Why does Fibromyalgia cause IBS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stix, Aug 24, 2002.

1. stix

stix New Member

Can someone please explain why fibromyalgia causes IBS? I don't understand the connection.

Joy
  2. stix

stix New Member

Can someone please explain why fibromyalgia causes IBS? I don't understand the connection.

Joy
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Where is your source? I had IBS begin in my late twenties and still have it today.

I think IBS is one of those syndromes often associated with FMS. I also have wondered if men are as plagued with it as we females. CactusLil'
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have IBS, but did seem to have Fibro first, I always contributed it to poor eating habits and the pain pills and antibotics I took years ago.

As long as I am careful what I eat, take Noni juice, Aloe Vera juice and take probotics and eat yogurt often, I seem to have it under control.

As Lil said, it is probably an illness on its own, it just seems like a lot of us with FM/CFS also have IBS.

If you go to the 'Community' link on the top, right hand side of this board and type in IBS, they have some great articles on it, and its connection to FM/CFS.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2002]
  5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

my medications, I'm pretty sure. I was on pain meds/muscle relaxer's before they finally diagnosed me with FM/CFS, and the IBS started shortly after the meds. So, that's what I attribute mine to. Doctor's have never told me any different, or offered anything for it. So I try to eat salads 3x/wk when in the C part of it, and don't eat much of anything when I'm in the D part.

Regina
  6. roro

roro New Member

IBS is listed as one of the symptoms of CFS. So to me that means the CFS caused the IBS. I had the CFS first, didnt get IBS until a few years ago.
  7. stix

stix New Member

I guess I should say that my own personal experience with being diagnosed with IBS is that it seems to just be a "catch all" for doctors who don't want to take the time to truly "diagnose". I wonder sometimes if the same is true for a diagnosis of fibromyalgia? The two seem to be so intertwined in the research. I can't quote from anyone source, CactusLil. Most of my research has been on the internet and other medical boards.

It seems that everyone that I have known personally who had the diagnosis of fibromyalgia has also been told that they had IBS. Several within our local support group have recently been given "corrected diagnosis" since with much more serious consequences.

I suppose I shouldn't have said "caused". I was really just curious as to how pervasive the diagnosis of IBS is along with a diagnosis of CFS or fibromyalgia.

Joy