Why Does Fibro Cause So Many Migraines???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moonchild1970, Apr 20, 2006.

1. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

I get them every day. Each morning until I go to bed, this is h***!!
  2. srh

srh New Member

I don't know why. But I get them too. Everyday, all day long.

Probable because of the neurotransmitters in our brain that work overtime to give us all the pain in the first place!!
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Moonchild,

I had been suffering with migraines for the past 6 months or so. They actually got worse before they got better. It was unbearable.

The first doctor put me on Topamax. I now call that stuff, Dope a Max. The drug didn't do well by me. My headaches intensified. My cognitive skills were clogged and not functioning properly. Life was getting worse, headaches and body pain!

I gradually stopped that medicine and went to a different neurologist. Now I take Atenolol once a day. My migraines have gone away! I am so HAPPY now. I still have my other fibro pain, but NO MORE INTENSE & UNBEARABLE headaches.

Wishing you RELIEF. Different medications work differently for different people. Good luck, feeling better.

Peace,
    Cindy
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Be aware that one of the side effects of this drug is to lower blood pressure - not good for those who already suffer from low BP.

Cheers
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Because I have diabetes I take a calcium channel blocker. Doc told me beta blockers can make diabetes worse. I went from 2-3 migraines a week to about 3-4 a year. And if I get one, I take an Imitrex injection.
  6. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

yeah I have such low bp not a good med for me.
  7. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Have had migraines off and on most of my life,but have gotten a lot worse.More intense and more often.I take zomig
    and inderol.Would take cyinide(sp?) if it helped.
    hugs moonchild1970
    jordane
  8. MnLady

MnLady New Member

I used to get migraines that literally lasted for months at a time. When I stopped working they lessened to about three or four migraines a week with just a bad headache on the non-migraine days.

What helped me the most was totally eliminating all caffeine, including that found in OTC migraine medications. I also limit how much food I eat with preservatives and such in it.

I used to think caffeine was what gave me a slight bit of relief so was shocked to find it was actually adding to the number of migraines I was having.

For anyone here with migraines, I wish you relief. I know how awful life is with them.
  9. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Propranolol helped with mine at first...then it stopped. Topamax helped for a while...then it stopped. Now I'm taking Neurontin for the fibro and it seems to be helping with the migraines as well. Who knows why or how these things work and then stop working? It's a mystery to me.

This much I know - I will never go anywhere without some Zomig and Vicodin in my purse, just in case I get slammed by a migraine. There's just no telling when or where they will strike, how long they will last, how bad they will be, or what they will respond to. I can only hope that whatever hits will respond to one of those two meds. Thankfully, most of my migraines do. :)

10. noodle11

noodle11 New Member

I take Axert when I get a migraine. It either knocks it out in 30 minutes or alleviates the pain enough that it is bearable enough for me to keep working. The best thing about this drug is that it even works if you take it long after the headache starts. Most migraine meds you have to take at the onset. I get a lot of headaches, so I can not usually tell at the onset if it's going to be a migraine.
  11. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Noodle~ You said you wouldn't go anywhere without Vicodin;

I get a lot of headaches/migraines too, and was just wondering if this for actual migraine relief... I guess i'm trying to ask, if your vicodin was PX for your migraines or just general pain relief!?

Thanks~
    TM~