Why does everyone say God Bless instead of God Bless You?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by kholmes, Jul 9, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Have you noticed this? Many people, especially in the media or in the public eye, will say "God bless." One of our local TV news anchormen does this every morning. But I hear people saying, "God bless YOU," less frequently these days.

Is this just a style of speech or popular saying, does it sound more secular somehow, or does it reflect a kind of backing off from what was once a very strong statement, one expressing a desire for God to bless a group of people or someone in particular?

Anyway, God bless YOU this weekend.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 07/09/2006]
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

God Bless You Too!

Kellyann
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

But would it be because they are trying to please different religions and that God Bless is a bit kinder to the people at large?

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That could be it, but then you'd think they would take "God" out instead of "you"!

Kholmes
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Kholmes,
    Well if one is religious, they would believe in God, even if they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. I guess that was what I was referring to.

As I was growing up my parents said "God Bless" or "God Bless You" in German, which I can't spell the word. So it was in a way that it sounded better in a foreign language to them. I actually don't how what the English translation is.

I have also heard some people just say "Bless you" and leave the God out entirely.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. kgangel

kgangel New Member

I guess I have not really noticed that. I know I always say

God bless you

and so I say God Bless You too!!

hugs,
    kgangel
  7. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I say God bless you all....love, me!

"God bless" Anyway, I think maybe it is because we are abbreviating all things...like emailease, example, FYI,LOL,ROFLMAO...so God bless takes care of bestowing God's love to all,everything,
    and everyone.
    I think it is just easy to say, not in any way lesser in meaning or love.

(As for God bless you when someone sneezes...I say it and I think the saying is because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a brief period...this is what God bless you is for, your safety and good health.)

I say it again, God bless all of you!!!!!~Stacey
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  8. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

Here is another way to look at it.

I don't think people are being lazy. Rather maybe instead of just blessing YOU they are saying God Bless to you and meaning God Bless to everything in your life?

I don't know? Personally and this is just MY opinion but I live in the bible belt BIG TIME so to me when someone needs ot convince me that they are a christian I know something is up.

Does that make sense?

For instance when I was pregnant we had a situation with some loose dogs running around in our neighborhood. Well when we finally contacted the owner who lived a mile down the road he came to pick them up and he seemed genuinely nice.

Well as he was getting in the car the dog seemed kind of scared of him and I think he caught the look on my face and he kind of bowed and said "ma'am, I am a good Christian Man!".

I was so startled and smiled and said, "okay". Like where in the heck did that come from??? Because really I have no idea but he then got the dog and left. Both my husband and I looked at each other and my husband said "uh oh, here we go!"

I said there is something fishy about that guy! And there was too! Several situations later with the dogs and we found out that he is a slime ball who abuses animals.

So my point to my story and now I really don't have any idea why I even told it at this point (!LOL!) is that some people feel they need to prove how christian they are when they really aren't.

So my theory or now theories are that when someone says God Bless instead of God Bless You they are either meaning that they are wanting a blessing for everything in your life or that they just don't know what the heck they are talking about! LOL

I completely lost my track! My mind is gone now! I am in pretty significant pain today (endometriosis pain) so I am having a hard time concentrating.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on in your post here!

(((HUGS)))

kate
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I get what you're saying about "God bless" as a more general blessing.

Interesting story, too! I hope the "Christian" man wasn't brutally mistreating his dogs.

Didn't Gandhi say you can tell a lot about a country by the way it treats its animals? I think the same is true of people!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]