Why don't they teach school kids this stuff?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Jul 9, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I wished I had been given an opportunity in school when I was young to learn about nutrition and what the body needs. Maybe I wouldn 't be where I am today with this dd..
    But then again, maybe they did teach this in high school and I was goofing off..

It sure would be helpful if our kids were getting this stuff in school. I've learned more from stormysky here on this board than I did in school or from all my doctors put together.

And my daughter who will graduate in "08" has not had anything like this subject in any of her classes and she's a straight A student.. and if she follow's in my footsteps or has any of my sick genes, the knowledge it would teach just might save her and others like her..

I hope this is making sense because I have to admit, tonight I'm trying a new drug along with all my others and I'm feeling pretty spacey right now.. So in other words I'm gonna have to say nighty night to everyone and hope to speak with you tomorrow...
  2. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My children love nothing more than junk food, and a trip to Mcdonald's is their favorite pit stop.

I have cut out the junk in our house! I refuse to allow my children to fall into the trap of all the junkies these days.

Even all the advertising, and consumer traps at the supermarket are targeted toward kids. ie: sugery cereal being eye level to our children with all of the characters, toys in the box, and colorful boxes of pure sugar.

Have you ever noticed that all of the reduced sugar, low sodium, and reduced fat items are on the very top shelves?

Our children do need guidance from school in the nutrition area. Our children also need us as parents to stand up, and start making wiser decisions at the grocery store.

When I was a child a kid's meal was a real treat. Maybe once a month, sometimes even less than that often.

You made a wonderful point with your topic Mrpain. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Angela
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i know there are some nutrition or health classes in school...but it is in college when i really learned more about the science of nutrition...

i guess that is why we have nutritionist that go to college for a degree..

i had always ate very healthy to amno acids...etc,,,

but i still go the fibro stuff...i feel so lucky..ha!

jodie
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Honey we're Killing the kids? Its on cable/dish. I've found it to be quite interesting.
  5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Good point about what the kids eat at lunch.... That's another problem. Kids aren't getting good nutritional lunches anymore. Back in the 60's when I was in school, we had great lunches everyday til I graduated..
    Now from what my daughter tells me and from what I read, those days have gone down the tubes..

And a hardy thank you to roseblossom!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I think another issue as well is the economics of proper nutrition.

Healthy food costs a lot of money.

I was too poor as a kid to be able to eat a balanced diet. Lots of pasta, cause pasta was cheap. Went to an outlet store for bread and cookies, cause that was cheap. That type of thing.

I didn't learn how to eat well until I was an adult. My kids don't have to worry about Thursday night eating eggs and bacon for dinner because nothing else was left in the fridge and Friday was payday.

If you're in that spot now, believe me, I know how it feels and I hope you don't have to be there for long.

You do the best you can with the tools you have. Hopefully, my kids will have a better set of tools!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  7. turtlelou

turtlelou New Member

Being a teacher I could probably give you some insight on this question. It is one of my soapboxes, so be prepared. Policymakers determine what is taught in the schools - politicians, upper administration. They are puppets to the government. Unfortunately, funding is very low. Do you realize that my district doesn't even fund for physical education teachers in the elementary schools? child obesity is at an all time high, and I wouldn't feed our school lunch to anyone or anything I cared about. We have so much curriculum to cover and spend so much time giving tests due to No Child Left Behind, that there is hardly any time for art, health, social studies, and other "frivolous curricula."

I will let you in on a secret: the people who change educational trends are the parents, voters, and the public. Teachers have much less power than you realize. The change will come from you all. If you really care, write letters. One viewing of Supersize Me scared me to death!

My school is very lucky. Our parent organization was able to raise enough money to actually hire a P.E. teacher for next year. But what about lower-income schools who do not have the monetary resources to hire a P.E. teacher? Lower income children are doing without once again. If you believe our schools give equal opportunity, think agian. So much is based on parent organizations and raising the money for their school alone. Once again the rich get richer...
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

Great topic, mrpain! One of my soapboxes, too!!!

