why does fm cripple our lives?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

When dx. with fm it is a mystery every moment.The pain get worse then better then worse than ever.

Why can't there be a solution to this that would prevent us from needing canes,wheelchairs or scooters?

Today I am scared.Pain more than I can handle.Raynauds is acting up and stuff at home is not the best.

Right now I am really down and hurting and probably over emotional right now.But just looking at the post of how many of us need assitance just scares me especially right now when my pain is unbearable.

Sheila
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I know how you feel. When I get really tight in my neck and shoulder's I get dizzy. That is so scarey, because 2 times I got dizzy, I stayed that way for 2 months!
    Please try to relax,
    take a few deep cleasning breaths,
    if you pray or meditiate do that,
    watch something you enjoy on t.v.
    or listen to a book on tape
    take a bath (if you can, I can't yet)
    talk to a good friend
    think of things and people you love
    know the pain will eventually subside ( this too shall pass:)
    take your meds
    know I will pray for you!:)
    I hope some of this helps.
    I get scared too sometimes, but all that does is make us hurt more, so try to relax as best you can.:)
    Take care.
    Claudia
  3. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I do personally use a cane WHEN I NEED IT. When I am in excruciating pain and have to hold on to things in order to get around because I have a tendency to fall to one side when I am like that I chose to start using a cane. I do not use it every day by any means or even once a week for that matter... Just when I need it.

This year I have not used it any more than I did last year or the year before... I only use it when it is beneficial to me to help me get around... it is better than being totally dependant on someone else to do things for me.

I think it is difficult for some of the people with newer diagnosis to read some of the posts of the worst case scenarios. It is very scary to read that you may become as bad off as some of the others, but the likelihood is you will not.

I know a few people who have been helped greatly by exercise and medications, others who have had great luck with supplements, others who have been helped by diet alone.
    My cousin, is on a macrobiotic diet, exercises daily, works full time and goes to college and raises her child. She seems to be doing alright... There are days when she pushes herself too much and has to rest a little more than usual, but she gets by.

Not all will have to take narcotics and use assistive devices.

Not all will be bed bound or house bound by these DD.

Even if we are at one point that does not mean that it will last forever.

When I am in a flare, all I think about is that this is fleeting. It may be over in a day, it may take a month or a year, but it will get better. All I can do is do what I can to take care of myself.

Blessings
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I want to say belated "Happy Birthday" to you also!

First...I am so very sorry that this is such a bad day sweetie!

I wish that our lives could be easier with this pain and all the other stuff that causes us to be down. But, I will just say how I get through it.

We never know how we will feel from day to day....sometimes minute to minute.

I try to simplify my life as much as possible. That is the only way that I can deal with it.

I had to make so many changes in my life. I was a type A personality. I was never still. I was always working, doing something for someone else...and truly enjoyed it! It was VERY hard to change. I carried guilt for so long.

Now, I just have to take it a day at a time.
    Don't be afraid to say that you just have to go to bed.

And we are hear to listen...that always helps!!

P.S. I didn't mean to sound negative. There will be days when we can do things and enjoy our lives...it is just we have to adjust to our bodies.

With my love..........Mari
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2006]
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I turned 50 yesterday and see that you turned 40 on Monday. Happy Birthday.

I can identify with how you feel. I, like you, have entered into a new decade and I think it makes us worry and wonder how we are going to make it through another one.

Ten years ago, I was a happy, engaged, healthy Mom of two kids in school to become a computer programmer. I loved life and learning.

Now, I have a wonderful supportive husband, two great kids and three grandchildren and a great job that I can still do. And LOTS of pain.

I think maybe, because of our illness, we are struggling with the new decade thought. We will get by you know. We just have to get out of the funk our birthday's have put us in.

I'm with you.....take care of yourself and make you number 1.

Regards,

EIleen.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

SHEILA i POSTED TODAY, PROBABLY PAGES BACK NOW ABOUT A GREAT ARTICLE RE PAIN you may find it helpful to flip back and read this.

Although we are in pain, we do have some leeway re it being totally crippling. I do think the healthier we try to eat and the more we can keep active, the better we are. HOWEVER having said that, there are people here who are in so much pain and have comorbid conditions they cannot do this.

Just give yourself a wonderful present by saying:

I will love myself no matter the pain
    I have the right to cry and be angry, but I will not let my anger own me, I will own my anger

I too, get the same pains as you know and it drives me nuts esp. with the dizzy feeling. I DO think you need to find a better doctor who can relaly look at that shoulder and neck again.

Feel better sooner.

Love Anne C

[ advertisement ]