Why do you erase my progress on chiari surgery, these folks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cheryl, Sep 23, 2002.

1. cheryl

cheryl New Member

have a right to know all options and mistakes made in diagnosing Fm and the possible cures. Go to www//fibromyhelp.com or Just type in Chiari Malformation

cheryl

2. cheryl

cheryl New Member

have a right to know all options and mistakes made in diagnosing Fm and the possible cures. Go to www//fibromyhelp.com or Just type in Chiari Malformation

cheryl

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Neither Shirl nor I have been erasing your posts. If you use the search feature, your posts are there.

Love, Mikie
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I'm glad you're surgery went well. I haven't been on the board in awhile, but I recently found out that I have a mild case of chiari. I had an MRI done and I'm at 4mm, so I really don't know if my symptoms are from that or not. I'd hate to have the surgery and find out that it wasn't neccessary and that my symptoms were still there. I've been having a lot of numbness in addition to my other FMS and CFS symptoms so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. How many millimeters were you? Would you do the surgery over if you had to? Was it hard to find someone to do the surgery for you? I know a lot of neurologists and neurosurgeons aren't keen on doing the surgery and don't believe in it. Just wondering what I should do, wait until it gets worse or what????

Thanks for your post.................~LISA
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have all the symptoms of Chiari, & I even have a small increase of fluid on the brain :( But here in Australia the docs & neuro's aren't interested.
    I've done extensive self research into Chiari & was even on a 2 e-mail lists. I posted my symptom list & my MRI results to the lists & was urged to get reassesed.
    Personally I have come to the conclussion for myself, that surgery would at the best be a temporary relief. I have had these symptoms for 11 years now & it's not going to get rid of them. At best for a little while it might stop new ones forming.
    Of all the cases I have read about (& I've read alot believe you me,) the majority of people relapse, need more surgery, or end up with more symptoms than what they started with.
    On top of that they have new scary symptoms & a hole in the back of their head. And doctors telling them that there is 'nothing more that can be done'.
    I'm not saying there aren't successful cases, I have read of & have exchanged e-mails with people that are leading wonderful lives, with a quality they didn't have before.
    But for me, I don't want a temporary fix.
    This is not to bag you, I really hope that the surgery is sucessful for you & that you have enjoy a good quality of life, as I am sure many do post-op.
    I didn't see your other post, but I might go have a look for it now.

Lease