Turtlelou, thank you...it is good for us to know that the parents are the key to everything. Watchfullness and activism by them is vital. The problem is, the young parents of today are as uneducated about nutrition as the kids. They were never given the chance to learn it either, so how can they pass it on to their kids and schools?

The proliferation of fast food chains and garbage called food is contributing to our national obesity.
    The fast food chains are slowly offering alternatives, but what kid is going to eat an iceberg salad (how much nutrition in that?) or fruit, when there are french fries from trans fats, breaded chicken "nuggets" with very tiny pieces of chicken (mostly breading), etc.

When I watch the news, I look at the families shown together...it is absolutely terrible..whole families who are obese, even the 5-6 yr olds! There is a terrible health crisis looming.

I think there is a concerted, active effort to control populations all over to world, and actually, the governments don't care how many people die; therefore, there will be lots of half-a--ed efforts pretending to be concerned, but no effective action, like mandatory heavy-duty PE classes, weight monitoring and nutrition classes.

It is wierd. My kids ate really well, but they don't make their kids do so, and now one has CFS and the other is getting fat. I talk to him constantly about nutrition, but he says veggies make him throw up. I keep trying.

Thanks for a very important topic!

findmind

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well look what they serve for school lunches to get a clue!!! Some schools are switching to Healthy Ovens

Most doctors eat real trash for a diet. Ditto many nurses. Look what is available in hospitals-although I must say the hospital cafeteria does have some healthy food these days too. I was at my FP the other week and he was rushing through the appt to get to the free lunch from some drug company that had two huge bottles diet soda onion rings and a lot of other greasy looking starch.

The advertising industry makes a lot of money from kids selling junk food to them. My 12 year old is having school lunches at summer school for first time, and this his third day, he said "Mom, the food does not taste like food, so I just ate a bana and choc milk." This kid loves brussel sprouts, all fruits, all beans, salads. sardines etc etc because it is all he knows.

BTW my new pain doc is putting me on...."the Shake" !!!

Love Anne Cromwell
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I do know that when I was in school, we drank milk or water. My son had the choice of milk, sodas, etc. We had no candy machines; he did; the school he attended had a lunch room and a canteen. We did, however, have the option of taking our own lunch but we never did; I don't think we could afford lunch pail.

What about these frozen kid's meals? Any opinions/input on these? I know my nephews like them; have you seen the tiny little burgers in them? Just curious what anyone thinks about them.

Things surely do change don't they?

BlueSky555
  11. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

My son took the class in high school. They call it "foods".
    A big part of it is all about proper nutrition, well balanced meals, making good food choices. I was really impressed until they got to the actual cooking part.

They made fudge brownies, cheese quesidias, indian fry bread, cinnamon rolls, and beef stroganoff. And they cook everything withs lots of margarine.

Thank God my son cooks at home and can make better choices.

LOIS
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As a former teacher, I agree completely! In fact, I think Health/nutrition and communication skills are probably the most important things high school students need to learn for increasing their chances of having long, happy lives.

Of course, Reading, Math, English, and other subjects are important, too.

It's also amazing that for doctors in training, extremely little time is devoted to nutrition in the vast majority of med schools.

Kholmes
  13. mrpain

mrpain New Member

you know exactly what I'm talking about. You see it first hand and obviously have the inside scoop. Nice to hear from you. You teachers have my full respect and they need to double your pay whatever it may be..
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well said. People do not realize that 80% and more of school budgets also go into admin and buildings and transport, leaving very little for actual teaching.

Our district does PE three times a week, but lunch is like 12 mins. I disagree about the USDA program being nutritious as acyually is reflects the sort of nutrition that lines the supermarkets-a lot of processed foods with transfats, no whole foods and nothing at all that looks the way it did when it was alive.

Healthy Ovens does a great job of providing true nutrition at the same cost as most of the outfits that currently supply schools.

