatigue and depression gets me..

I do think I would benefit from an antidepressant and may try some zoloft tonight, if I can get up the nerve..I am also med phobic...Now you see why docs hate to see me..If I try the ad I will start with just a speck and work my way up..

I did go to the rec center today and did a short walk around the track and talked to the instructor about water exercise..He recommened the arthritis class..and said he would start me out slowly with about 5 to 10 minutes then see how I do.. May give it a try to help boost the brain chemicals..

Thanks and Have a Great Day,
    greatgran
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Sounds like you have more of an anxiety problem too, and most ad's don't work for that. Zoloft and Paxil sometimes have some success w/ it and most will make it worse.

I'd highly recommend St. John's Wort. It's an herb we've all heard of, recently touted as an ad, but it's not really. It has some mild ad action, but is actually better for anxiety. It has other stronger benefits, but unfortunately we only hear of it as an ad in N. America, but that's because they have a limited knowledge of the extent of its medicinal qualities. It boosts the immune system, and can be used to treat neuralgia pain from shingles.

It has helped me greatly w/ PMS and period cramps, it's alos reduced my pain somewhat. It really helped me sleep at first too, but that wore off after mths when my body adjusted. I try to stay on it less than half a year, since herbal benefits where off if you take them too long, it's best to stagger them. So for me, I save it for fall/winter when I have SAD. I'm weaning off it now, as my light therapy lamp and adrenal and glandulars are working so well.

Jeanne
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

With me I think it is the pain. The constant unrelenting pain! Who wouldn't be depressed?!?

If I could escape the pain, even for one day, I would be the happiest woman in the world!

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  16. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

the last few sentences of your initial post...where you mention a PATTERN and how it seems to come from nowhere and you are simply UNABLE to look at bright side.

I don't ordinarily suffer from clinical depression (situational yes, not clinical). I think I know what they mean by CLINICAL because that was surely what I experienced as part of PMS during my pre-menopausal days.

Out-of-the blue...I would get SLAMMED by an enormous black cloud...a bottomless pitt. Things that seemed fun and intriguing to me a few hours ago would now be of totally no interest. I could see a silver-lining NOWHERE. I had no idea why people lived! Well, I did live of course, and eventually I recognized that when that cloud fell on me...then I knew I was due for my period (I never had to use a calendar!).

It might last a day or two and then would seem to lift magically when my period started. Sometimes I knew my period had started before I was even aware of bleeding because the "cloud-lifting" was so dramatic. I learned to ride it out and ocassionally even "enjoy" wallowing in it because I knew it wasn't permanent. I learned a lot about how much of our mood is controlled by hormones and chemicals.

I hope you get some help. To be stuck in that place for any longer than a couple days a month would be truly dreadful. Blessings.