Why does the Rheumy always asks if you have sores in your mouth?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beth37, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

Hi,I was just wondering if anyone had thier Rheumy ask them if they had sores on thier mouth,if so does anyone know why they ask this? I guess I should have asked him,but I didn't and I was just sitting here wondering about it.Beth
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I think it's an autoimmune thing they're looking for. I don't know, but your right, out of the 4 questions they only ask you, that certainly seems to be one of them.

~LISA
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Lupus and other autoimmune diseases often display this type of symptom. I have nasal and oral sores and that was part of my diagnosis.
    Kady
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Sores inside the mouth and on the tongue can also be caused by thrush, a fungal candida infection. Candida infections in the gut are common as well.
    Also sores on and in the mouth can be a symptom of herpes.
    Each would be neccessary to know for your treatment.
    LL
  5. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

I have gotten thrush a few times-has to do with too many antibiotics and a break-down of the immune system-can be lots of certain foods also. I have had it in my stomach area-feels bad. Nystatin uusally helps. You swish and swallow it. Not a fun time.
  6. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

..........because my Rheumy didn't seem to believe in Candida or Thrush when I asked him. He ignored my whitish tongue, constantly interrupted me and asked if I get canker sores, which I replied "yes, I've just recently started getting them, never had them bef..." and I believe that confirmed my CFS diagnosis. That and the other 3 questions he asked...then it was like don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you....that'll be $400 please.......

~LISA
  7. healing

healing New Member

I have sores in my mouth all the time, and my diagnosing rheumatologist told me that is a symptom of reactive arthritis (Reiter's Disease or Syndrome). The other symptoms of this autoimmune condition include shooting pains in hands & feet; chronic tendonitis type inflammation in tissues in extremities and lower back, spine; bouts of conjunctivitis, pneumonia, pleurisy; digestive and bowel disturbances; and odd rashes.
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

I do have sores in my mouth and it always hurts but I have never been asked by the doctor if I had any, and in fact I have never mentioned them to him. Then I read the reply to you by "healing" and I have every one of those symptoms that he/she posted. Guess I'd better look this up. Is this something that goes along with FM or something totally different?

Dara
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I agree with what Kady said, there are many autoimmune diseases which symptoms can be sores in mouth or rash type things on the inside of your lip..
    Take Care.............Donna
  10. selma

selma New Member

My tongue is eating away at itself and is worse lately.
    I'm really down now but know that Vit.E caps. broken open help soothe it. Also Vit. B12 heals mucous membranes. And tannic acid seems to help. Pour boiling water over about 4 teabags in 1/4 c. boiling water and let it sit and then squish the bags out. When cool enuf rinse mouth with it hold some on the area sore. You don't need to use all of it Its good for 3-4 times. My rhumy never asked @ it.
    Oh well. It usually gets better. Good luck all.
    Love & huggs, Selma
  11. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I have two long white sores that run from the very back of cheek to the front part of the cheek on both sides. Sometimes I get small sores on top of the long sore (does this make sense) Anyway, I was wondering what would cause this?? Does anyone else have the same thing, if so please let me know.
    Thanks, Vicky
    PS My sores look like two white lines running down the middle of my cheeks.[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2003]
  12. 2girls

2girls New Member

I have mouth sores all the time now since Aug/02. I have seen several doctors/dentists and not one of them have a clue what this may be. My primary doc brushes this one off each time I mention it. I also have the geographic tongue which gets tingly and numbish, along with the white coating. I would love to know why this is.

2girls
  13. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

have a sore tongue. The taste buds get swollen and are very painful. It will usually be around the tip of my tongue. And only one or two individual buds. But if I show it to someone they can see it from 3 feet away. They get real big. It seems to happen when I've had too much acid of some kind.
    I never have them when I go to the Rheumy of course.
  14. jackiec

jackiec New Member

I've had a lot more sores in my mouth the past year or so. The doctor doesn't seem concerned, but all your posts have given me some "food for thought"....thanks all.

Jackie C
  15. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

-Thrush, by sucking on Rx-Fungal-killing Tablets. Also helpful in relieving symptoms is,
    1 part Hydrogen Peroxide,2 parts water = Mouth Wash-Rinse
    and, You can put a Drop of Colloidal Silver on each sore...for healing,-once a day.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Fibromiester
  16. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Can have very similar symptoms to Fibro.

--marcus
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2003]
  17. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have a burnt sensation on the end part of my tongue. It hurts alot when eating. I have been using ice cubes, drinking lots of ice water to try and relieve it. Reading everyone elses replies helped alot. I have just finished a antibiotic, and was on one not long before that, so it could be thrush. I am bringing it up with my doctor for sure. I never experienced anything like it.

18. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Beth:
    They are always looking for lupus. One of the signs of lupus are mouth sores, and nose sores. My rheumy overlooked nose sores on questioning me about mouth sores to rule out lupus. I had nose sores, and finally told him. He said, why didn't you tell me??? But he never asked. fyi -
    hope this helps!
    sue
  19. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

Thanks Everyone,for your replies.I go to my rheumy tomorrow,so I will talk to him about this then.Thanks Again!!