We live in a very proactive town and from September our lunches will change for the better. Soda machines are out of schools. I just hope they give a bit longer for actually chewing food and being able to wash hands. For now I have to let Danny jnr do the lunch thing at summer school due to heat and no fridge to store food in, but he has quickly discovered what he was "missing" not a lot.

The NCLB is causing so many schools to actually cheat on figures too, as well as teaching purely to test rather than to gain knowledge. Our classrooms have 25 kids per teacher and 9 or ten periods a day-now who thought this was OK and ours is reckoned to be a good district-why, because we live in a university town so a lot of the kids are very bright and the school takes credit. If this same system was out in the styx it would be a different outcome.

Love Anne Cromwell
  15. mrpain

mrpain New Member

You sound like a very smart and educated lady. I'm sorry you are bothered with so much pain. Your profile is very interesting. How do you like New York? Well nice meeting you and hope you have a great day!
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and i remember learning about nutrition way back when...

we had health class....we were all taught about the four food groups...etc...then it when to the pryamid...which changes from time to tiem..

that was in michigan...

now i have son who goes to school out here in california...he graduates from h.s. 2008 as well..

i know from the time he was in daycare i packed his lunches...i had one of the teacher's tell me cody always comes to school with the best lunches...i said what do you mean? sh e said some parents pack pepsi's and candy etc...in the lunches...

i feel alot of parents need to teach their own children proper eating as well....
    i have to go get my son from footbal practice...

i got to go..

jodie
  17. mrpain

mrpain New Member

with you jodi; we as parents need to team up with the schools and teach our kids the best we can. You must pack some dynamite lunches... I just wish the schools would do the same and serve some dynamite lunches...as in healthy. If I was to list what my daughters daily menu was at school, you wouldn't believe it...

She does the best she can til she can get home and eat healthy. And she does eat healthy and loves it. It's probably a liitle unusual for a teenager, but she's not one to eat at burger places.. She rather eat healthy. Not a strict diet, but somewhat healthy..
  18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well thank you. I try to keep up. My problem is I always had my irons in too many fires and was born to early!!! By this I mean that it was so hard for women to get into things when I was the right age-I was actually the very first female executive (due to being a training Director) at a massive GE plant in UK and when I went to the executive dining room, 80% of the men actually turned their backs on me in a mass protest!!!

They were so "old club" and totally appalled at a woman being in such a job! I would not mind I had more brains than half of them put together as they were, in essence a crowd of old school chums just passing time in meetings at work.

I do feel that if I had been born 15 years later I would have been able to do something really worthwhile, maybe even great. It was so much harder being a woman then (I am 60 this year)if one was smart and ambitious, yet easier being a woman then if one was happy to sit back and be a Stepford Wife.

Even when I ran as a candidate in British politics and chosen as such, the men still expected me to make the tea for them, yet they bowed and scraped around the male candidates.

I feel even so, I have done some useful things, established a couple of soup kitchens, advocated strongly for the underdog, helped people at the bottom raise themselves up and I do feel I am making a difference in some small way advocating for special needs people and kids.

It breaks my heart when I see this current generation of young girls and women being sucked right back into being nothing but a chattel again, as we fought so hard to establish women's rights and equality, and now we have it, so many teens and young women are throwing it away.

I happened to catch a glimpse last night of a tv program where tens are apparently watching videos that encourage violence-I mean these are self filmed videos of teens smashing each other to pieces-I had to turn it off, I was so sickened. Then I think of Kevin, valiantly serving his country, and all those young kids out in Iraq and elsewhere, and these same agers almost at home behaving in this way. Makes me want to weep.

You are a smart person and I enjoy your posts a lot. I often wonder if we were all suddenly flung together in person whether we would all actually "get on" in real life, as my firneds here seem a lot more on the ball and reliable than many I have known personally.(LOL)

Well, off to face the day...

Love Anne Cromwell